A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 319,830
Currently Running With Scissors:
222 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to ask a person to do a personal swap?  (Read 2419 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

JoyfulClover
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Live long and prosper

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017 06:19:23 PM »

I'm with you on the anxiety though, for me it's because I'm in Ireland, so I rarely all because I don't want to burden someone with extra postage. So I would say, just ask. I rarely do. Heck I've just reminded myself of teenage me standing at the side of school discos desperately hoping someone would ask me to dance

Dude. Seriously? I would totally swap with you! This reminds me of the high school friend who reminds me practically monthly that he had a crush on me in high school. Totally never knew. Oblivious!  Roll Eyes

I regularly think of things to craft for fellow craftsters. I might even have a private board on Pinterest for such a thing. Or a couple pages in my crafting notebook. Which might be full and I need a new one. (Note to self) I'm burnt out on regular swaps. I should do a rash of personal swaps after the beginning of the year! When was the last time we had an IYP swap?

And personal swaps are awesome by the way. One Craftster invited me to do my first personal swap and, even though she no longer frequents Craftster, I am still friends on FB with her!

Y'all SLAY ME.

Also, I must have missed the update at some point. Weird.

edel!  You should never worry about asking!  I would totes swap with you! But I just asked someone for the first time and I think I gave at least 10 ways she could say no and not feel badly about it. Shades of middle school science buddy ALL OVER the place, so I get it. But I truly hope the shipping component alone never holds you back.

Ha!  Fate!  *I* completely have private boards for personal swaps for partners I do NOT have!  I briefly considered randomly swap bombing people as well! I know CLM did it a while back and I was so inspired by It. It would be fun to just make and send to people as a random act. The sheer plotting and planning makes me giddy!

Also, I agree with you. I'm kinda burned out as well. I'm going to finish this final swap and then I'm taking a break. I have a list of things I'd like to make/do and never seen to get to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

flamingo obsessed

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017 04:01:15 AM »

fatewineroses and joyfulclover I am definitely going to hit you guys up in the new year. and " I gave at least 10 ways she could say no and not feel badly about it." (that is so me!)

I have done a bit of random acts of craftiness, made a small item and sent it to previous partners, or people who have been having a hard time. it is a cool thing to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps,  I print a lot of random fabric, usually with no purpose in mind.  let me know if you want any of it.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017 05:54:50 AM »

*chanting*  Do it!  Do it!  Do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017 09:10:11 PM »

That was actually my initial thought: just make a nice thing and send it to this Craftster because she's awesome. But then I thought I might make her feel awkward so I decided on swapping.
I still haven't found the missing doll though, so I don't know when/if it will happen because it's a harder to find one. When searching for it online, the prices made me weep. Maybe I'll luck up and find a cheapish one though. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I *will* find one! *determined hero pose* (I may have been watching too much anime lately...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017 04:15:17 AM »

If you can find it, I hope you make and send it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017 11:57:01 AM »

I vote for ask! If the person is too busy or whatever they will just tell you but they'll probably still feel very happy they were asked in the first place.

Oh Edel, it is true that there can be a little sticker shock when mailing overseas but you are so worth it! You are a pleasure to swap with and fun to craft for, I love your work as you well know Kiss. And I am slowly getting wise to choosing the flatter ideas I have for you and other far away partners, live and learn!

... my initial thought: just make a nice thing and send it to this Craftster because she's awesome. But then I thought I might make her feel awkward...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I must real good at making people feel awkward, ha! I can hardly ever resist this temptation. Sometimes I think people must think I am completely crazy. Don't care! Too fun! Mail is awesome, I love sending it at least as much as I love receiving it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

flamingo obsessed

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017 07:16:34 AM »

I vote for ask! If the person is too busy or whatever they will just tell you but they'll probably still feel very happy they were asked in the first place.

Oh Edel, it is true that there can be a little sticker shock when mailing overseas but you are so worth it! You are a pleasure to swap with and fun to craft for, I love your work as you well know Kiss. And I am slowly getting wise to choosing the flatter ideas I have for you and other far away partners, live and learn!

... my initial thought: just make a nice thing and send it to this Craftster because she's awesome. But then I thought I might make her feel awkward...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I must real good at making people feel awkward, ha! I can hardly ever resist this temptation. Sometimes I think people must think I am completely crazy. Don't care! Too fun! Mail is awesome, I love sending it at least as much as I love receiving it!

Thank you CLM you are wonderful and definitely not an awkward creator, at least not so far as I've seen.

I'm with you on its fun to send and receive.

Re mail costs. I have learned from my first swap to make things from fabric as much as possible, you can squeeze an awful lot of fabric into a small space. But that means I can send seen stuff, patchwork, hoopla, stenciled tees, lino print fabric etc etc. Having those boundaries makes it easier for me to choose what to send

Redhead, you should totally send it. I think most people here would be stoked to receive a random gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps,  I print a lot of random fabric, usually with no purpose in mind.  let me know if you want any of it.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
RedheadWithThread

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017 01:49:52 PM »

I'm thinking I'll use a different doll, if I can get the time to work on it. My toddler likes "helping" me craft and last time I tried working on a custom doll, he tried eating its head. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...