A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 313,849
Currently Running With Scissors:
297 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer Term 2017*~ Join anytime!  (Read 11495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moonflame
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2017 03:42:34 PM »

OMG, Patty_o_furniture! That wall is fabulous! Can't wait to see your movie room! Cheesy

Class: Arithmancy
House: Hufflepuff
S.P.E.W.: N./A.
Project Name: Lambie Hat
Project Link: I was inspired by Guppykisses's amazing work to make a hat of my own.
Project Description: I used both crocheting and embroidery techniques to make this hat. Arithmancy is a tough class for me, but I really enjoyed this term. Smiley
Project Pic:

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Cheesecake
Project Link: https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/106180/no-bake-chocolate-cheesecake-pie/
Project Description: The strawberry cheesecake had disappeared (family of 6) and the big girls were requesting a chocolate cheesecake this time. I used the linked recipe, except that I made the crust from: 1 package Glutino chocolate sandwich cookies (minus NO test cookies, lol!), about 1/3 c almond meal, 3 T butter, all crushed up together and packed into a Springform pan. Additionally, I added about 1/3 c mini choco chips to the filling. Yum! Cheesy  The mini chips were a brain wave I had because the cream cheese in the filling would NOT get smooth. FOor the first recipe, I melted it a bit and it got nice and creamy, but this recipe simply called for beating it hard with an electric mixer. Unfortunately, this left tiny little bitty lumps of cream cheese in the filling no matter how much I kept beating it. I added the mini choc chips because I knew that their texture would hide any remaining lumps in the cream cheese. ^_^
Project Pic:

Class: Transfiguration
Project Name: Bear Hat
Project Description:  I was inspired by our beetles-to-buttons homework to make this bear hat with a "button nose." ^_^ Pippa isn't sure about it yet.
Project Pic:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
seeuudee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smile!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2017 12:52:57 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Astronomy
SPEW: n/a
Project Name: Dreams Prayer Flag
Project Page Link (if available): n/a
Brief Description: As part of the prayer flag swap, you have to make one for yourself. I used some leftover red fabric, from making hubby a coat for his LARP outfit, as the background and used the selvedge offcuts from making a pair of trousers. I had no idea what I was going to do before I started sewing, so much so, that I unpicked the gray selvedge pieces twice before I was happy with them! I then played around with the charms before I was happy with the placement - although I am still not 100% happy with them, now that I look at the photo!

Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Anniversary - Mirror of Erised
Project Name: Asparagus and Stilton Risotto
Brief Description: I love risotto, but hubby doesn't like it, so I only cook it when I am cooking just for myself. This one was asparagus and stilton. I never use a recipe for making risotto, but below is what I did this time round.

Ingredients:
Small onion
Butter
Risotto rice (3 handfuls)
1 pint vegetable stock
Glass white wine
3oz Stilton - chopped into cubes
10 asparagus spears, cut into 1" pieces
Parmesan to taste

Method:
Finely chop a small onion and fry in butter, over a medium heat, until soft.
Add in risotto rice and stir in until it is all coated in the butter.
Slowly add stock and wine, a bit at a time, stirring each time until it has all gone, before adding any more.
Add in asparagus and Stilton and keep stirring until cheese is melted.
Add parmesan (I used about 2 tbsp) and keep stirring.
Serve, with more parmesan if you like more.
Eat and enjoy

Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Anniversary - Sign the Parchment
Project Name: Craftster Card Swap Pocket Letter
Brief Description: Paper crafting is definitely one of my signature crafts. I love the Craftster Card swap, so many send the cards in fantastic envelopes - I really need to up my game next time!! I couldn't bear to throw everything away, so I created a pocket letter for myself with all the bits and pieces.

Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Floo - Moon
Project Name: Cubed french toast
Brief Description: My inspiration for this was my grandmother - she was a very simple cook, in terms of ingredients and experimenting, but was very good at what she did cook. One of the things she did used to cook was Eggy Bread, which I now know is French Toast. However, she always made it as a savoury dish, served with tomato ketchup. We lived with an American friend for a while, who introduced me to French Toast served with cinnamon and sugar, which I love so much more!! (Hubby still prefers the savoury version though!)

I have had this idea pinned for a while and as hubby was away this weekend, I made this all for myself! I loved it so much, because there are more edges, you get more of the lovely crispy bits. So...inspired by Grandmother, but, in my eyes, made better.  Grin

Cube two thick slices of bread. Beat together 1 large egg, 2 tbsp milk and pinch of salt. Coat bread cubes in egg mix. Melt 1 tbsp butter and fry bread cubes until golden - don't try to turn them individually, I just kept them moving and it worked perfectly. Once golden, coat in a blend of sugar and cinnamon. I drizzled a little golden syrup over the top, but maple syrup would work also.

Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Headmistress Challenge/June - Invisibility Cloak
Project Name: HPC Bullet journal page
Brief Description: I have used a journal to make notes about my HPC submissions since the Summer term 2015. This time round I have started getting into bullet journalling, so decided to use some of the pages I have seen to set up this terms classes. This is both truly useful - it helps me keep track of classes - and truly unique - whilst the boxes could be used by anyone, no other page will be exactly like this one.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnoyingBigSister

EEVEE FOREVER!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2017 06:34:34 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Floo Powder- The Moon
House: Hufflpuff
Project Name: Agressor DeLight inspired Human Umbreon
Project Page Link (if available): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rwnoP5ZllY
Brief Description: For about 7 or so years, my mom had an amv on her laptop (its now on my MP3 player) that I ABSOLUTLY love. Seeing the different anime girls kick monster butt is surprisingly motivating. For the last week or so, I've been seeing an animation in my head to the song used in the amv, except with three human Eeveelution girls, (despite the fact that most Eevees and Eeveelutions are male XD) Jolteon, Umbreon and Leafeon. I drew Umbreon, and this is the first time I've ever drawn this pose. XD It was terrifying!!
Project Pictures:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology
Project Name: Deviled Eggs
Brief Description: For as long as I can remember, my Nanna has always made her wonderful deviled eggs, which are absolutely DELICIOUS! This morning she taught me the recipe and we made a whole batch! Smiley

2 dozen eggs

2/3 Cup mayonnaise

4 Teaspoons mustard

1 Teaspoon dill pickle juice

Salt and pepper to taste

Paprika

Hard-boil the eggs for ten minutes, then allow to cool for about 16 minutes or so. Peel eggs and cut in half lengthwise, remove the yolks and place in a bowl and put the whites on platter/plate and set aside. Mash the yolks finely (Trust me, it needs to be mashed FINELY or it'll stick when you pipe the yolks in). Mix in the mayo, mustard, juice, salt and pepper. Pipe the mix into the halved had-boiled eggs, dust with paprika and let chill in the fridge before serving.
Project Pictures:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2017 05:41:20 AM »

There's a new Floo challenge up!

This week we are in...
New Mexico
Most people think that New Mexico for its name from outs links to Mexico; but that's not true! Spanish settlers named the area after the tribes they thought lived there (which turned out not to!), and Mexico then named itself centuries later when it gained independence...
Please craft something with an unusual name! You could create a 'stained glass' window hanger using shocking green gel (what's shocking about it? It's red!), or make a cat stuffy then call him Rover, or or any other craft where either a component or end result has a  unexpected moniker!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies, felt badges,or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2017 06:16:36 AM »

Challenge: ironchef June
House: ravenclaw
Project: greek-ish salad
Tom is rather pleased that iron chef is now official because he knows it's an extra invective for me to actually make dinner occasionally!! (I have little personal challenge where every term I try to do as many hpc projects as I can Smiley a bit like sports people trying to beat their personal bests!)
Method:
Put a packet of puy lentils in to simmer for 45 mins. While they're cooking
- roughly chop an iceburg lettuce
- de-stone and halve a jar of black olives
- halve a punnet of baby plum tomatoes
- halve a bag of sugar snap peas
- slice a few stalks of celery
- dice a cucumber
Mix everything then split into two bowls
Into bowl 'Tom' and half a diced red onion, some diced feta and some grated parmesa. Mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with a pinch of rosemary, to dress.
Into bowl 'Vikki' add some 'vegan salad cheese' and some nutritional yeast flakes. (No dressing because it's gross)

Once lentils are cooked, drain them and rinse in cold water until cool. Add a couple of handfuls to each bowl. Mix!

Squeeze a quarter of a lime over each bowl

Put remaining lentils in fridge for going in salads all week, nom nom nom
Picture is of bowl 'vikki' Cheesy

Class: potions
House: ravenclaw
Project: vegan choc-orange brownies
Being a vegan, if you get a craving for brownies really the only solution is to make em yourself!
I used this recipe, replacing the egg and butter with vegan substitutes. Good quality dark chocolate is usually vegan, so that wasnt a problem but finding a dark chocolate orange with no milk was a challenge! I ended up asking my flatmate to pick some up on her way home from work, since she passes a fancy chocolate shop! I also added a layer of hazelnuts on top, because it's tasty!
I'm not sure if it was the vegan substitutions, or the hazelnuts, but I had to cook this for almost twice the time to get it to cook through, and after that is was rather more very moist cake than gooey-brownie, but it still tasted good!

FiberAlchemist - I've been working on my summer bucket list! Here are my first few items ticked off!
Making Popsicles! (Well, kind of...)
I don't actually have a popsicle mould, and since when I move (in the next couple of months) we won't have a freezer I'm reluctant to buy one... So I hope you'll except my frozen fruit quarters instead - I made frozen orange quarters (these were always my favorite treat, my grandad used to make for me when I was little because we couldn't really afford store brought icepops), and I now have some melon slices in the freezer for when I get home from work tonight!
Play Frisbee -
I was unexpectedly on standby for our matinee show on Saturday, so I managed to get done all the dissertation reading I had brought to do between shows - which meant that instead I could go to the park with my colleagues in the break. We ate 'Tesco picnic' (everyone goes to the shop and buys ready to eat stuff to share) and played frisbee Smiley you have no idea how much I loved being able to chill out in my break instead of doing stoopid university work!
Go for a bike ride
Well since I cycle to work each day that could be easy to tick off, but I felt that that want really in the spirit of the challenge. Instead, Tom and I cycled to the tourist attraction we were visiting yesterday (some 4000 year old man made caves,, the druids carved them as an underground maze), we found a nice route mostly through the parks, about 3.5 miles each way, with some good hills and nice weather Smiley

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017 07:05:11 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies, felt badges,or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2017 07:33:23 AM »

Awesome OWL work, TechnicolorAquahearts!

LOVE your mural, patty_o! Can't wait to see your new movie room.

These cheesecakes are making me drool, Moonflame!

Yay for lentils, noodle! The salad looks delicious.

~OWLs and NEWTs Updated!~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2017 08:19:33 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures Class (CoMC)
Project Name: Dormant Box
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: When your mushroom block has had a few flushes and you want to get a few more you put your block in a safe, dark space (like an empty cabinet) for a week before soaking it in water.  I don't have an empty cabinet.  I don't know anyone who DOES have an empty cabinet.  So I built a dormant box for my mushroom blocks.  I used a clear plastic tub that I already had.  I tried to cut the vent hole with my box cutter but the tub walls are much thicker than the lid and it went bad quickly.  I wound up using a drimel cutting blade and then using the box cutter to clean up the melted edges.  I drilled holes and bolted on a vent cover with window screening so nothing can get inside to damage my mushroom blocks.  Lastly I painted the outside of the box, the lid, and the box latches black so no light can get through.  It's a safe, ventilated, dark place for my mushroom blocks to go dormant.  COMPLETELY safe from Nifflers.  
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Floo Powder: The Moon
Project Name: Hackle
Project Page Link (if available):https://yarnzombie.wordpress.com
Brief Description: I've wanted to build a hackle for a long time but I couldn't find nails long enough.  Then I found a lady on Pintrest who used hair picks!!!!  The only hair picks I could find were orange so I painted my hackle's bar green so they look like orange tulips.  Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Flying Class
Project Name: Spinning Wheel Bobbins
Brief Description: Decades ago I wanted to learn how to spin, but had no idea how to access how.  Then I met people who knew how to drop spindle, and I was was afraid to learn.  Then I learned how to drop spindle and I was afraid to learn how to use a spinning wheel.  Then Netchez got me an Ashford Traditional and I built it the maidens and flyer it was missing.
But I was still very much afraid to build bobbins.  And I NEED bobbins.  Somehow, during the move up to the big farm, I lost 3 of my 5 bobbins.  We stopped by the weaving store and they don't carry any bobbins that would work for an Ashford Traditional.  I looked online and their price had gone up (though not as outrageous as the bobbins for some *other* wheels).  So I gave up and tried to make bobbins.  These four are made from wooden pieces that came in an assorted bag.  I cut, and drilled the dowels myself. I glued them all together, painted them blue, because mountians always make me think of blue, and then tried painting mountians on them. Now I'm ready for Tour de Fleece.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Pride
Project Name: Whoopie Pies
Brief Description: I've been in the mood for whoopie pies so I made some.  

Whoopie Pies

Cake
1 Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake Mix
3 tbsp water
1/2c butter
2 eggs

Heat oven as directed in chart on box.  Grease cupcake pan.  Stir ingredients.  Spread in cupcake  pan.  Bake as directed in chart or until cup cakes pass the toothpick test.  

Whipped Cream
2c Heavy whipping cream
1c sugar
Food dye

Pour heavy whipping cream into mixer bowl.  Add food coloring to suit.  Mix on low.  Slowly add sugar.  Mix on low for several minutes.  Mix on high until it becomes whipped cream.

Assembly

LET CUPCAKES COOL.  This is important so your whipping cream doesn't melt.  Cup your cupcakes in half and spoon huge dollops of whipping cream between the two halves.  Serve.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017 08:23:18 AM by midkiffsjoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
seeuudee

Smile!

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2017 11:50:54 AM »

Wow, those brownies and whoopie pies both look amazing - craving something chocolate-y now Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2017 01:16:15 PM »

I couldn't figure out what to do for Muggle Studies, but then I had an idea.....

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Muggle Studies Class
Project Name: Cream Filled Cupcakes
Brief Description:  For my hidden element I made cupcakes with whipping cream piped into the center. 

Yellow Cupcakes
1 box of Pillsbury Yellow cake mix, 1c water, 1/2 butter, 3 eggs

Set oven for 350f.  Spray cupcake pans.  Beat water, butter, eggs, and cake mix together.  Spoon batter into pans.  Bake at 350f until they pass the toothpick test.  Refer to chart on box for approximate time.  LET COOL.

Whipping cream
3c whipping cream.  1 1/2c sugar.  1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Pour chilled whipping cream into mixing bowl.  Mix vanilla into whipping cream on low and then add sugar slowly.  Mix on low for several minutes.  Mix on high until the whipping cream becomes whipped cream. 

Assembly
Place cooled cupcakes on a plate.  Use a piping bag to pipe whipped cream into cupcakes.  Top cupcakes with whipped cream.  Add toppings if you wish.  In this case I sprinkled crushed buterfingers on top.

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Moonflame
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2017 08:58:04 PM »

Yikes! Getting my Moon Floo powder in just under the wire!!

Class: Floo Powder - The Moon
S.P.E.W.: N/A
Project Name: Waffle Planner Clips
Project Description: I'm using the project to reflect light onto Pufftique and Maqaroon. I learned many of the paperclay techniques I use from watching their great videos!
Project Pic:

Posted before midnight my time but I wanted to add this pic. I think the deadline is Central anyway?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017 09:01:41 PM by Moonflame - Reason: adding a closeup » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...