A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 314,849
Currently Running With Scissors:
169 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: April ATCs  (Read 1368 times)
Tags for this thread: atc , unicorn , horse , goth , woman , kirby , nintendo , paperdoll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Patraw

I've seen stuff that would make your tail poofy!

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2017 08:31:42 AM »

So . . . it's already May and these are only the second art project that I've done all year; 2017 hasn't been terribly creative/productive for me thus far. Tongue  Anyhoo, here are the four cards that I did for Craftster's April ATC swap:

For my first card, which went to Texas, I chose Smileyyogini's "unicorns" theme. I based this on a black and white photo from one of my many horse books (adding the horns of course). I must have been subconsciously thinking of the My Little Pony pegasus Lily Blossom (my second favorite flying horse after Rainbow Dash) when I gave the unicorn in the front a lilac coat and a blonde mane.

The second card I made focused on Emilywilde's "goth" theme. I used a photo of a real woman as my reference model, changing her outfit into a more goth-like affair and adding jewelry/piercings and a shoulder tattoo. Dripping black ink/paint seemed like a good thing to use for the background, so, that's what I went with.

My third ATC, also for Emilywilde in Oregon, tackled her "8-bit Nintendo games" theme. She indicated Kirby was her favorite, and I'm also fond of said little rotund pink vaccuum, so, that's what I did. I tend to like the monsters and enemies in video games a lot more than the protagonist(s) though, so, rather than doing Kirby alone, I had him struggling against, and losing to, the cyclopean storm cloud boss, Kracko. It occurred to me that "Kracko" and "wacko" rhyme, so I just had to put that phrase on there.

My fourth and final ATC of the month went off to Florida to live with Greybird. I love paper dolls, but I seldom ever make any of my own, so, Greybird listing that as one of her ATC themes was a golden opportunity for me to do so. Besides, I've gotten several paper doll ATCs from other Craftster members, so, it was about time that I returned the favor!  Rather than a full figure, given an ATC's relatively small size, I felt it was better to do a zoomed-in view of the torso instead. The little triangle on the back is a stand that folds out so that the card can be displayed upright on a flat surface.  As I have no fashion sense whatsoever (I'm lucky if my socks match) I used photos of real women and clothing from various fashion magazines (Vogue, Seventeen, Glamour, & Allure) for inspiration.

Here's an animated GIF of some of the paper doll's possible looks. I put the frames in the same order that I made the pairs of outfits/wigs.

And this is a broader view of all the separate components.  The wigs are helmet-like affairs (there's a piece of white paper glued to their backs), inspired by my Liv and Moxie Teenz dolls, that slip over the head (there's a slit cut there, between the top of her hairline and the green border, which you can see on the back view of the card above, to accommodate that).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017 05:06:30 PM »

These are great.  I especially like the goth girl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017 08:17:08 PM »

These may be the second thing you've done all year, but remarkable all the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017 08:37:25 PM »

I love how different your pieces are. It's a toss up between the Unicorns and the Goth piece. Both make me want to know more.

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
anderlance

I'm a Craftster best of 2014 winner!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017 10:25:31 AM »

Fantastic; but the one I adore most is the most is the paper doll ATC!  Well done Sir!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead.
Yaqulek
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017 03:14:19 AM »

These are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017 08:34:37 AM »

That paper doll atc! Wow!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017 01:31:29 PM »

I love these ATCs! I was so disappointed that you didn't join for May so I could try to collect one of your amazing cards. Maybe next month? Hint, hint.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017 05:45:55 PM »

These are awesome! I second the motion that you should join the June ATC swap, BTW! You'd have us all champing at the bit to get in on some of this fabulous ATC action!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017 07:24:24 PM »

I couldn't draw my stick figure self out of a well, but I agree with others in wanting to get in on your ATC action.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Elf on a Shelf Tutu
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...