A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,291
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cinco de Mayo party decor  (Read 996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

steiconi
« on: April 26, 2017 11:03:40 AM »

I just volunteered to help a friend decorate for her annual Cinco de Mayo party.
Surprisingly, she doesn't have a lot of decorations, so I'd like to make a few that she can store and reuse.

I'd like to do something with a lot of impact, cheap materials, and FAST--we're decorating the day after tomorrow.

It'll be in her garage (which is amazingly tidy all year).  She'll have long tables that could use some kind of colorful runners or something.  We can hang something from the ceiling and/or along the walls.

I have several colors of tissue paper, so I'm thinking flowers, chili peppers, and/or fringed banners from that.

Not a lot of craft resources here, Walmart is my best bet for supplies.

any more quick and easy FIESTA ideas?
thanks!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017 11:05:13 AM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
SuzyScissor
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017 11:17:20 AM »

How about something like this plastic tablecloth backdrop in red and green?  https://rainonatinroof.com/2013/05/diy-party-backdrop-tutorial-cheap-easy/

Do either of you have Christmas decorations that might work like big red bows, green table clothes or white lights? Can you make a piata? That should be almost free to make. Just keep it on a table as decor instead of breaking open. Does Walmart have straw sombreros that you could decorate? Felt is cheap, you could make Mexican wrestling masks!
I like your idea of tissue balls, they would be festive hung up!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017 11:19:55 AM by SuzyScissor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017 11:45:37 AM »

the tablecloth backdrop is a neat idea!

I'll ask about her xmas decor, I don't do a lot of traditional xmas.

She'll have pinatas filled with interesting stuff.  One year she included mini liquor bottles.

Felt is free if I shop my garage, that's a great idea!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017 01:02:11 PM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017 12:10:54 PM »

Tissue paper flowers? Photo props for selfies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017 10:30:24 AM »

whew, neither Walmart nor Target had anything Cinco related, and I didn't make it to Costco (which is 3 hours away).

I found some ideas online; I'm going to print a banner that says "FIESTA!" (one letter on each page, bright colored paper), and make a tissue paper chili pepper or two, and turn out some multi-color tissue flowers.

She'll be able to store the banner easily, not so much the tissue stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017 10:40:53 AM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuzyScissor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017 07:50:40 AM »

Do you have photos of what you ended up doing? Would love to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017 09:56:46 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to take pix.  Did about a dozen paper flowers, some in red-white-green, some in bright multicolors, plus the Fiesta Banner.  Somebody else found some paper cacti and some honeycomb disks, so the place was bright and festive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuzyScissor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017 08:09:35 AM »

Sounds feative! I love a good party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017 09:11:17 AM »

The best part of that party (they do it every year) is the people.  He works at a multinational research facility, so there are always people with little experience of American (much less Mexican) customs who are mystified by the the idea of whacking the decorations to get candy and toys.  But everybody loves the margaritas from home-grown limes, and the fabulous potluck spread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...