A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
272 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The elusive jackelope in it's natural environment, interactive mini art quilt  (Read 3212 times)
Tags for this thread: mini_art_quilt , jackelope , strip_quilt , string_quilt , interactive , mini_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2017 06:18:10 AM »

Made for sloth in the mini art quilt swap 8. My partner is a pretty quirky gal, I knew I had to make her something strange and wondrous. I hope I succeeded.

It's strip or string piecing with one side of the strip overlapped and the other left raw.
I visually divided the panel up into 3 and fit the colours for each scene in.

Using sticky dissolvable solvy over the top, sketched some lines and sewed all over to hold the strips in place. The solvy washes away afterwards.

Added the sun and birds, mountains & cacti, a campfire to each panel using double sided fusible web.

I used the fusible web to add a layer of felt inside instead of batting so it would all start out and stay relatively flat since it's supposed to hang and I didn't want it wavy at all. I fused the felt on both sides, to the front panel and the backing fabric on the other side.
Divided the panels with strips of black then bound it all with dark brown.

Some of the quilting was done before adding detail, some afterwards.

Zig zag stitching to give the cacti spikiness.

The campfire is my favourite scene. The tree silhouettes are sketched in thread by machine.

There are 5 magnets hidden inside the quilt and one on the back of the jackelope so he can be positioned in each scene. Jackelope is an image found online (I have since lost the info about the source, terrible me!) and printed onto fabric.

The magnets are those really strong ones so as you hold Jack and circle round the quilt looking for them he pretty much jumps out of your hand into the spot when he gets close enough. That was so fun to do Cheesy.

ETA: each scene was heavily inspired by other landscape quilts I found online.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017 08:27:57 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
JoyfulClover
Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017 06:40:01 AM »

How I imagined you created this piece, and how you actually did it are entirely different! It is amazing how you were able to see so far ahead!

You are a very talented woman. I'm so happy you shared your process!

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dfabbric
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017 06:53:34 AM »

Wow This is Great. I love it. Thanks for sharing the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My fabric and more store (30% off 12/1/17-12/4/17)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpoolMonkey
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017 07:57:43 AM »

Just WOW! Beautiful AND fun(ny)!, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 77
BeaG
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017 08:03:57 AM »

Great idea and perfect execution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017 08:34:36 AM »

Thank gals, I was frankly pretty nervous about it being liked. I have done very little quilting and sloth is super experienced with it so I tried real hard to make something worthy. The jackelope part was so fun, she had that in her Q along with some other ridiculously amusing stuff. It was difficult to choose what silly awesome thing to go with off her list Cheesy.

I was really inspired by Cathy Geier's Lovely Landscape Quilts book. She does the most beautiful things with scraps.
http://cathygeier.blogspot.ca/2014/12/my-book-lovely-landscape-quilts-review.html

How I imagined you created this piece, and how you actually did it are entirely different!

I am so curious to hear how you imagined it was done. I just made it up as I went along, I'm sure the process could happen in so many different ways.
You know the little squares are entirely inspired by your "JOY" piece Smiley.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017 08:40:19 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017 08:52:56 AM »

Sometimes I think not having preconceived notions of how things are "suppose" to be done really sets off the creative fire!  I loved reading your process...you just did it!

Beautiful and so perfect for our quirky weird friend sloth! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover
Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017 10:12:01 AM »

I was really inspired by Cathy Geier's Lovely Landscape Quilts book. She does the most beautiful things with scraps.
http://cathygeier.blogspot.ca/2014/12/my-book-lovely-landscape-quilts-review.html

How I imagined you created this piece, and how you actually did it are entirely different!

I am so curious to hear how you imagined it was done. I just made it up as I went along, I'm sure the process could happen in so many different ways.
You know the little squares are entirely inspired by your "JOY" piece Smiley.

I have Katie Pasquini Masopust's 'Fractured Landscape Quilts', and 'Inspirations in Design for the Creative Quilter'. Both of them are ridiculously inspiring. And once you read her process, it feels 100% achieveable. I would fan-girl if I met her. I am putting yours on my wish list. Can't wait to check it out!

Misconceptions: I really thought they were individual panels, connected after. I assumed you had standard pieced them together and then did some appliqued on top. The solvy is a complete surprise, but an amazing solution, and I am imagining the exposed raw edges gives it a textural feel. Yeah, baby! The campfire sky looked to have been sewn vertical to the horizontal.

I love the scrappy joyful embers! *grins*

So, I basically covet the jdiw!jbfj.djbd outta this sucker. Thrilled you made it and shared with us! Y'all were such a good match!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017 10:26:22 AM »

Those both look amazing. I checked and my library has Design Explorations for the Creative Quilter, I put it on hold.

I love solvy, I think I have 3 or 4 kinds of it stashed now, ha Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greybird
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017 02:26:45 PM »

Really cool!    Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...