A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leftover Duck Ramen  (Read 1136 times)
Tags for this thread: soup , recipe , leftovers , dinner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2017 02:26:09 PM »

I made this last night and it worked rather well. Apologies in advance for the no pics - it did briefly cross my mind but I was too busy eating it!  Picture, if you will, a large bowl piled with egg noodles, crisped duck, boiled egg and chopped coriander, all covered with a steaming broth.  That's what it looked like.

Quantities are slightly hand-wavy because I kinda made this up as I went, with whatever was in the fridge/cupboard.  But it seems like a pretty forgiving recipe.

Ingredients (serves 2)
Leftover roast duck carcass
Stock veg (carrot, celery, onion, etc.)

Marinade
2-3 tbsp Shaoxing wine
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
~1 tsp ground coriander
Ground white pepper (to taste)
Chilli (to taste, I used ~1/2 tsp of lazy chillis out of a jar)

Soup
~1 to 1-1/2 pt duck stock*, aka "enough for two hungry-ish people" (see below)
5-6 dried shii-take mushrooms, soaked in boiling water (save the soaking liquid to add to the soup) and sliced
1 baby leek or 2 spring onions, finely sliced (I used a leek and did long thin strips)
1" piece of ginger, peeled and finely sliced into strips
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1-2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
5-6 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
Two whole star anise
Salt & pepper to taste
Egg noodles, enough for two people (or use your favourite noodles)

Topping
1 egg, medium boiled (yolk still slightly runny in the centre)
Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Drizzle of sesame oil (optional)

Directions
Remove all the remaining duck meat from the carcass (we ended up with probably about half a lb, four of us had already had a good meal off it on Easter Sunday). Use the carcass plus stock veg to make a duck stock.* Slice the duck meat into smallish slivers, then mix with the marinade ingredients, cover and leave to sit in the fridge for at least half an hour (adjust the quantity of marinade ingredients if necessary - the meat should be nicely coated but shouldn't be swimming in liquid). When ready to make the ramen, spread the marinated duck evenly on a baking tray and crisp in an oven at 180oC for a total of 20 mins (check and turn after 10 mins).

While the duck is marinating, prepare the soup ingredients. When ready to assemble the ramen, place all the soup items (except for the noodles) in a pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for ~15 mins while the duck is crisping in the oven. Taste the soup during cooking and adjust seasoning as preferred. During the last ~5 mins, cook the noodles as directed by the packet.

To serve, peel the boiled egg and cut into quarters. Share the noodles between two warmed bowls, top with the crispy shredded duck, egg and fresh coriander, then pour the prepared soup over the top (remove the star anise first!) and drizzle with more sesame oil if you're like me and have a slight addiction to the stuff. Enjoy!

*Note: For two people, I didn't need all the stock made from our duck carcass. The remaining stock will probably become ramen v.2.0 or some other kind of soup in the near future.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017 07:17:11 AM »

What a great way to use your leftovers! I think this would also work well with chicken! I've never eaten duck before and I'm not sure it's readily available here....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017 07:40:58 AM »

We have a duck in the freezer and this recipe makes me want to defrost and cook it this week.  Thank you!  Lindy, most decent grocery stores carry duck in the freezer section near wherever they keep their turkeys.  I got ours at Harris Teeter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017 07:47:29 AM »

We have a duck in the freezer and this recipe makes me want to defrost and cook it this week.  Thank you!  Lindy, most decent grocery stores carry duck in the freezer section near wherever they keep their turkeys.  I got ours at Harris Teeter. 

I bet I could also find it at an Asian grocery store....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017 07:56:27 AM »

What a great way to use your leftovers! I think this would also work well with chicken! I've never eaten duck before and I'm not sure it's readily available here....

Funny you should say that, I have some left-over chicken from a roast we had the other night and I am planning exactly that for supper tonight!  Smiley  Already made the stock last night, need to put some marinade on the meat.  Although I'm thinking it'd be better to gently stir-fry the chicken, I don't think it'd cooperate well if I shoved it in the oven, not enough fat on it.  I'll take photos this time!  Wink

We don't have duck very often, once or twice a year at the most, but we're lucky because my brother-in-law knows a local farmer through work who raises really great geese and ducks (and probably turkeys too), and she always picks us out a really good one.  It's such a treat that we never want to waste any of it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017 08:03:12 AM »

Wow, farm raised fresh duck sounds fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017 08:20:48 AM »

It is, we're very fortunate that Neil got to know her when he was doing his PhD in agriculture.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017 02:19:51 PM »

The chicken version:

This time I added some thin strips of carrot to up the veg quotient and because I like it.  Smiley  The strange brown things in the dish are the shii-take mushrooms still soaking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017 08:16:05 PM »

That looks fantastic
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...