A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,015
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is it Ok to buy $400 machine with zero experience in sewing?  (Read 634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Cutiebun
« on: April 08, 2017 07:33:10 PM »

Hi All,
I am a newbie in sewing with zero experience. I want to buy a sewing machine to start with. I intend to make apparel for family, and some home craft work. I am buying a Janome Hd718 mechanical sewing machine with 18 stitches and basic functions. I want a machine which grows with me. It's costing me CAD$400. I don't want to change my machine after 2 or 3 yes, so opting for a good intermediate machine. But I am scared to break it as I have absolute zero experience. So I want to ask if it's ok for me to buy a good new machine or try my hands first on an old used machine(I don't know what shape it would be in). Need advice please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017 08:06:03 AM »

Hi there and welcome to Craftster!

Having an old machine serviced is not cheap and even less so if it needs anything beyond a basic cleaning and oiling. A lot of sewing machine shops offer some free tutorials or even classes when you buy from them, even if it's a refurbished machine (which I consider just as good as a new machine in many cases). I highly recommend some instructionals before purchasing or at least before you start using a new machine in earnest. It's fun to play and learn how to sew but it's best to start with some foundation skills. See if the shop you're buying from will show you around a few machines and let you try basic stitches before you commit.
Once you have a machine the most important thing is properly using it and good, regular maintenance. I have my machines serviced yearly at a minimum, that is so much less costly than waiting until they need repair or replacing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017 10:42:00 AM »

Yes, get yourself a good, easy-to-use, reliable machine! 
As Picasso said, "A great artist can paint with a toothbrush.  Newbies need good tools."

maybe I'm paraphrasing.  and maybe it wasn't Picasso.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
amarok
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017 02:26:29 AM »

I would go (and did so) to the nearest reputable sewing machine shop and ask everything from the seller and try out lots of machines. My dealer prompted me to take a project with me, and we sewed my own project with her, using the two sewing machines I was trying to decide between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017 08:28:53 AM »

If you are worried about never having used a machine before I would suggest finding someone you know that has a machine to show you how to use one (most machines end up being similar to use) or seeing if any local quilt/fabric shops have a beginner class with a machine you can use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa
@Home This Weekend: Updated Yardbird
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...