A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 311,860
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doggie Bag that's not a Leftover  (Read 286 times)
Tags for this thread: backpack , school_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pesky pixie
Kitschy Crocheter

Hook like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2017 10:02:09 AM »

I saw a free pattern from Ravelry which used the Wendy's Four Legged Friends Scarf kit and made it into a cute backpack.
Here's a link to that pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/four-legged-friends-backpack

So I decided to order another scarf kit and make a backpack out of it. The problem is that the pattern is for knitting one and I can only crochet. So I made up my own bag by just looking at their photos. (Sorry all these photos are sideways. They aren't that way on my computer so I don't know why they are displaying that way on here).

Anyway, here it is. I made the orange striped dog kit. I yarn stitched his floppy dog ears down to the flap. It was crocheted using a size G crochet hook.

I began by making the bottom. For this I used left-over yarns from all the scarf kits I have already made and I'm glad I did because I barely had enough yarn from the one skein they provide in the kit to finish this bag. It's just a simple single crocheted spiral using the increase stitch every 6 stitches for each round.

This is the back. I made one wide strap centered in the back so that this bag is like a sling bag. The yarn is stretchy enough that this strap can be slung around the shoulder but it would fit a child better than an adult.

Here's just another side view. I stuffed him with fabric pieces to fill him out for the photo. It's single crocheted throughout the body until you reach the top. Then I front post double crocheted, back post double crocheted alternately for three rows leaving six free spaces every 16 stitches for a drawstring cord to be woven through for closure.

I hope you can get an idea of the size of this backpack from this last picture. It's just a regular sized chair. I looped the back strap around one of the chair's back slats so you could see it. The whole head is attached to a flap that flips up to open it and the drawstring is under his chin.

This was a really fun project and I enjoyed the challenge of converting it from a knitting project to a crocheted project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017 04:36:33 AM »

i love his kooky eyes! i also like your choice of yarn. he's super cute as a striped dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017 08:06:07 PM »

Any kid would be thrilled to carry this to school. Heck, I'd be excited to tote him around! He's super cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anderlance

I'm a Craftster best of 2014 winner!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017 09:02:11 AM »

What a great bag!  I love the colors you chose.  Thanks for the pattern link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...