A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 319,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
232 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doggie Bag that's not a Leftover  (Read 558 times)
Tags for this thread: backpack , school_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pesky pixie
Kitschy Crocheter

Hook like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2017 10:02:09 AM »

I saw a free pattern from Ravelry which used the Wendy's Four Legged Friends Scarf kit and made it into a cute backpack.
Here's a link to that pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/four-legged-friends-backpack

So I decided to order another scarf kit and make a backpack out of it. The problem is that the pattern is for knitting one and I can only crochet. So I made up my own bag by just looking at their photos. (Sorry all these photos are sideways. They aren't that way on my computer so I don't know why they are displaying that way on here).

Anyway, here it is. I made the orange striped dog kit. I yarn stitched his floppy dog ears down to the flap. It was crocheted using a size G crochet hook.

I began by making the bottom. For this I used left-over yarns from all the scarf kits I have already made and I'm glad I did because I barely had enough yarn from the one skein they provide in the kit to finish this bag. It's just a simple single crocheted spiral using the increase stitch every 6 stitches for each round.

This is the back. I made one wide strap centered in the back so that this bag is like a sling bag. The yarn is stretchy enough that this strap can be slung around the shoulder but it would fit a child better than an adult.

Here's just another side view. I stuffed him with fabric pieces to fill him out for the photo. It's single crocheted throughout the body until you reach the top. Then I front post double crocheted, back post double crocheted alternately for three rows leaving six free spaces every 16 stitches for a drawstring cord to be woven through for closure.

I hope you can get an idea of the size of this backpack from this last picture. It's just a regular sized chair. I looped the back strap around one of the chair's back slats so you could see it. The whole head is attached to a flap that flips up to open it and the drawstring is under his chin.

This was a really fun project and I enjoyed the challenge of converting it from a knitting project to a crocheted project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017 04:36:33 AM »

i love his kooky eyes! i also like your choice of yarn. he's super cute as a striped dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017 08:06:07 PM »

Any kid would be thrilled to carry this to school. Heck, I'd be excited to tote him around! He's super cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anderlance

I'm a Craftster best of 2014 winner!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017 09:02:11 AM »

What a great bag!  I love the colors you chose.  Thanks for the pattern link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...