A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
181 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2017 QuiltAlong  (Read 10892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Immaculata
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2017 11:03:36 AM »

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=453747.0 

The finished potholders
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2017 07:11:00 AM »

I find places to donate some of my quilts...Quilts for Kids and Wounded Warriors are my two biggest. I do like to make random quilts and stack them in a basket by my fireplace.  When friends come over, they can snuggle with one...and if they seem extremely fond of one, I let them take it.  I love the process of making a quilt but really have no attachment once they are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2017 08:11:10 AM »

When friends come over, they can snuggle with one...and if they seem extremely fond of one, I let them take it.

Ah but that is because you are a wonderful human being
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you. Make me something for my wedding in june (pink and white) and I'll make yourself something lovely

www.pinterest.com/edelc
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2017 08:14:02 AM »

Another finish, my sweater quilt. I made two of these this year, one was for a swap and I liked it so much that I wanted one for me. They are very heavy, and if you are asthmatic like me, not the best to make because of the quantities of dusty fibres that it generates. However it was totally worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you. Make me something for my wedding in june (pink and white) and I'll make yourself something lovely

www.pinterest.com/edelc
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2017 08:42:13 AM »

When friends come over, they can snuggle with one...and if they seem extremely fond of one, I let them take it.

Ah but that is because you are a wonderful human being

True, it is known Wink.

Edel, WOW! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2017 12:10:55 PM »

The little details, like the pockets and ribbing, really make this special!  What are the sweaters made from? Can you mix and match acrylic with wools?  Does the wool "felt" when washed?  I have a lot of sweaters that were going to dump, but I can probably rescue the unworn parts... I would love a very heavy blanket like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2017 02:39:11 PM »

The little details, like the pockets and ribbing, really make this special!  What are the sweaters made from? Can you mix and match acrylic with wools?  Does the wool "felt" when washed?  I have a lot of sweaters that were going to dump, but I can probably rescue the unworn parts... I would love a very heavy blanket like this!

I'm very unprecious about this. I wash sweaters before cutting and then mix all fibres. I assume I'm not going to wash the whole thing again. Cleaning would be spot cleaning for stains and airing.

Rescue the sweaters. It's so nice to have ones with memories. This is a functional not a technically perfect quilt. It can have wobbly stitching and probably will due to the nature of all the stretchiness. You can patch holes before you make it up, with scraps. You can patch or darn or hand sew after.

I think I have four pockets in this quilt, plus I love the diagonal (raglan) seam, joining sleeves to body and always try to cut that in a square.

They are a great memory quilt if they're your own sweaters. Plus The weight makes it so comforting to snuggle

I can't wait to see what you make x
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017 01:15:46 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2017 03:18:24 PM »

The one I made was not natural fiber, it washed & dried just fine. The stitching was totally wavy and wonky, it's not an easy fabric to work with if you are aiming to keep everything flat and straight.

AIMR I will be very sad if you throw out wool sweaters, don't tell me if you do!
I rescue lots of wool things and full them in the wash, it sometimes takes up to 6 full cycles of hot water wash with soap then hot dryer to get them to stop shrinking and/or warping. They all do it differently too. For a completed wool blanket of pre-shrunk fiber I think using the cold or delicate setting and hanging to dry or at least using the cool/warm setting might be good.
I also think you could do a flat felled seam without turning over an edge to keep things more straighterish if you know what I mean, but I haven't tested that Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2017 09:46:16 AM »

Tried AIMR's cheaty binding on this mugrug. Still need to refine my technique as it is far from perfect but I liked the quickness of not having to hand pick the back of a binding so I will certainly try it again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With even more hair!!!

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2017 11:54:28 AM »

It is so gorgeous in real life. So many tiny pieces
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...