A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 321,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TM Patch Techniques  (Read 3020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

roler
« on: March 23, 2017 11:09:50 AM »

There's been a lot of discussion in the swap threads about how each of us makes our Teesha Moore style patches, so I thought I'd share my technique for making the bases or "pillows" for my patches.  Please feel free to add your own techniques in the comments! It'd be great to see the variety of styles and tips people have to share!!

This is the technique I've settled on after a couple of years of making these patches.  I still mix things up from time to time, but in general here's what I do.

First, I choose my colors.  Like Teesha Moore herself, I love contrasting colors for the two sides of the patch, but I've found that for me, batting is easier to work with than polyfil.  I make a sandwich with the two pieces of fabric, right sides facing out, with a single layer of batting in between, and then sew around all four sides with the machine, like this:

Next, I fold back the back/border fabric towards me, and cut through both the batting and the inner fabric to trim them close to the seam.

(The edge on this piece of fabric just happened to be hemmed already; I usually leave the edges raw.)

I trim all four sides until the top side looks like this:

I think the rest of my technique is the same as Teesha Moore's; I sew around the edges the way she teaches in her original videos, switching to a new color of craft cord when my first needleful runs out. Smiley

And then here's the final base (before embellishing)!

And the back:

My personal go-to for embellishments after this is felt applique, but it would work for anything! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017 11:31:47 AM »

That's how I did it this last time as well but I used a layer of felt instead of batting because I wanted them to be very flat. I also embellished before turning the edges over so I could adjust them if the patch had gotten very wonky. I don't mind wonky usually but was after a specific look this time round.

I used wonderunder to stick fabric to fabric, once assembled I stitched round the edges of those pieces.

These were pretty big, I needed to pin them for the stitching so front and back stayed aligned.

For these I started with a larger background, pinned with quilting pins and then stitched around the edges. I did trim the edges again a bit here and there. Because I used felt as the filling they were really stable and didn't move around much at all.

Once before someone asked about corners so I put up a tutorial here:

flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/albums/72157629063435791
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017 06:28:32 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
audio

Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

stay weird

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017 10:12:02 PM »

That's how I do mine too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest

!!!Expecting baby boy Nov 9, 2018!!!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017 09:14:35 AM »

Awesome - thanks for sharing, guys! I might have to rethink my methods...Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017 05:58:03 PM »

Yours are so precise and neat!  I make mine all with hand stitching and usually use batting for a puffier look. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017 08:39:36 AM »

Great tutorial, roler! I'll add the link to the swap starting post!

Hopefully, this thread can become a great resource for additional patch-making techniques, and the one main link can lead folks to other information (like craftylittlemonkey's corner tutorial).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017 06:38:19 AM »

Here are some more patches mid-process. I started with the same size for both front and back, they are not machine sewn to start with just folded over and hand stitched 3 edges leaving the last one open for stuffing.

Once stuffed with fiberfil, the last edge is folded over and stitched.

I handed these out at our meet up last summer. So far I haven't seen any finished by the craftsterers who got them but I hope they will make their way into some cool projects eventually. Suereal couldn't make it to Ontario so I used scrappy quilt squares she sent me one time for the fronts and some of the backs too Smiley.

These were all done with that technique. You can really see the different look fluffy stuffing gives them. Very dimensional, textural, and wonkier edges.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017 06:38:48 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
roler
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017 06:41:39 AM »

Oh wow, CLM, I never thought of doing the edges before stuffing, or without sewing beforehand!  I may have to try that sometime!  And I think the puffier stuffing looks great with all your scattered stitches!  I also love the patchwork fronts - another thing I never thought of!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017 06:51:56 AM »

It's because I'm lazy and always looking for a short cut, lol!
I posted two lazy-lady versions of TM bags previously, here they are:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=356111.msg4168853#msg4168853
(actually, this won best of 2010 Wink )
And this one is on flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/albums/72157625903521123

I figured out how to make that last one even easier, maybe I'll work on a tutorial for it soon.

Oh, and also? I carry both of those little pouches in my purse and have every single day since I made them. No kidding. I don't often create things for myself but I love those more than nearly anything I own. Serious LOVE.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017 06:56:33 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017 09:04:28 AM »

I love those little patchwork squares!

I'm hoping to have pics to share soon, though my techniques are not really all that inspiring, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...