A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 311,847
Currently Running With Scissors:
271 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who: Amy Pond "Curse of the Black Spot" Pirate Pond  (Read 763 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , costume , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2017 06:54:23 PM »

I finally got around to making a new Amy Pond costume. Since most of her stuff is usually RTW clothing from eBay, it was nice to sew something for a change.

I started out with Simplicity 4923, which is a Men's Pirate Costume ensemble. I only needed the coat for this. I altered it a lot to suit my needs and to better resemble the screen costume. I changed the shape of the pocket flaps and added pockets underneath (I hate fake pockets, historically accurate or not lol). I changed the cuff to be a split cuff in the back instead of one giant cuff all around. I changed the placement of the buttons on the front of the coat as well. The jacket was also shortened considerably to be as short as it was in the show (at about knee level for the actress). I think I chopped off 7 inches from the hem.

The biggest thing was incorporating a lining into a jacket where there was none. I needed to line this to help give the outer fabric more structure and give a better finishing touch. I really dislike visible raw seams if there doesn't need to be.  To do this, I used the pattern pieces for the outer coat as a guidance for the lining. The jacket is self faced under the front plackets. Using my previous experience with lined jackets, I applied it to this project. The lining is actually a loose lining and is not attached at the hem. A few hidden tacked points inside help keep it in place.

For fabric, I used a "cozy flannel" from Joann fabrics. I have a really bad wool allergy (fun in the winter *sigh*) and could not use a coating wool for my version. The cozy flannel had the drape that I was looking for, and came in a perfect color! I was not looking forward to dying 5 yards of flannel. The lining is a kona cotton in a coordinating lighter grey. The buttons were purchased on Etsy and are a placeholder until I can find the accurate buttons. They were 35 buttons for $5, so I jumped on them right away!

I know it's not sewn, but I also made the sword Cheesy It started as a wooden sword from Amazon (cheap) and I sanded the heck out of it, used steel wool and then painted a primer base. That base was then sanded, and primed again. That was then wet sanded with 600 grit paper for a glass like smooth finish. I used Rustoleum Metallic Finish in a chrome finish. I let it dry, and then wet sanded that to get it to glass like smooth. A final layer of the chrome was applied and I can actually see myself decently in the reflection. It isn't mirror-like, which is great for this prop. It's a pirate sword, it's beaten up and used. The handle was then wrapped in cotton bias tape for a base and then a thin leather strip over it. The pommel was painted gold for now. I would love to lop it off eventually and put a nice brass knob there.

The cut-off mini skirt she wears is hard to find, and so is an alternative apparently. I found a pair of dark wash jeans that I cut apart and turned into her mini skirt. I used a wire brush to fray the hem and the age the fabric a bit. It was fun to distress a garment lol

The hat was a costume hat off Amazon, but it had this unsightly bright gold trim on it. I used a brown acrylic paint and dry brushed it over the bright gold to antique it a bit.

My completed costume

My lining

Sword prior to painting, but after sanding with various grit papers until it was smooth.

The sword after all the stages of sanding and painting, prior to adding the handle wrapping.

The handle. I just made this up as I went and it looked good to me!

Hat trim before...

Hat trim after

Here's a reference image as well, just in case you are not familiar with the character...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017 08:13:32 AM by BenaeQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my FB page for more things by me Cheesy
https://www.facebook.com/BenaeQueeCostumer
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017 07:20:25 AM »

That's quite a likeness! You must be proud of your nice work even besides it being a good resemblance. Is it going to a convention? Think youd wear the coat on a normal day?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017 09:28:18 AM »

I had to look 3 times to convince myself that isn't also a photo of you at the bottom. Great job, definitely a rocking project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017 05:13:16 PM »

Whoa. And WOW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 25
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017 11:52:05 AM »

Well done recreation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017 08:36:36 AM »

Thank you everyone! I just updated it with the professional photos from the convention (ReGeneration Who 3 in Baltimore MD) this past weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my FB page for more things by me Cheesy
https://www.facebook.com/BenaeQueeCostumer
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017 10:32:49 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017 07:06:16 PM »

I had to look 3 times to convince myself that isn't also a photo of you at the bottom. Great job, definitely a rocking project.

I thought the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017 01:38:18 PM »

Bravo! That coat looks fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017 08:54:28 PM »

Epic cosplay all around!  Awesome work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!
Meatless Monday: Croissant Bread Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...