A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 318,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft Room Organization  (Read 240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

storerboughtcreations
« on: March 20, 2017 02:36:50 PM »

I posted the following in the Nerd Games Craftalong, and I just found this board. So I'm just copying and pasting the post from there. I'm keeping the project header up because there's a little bit I wrote under the "brief description" of the header.

Research Project Name: Craft Room Organization
Team: multimedia
Bonus Points: EPIC!
Project Link: (if available)
Brief Description: Holy cow. This project took a long time, and traveled partway across the country! Back when I proposed this project in September, I had no intention of moving from Washington to Arizona. I started to sort through the mess that was my craft room because not only was it totally trashed (it looked like a tornado had ripped through the room!), but I inherited a few items from my grandmother when she passed away that I wanted to get into the room. Please don't judge me for the original mess!
Project Picture:
I'm so embarrassed by these first two photos.. :/

After quite a few hours put in cleaning, untangling yarn, and just some general organizing and purging, I started to get some semblance of order happening...

Soon after I started making headway in the room, we decided we were going to move to Arizona to be closer to my sister. So all of my hard work, plus all the work I had yet to even start, got shoved into boxes and were put into the unused den of my sisters house. We started looking for our own place, and after a few months, everyone agreed that it financially made sense of us to all continue living together, plus it allows me to be close to my sister and niece. So we rented a storage unit and began clearing out the den. As we began making a dent in removing all of our boxes, my sister and I decided we needed our own craft room. So we slowly started organizing the room to fit our needs.

The den has no closet space, so the hanging organizers I had used in my WA craft room weren't going to do me any good. I had two 3x3 cube shelves that I stacked to use for storage for my full skeins instead of using them to hold the small fabric totes full of rolled yarn balls.

That wasn't nearly enough storage for me (I know, I have a ton of yarn!), so I ended up scoring a white bookshelf from Goodwill for only $5. It has some water damage and it was filthy (it too me 30 minutes of elbow grease and a lot of Clorox wipes to clean it!), but once it was cleaned up, it fit the purpose I intended it for. It holds all of my pattern books, a few fabric totes to hold some of my cross stitch supplies and other notions, and we ended up putting our DVD collection on the shelf since the shelves are so deep we could fit two rows of DVDs on one shelf.

I ended up buying another bookshelf brand new, this time in brown, because I needed even more storage. This shelf holds 10 fabric totes that are all FULL of wound yarn cakes. I have to give a super special THANK YOU! to QueenHobo for helping me wind yarn cakes. I feel like she deserves a special medal for helping me out. She wound more than 3/4 of that yarn, and spent enough time on it to have submitted it for a research project on its own.

I never got a chance to fully go through all of the drawers in my grandmothers old sewing table, so after getting it put where I wanted it to live, I went through each drawer. Holy cow, there was a ton of stuff inside! It took me over 8 hours to go through the drawers, reorganize, and find new homes for some items.

I also spent a lot of time hanging things above the sewing table. Here's a close up:

I spent quite a bit of time going through buttons she had stashed in the drawers. Those buttons along with my own took me forever to organize. I used an old spice caddy to organize my simple buttons, and put most of hers into a jar. I pulled some aside to put in a special jar because they're so cool, and I wanted easy access to them.

And lastly, I hung a bunch of pictures and other crafty things I've made around the room. I couldn't get a good shot of my corner of the room, but I was able to at least get a shot of my two cross stitches I hung above my sitting area.

I think that's everything. Yes, my obsessive side came out a little in the organization of the yarn. It's sorted by color, ROYBGIV, and I love it! I think it's pretty. Smiley I'm sure I'll find other small things to do around the room now that it's set up (such as hang my Hannah cross stitch once I finish it... I'm hoping to do that soon!), but for now I'm very, very happy with our craft room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dfabbric
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017 02:47:29 PM »

Wow, that looked like a lot of work. Im super impressed. I had to literally pack everything up and unpack to start to look organized. It must have taken a long time but looks well worth the effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Fabric Store - Free Shipping in Canada
https://www.SpoolMonkey.com
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017 05:26:18 AM »

WOW! Looks great! Now get in there and mess it up making something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 20
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017 08:33:52 AM »

Awesome space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: An Orb For Your Yard
Tute Tuesday: Bamboo Project Bag
How Does Your Garden Grow?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...