A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teeny tiny flasks, with picture tutorial (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 1229 times)
Tags for this thread: flask , miniature , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 10, 2017 08:08:03 AM »

Hey, I made this:

and I was pretty pleased with myself! I thought I'd share how I did it, for those inquiring minds who might want to know. It was easy, but like all miniatures, finicky as heck.

Materials:
clear drinking straw
ruler or measuring tape
suncatcher paint & brush
scissors
hot glue gun
parchment paper
small wooden beads -or- fimo corks
stylus or tweezers
paper label (created on computer)
clear packing tape
patience

First, cut the straw into lengths of the height you want your flask to be. I went with 3/4 inch (8 mm for you metric folks). Make sure that you cut straight across the straw - angled cuts mean either the top or bottom of your flask will be funky.

Paint the inside of the straw pieces with sun catcher paint. Really, you could use any paint you like but I went with this for the translucence. Because I was going for a medicinal look, I used yellow and mixed a little brown in with it. Use any color you like, of course. If you're going for a darker color, you could even skip this step for now and use nail polish or model paint on the exterior of the flask after it's put together.

(About $3 at Walmart)

Use your glue gun to create a small pool of glue on the parchment paper and stand the tiny tube up in the glue, pinching it slightly to create the flask-like oblong bottle shape. Hold it that way for a second until the glue sets enough to hold the shape for you.

When the glue has set, pull the flask off the paper, glue and all. The glue is going to become the bottom (or top, I guess) of your bottle. Trim the excess glue from around the straw, being careful not to cut the straw itself.

It should look somewhat like this:

Now, you're going to repeat all of that for the other side (top or bottom) of the flask.

Trim your flask. It should look somewhat like this:

Once your flask is trimmed, add your cork. I had some tiny wooden beads that worked perfectly, but if you aren't lucky to have something like that in your stash, you could make a tiny Fimo snake and cut and cure small corks from it.

Make another tiny pool of glue on your parchment paper. Using a sylus or tweezers, dip one end of your "cork" into the glue, then center it on the end of the flask that you want to be the top.

Next, you'll add your label.  I just created mine in Pages (Apple's version of Word) and the fonts on mine range from 2pt to 4 pt. So yeah, TINY. I couldn't even read the top line of the label on my screen, it was so small! I used packing tape to affix the label to the flask:

Trim your label to the size you'd like. Put it up against your flask to make sure you're happy with the way it's going to sit. Cut a strip of packing tape, that just barely goes above the top and bottom of the label, and you'll want longer pieces on the sides, for sticking to the bottle. A little overlap is ok, but you don't want so much that it comes around to cover your label. Sorry, I neglected to photograph the labeling process, but hopefully it's pretty self-explanatory.  Wink

Viola! The finished product:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017 08:33:06 AM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017 08:18:30 AM »

What great little flasks! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017 08:20:23 AM »

Thanks! I had so much fun with these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017 08:40:43 AM »

Those are fabulous! I wish I had a use for such things - now I want to make about a million!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017 08:42:41 AM »

I know the feeling! I'm truly obsessed with all things miniature!  Mine are going into a miniature lab, which is a fan homage to "Dr. Potter's Medicine Show", by Eric Scott Fischl. (He is the love of C-ster's own theMistressT)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017 08:51:56 AM »

That looks so intricate but worth it. They turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017 08:54:59 AM »

Thanks, gozer! I was pretty happy with how they turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017 09:49:43 AM »

Amazing! Totally wee, they are so super tiny. I am getting a better idea of scale based on those. Your project is going to be minuscule! Big on awesome though, can't wait to see it.

I'm a couple chapters into the book, I don't know what's happening yet but so far it's good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017 09:53:28 AM »

Thanks, CLM! Getting closer! Just a few more details to decide on and I should be ready to glue it all into place and make it an official finished project!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017 09:54:39 AM »

WOWZERS! These turned out amazingly! And I can't believe you made sooooo many. I can't wait to show TheManFlesh... i.e. Eric Scott Fischl. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 43
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Coral Bead Bracelet
Flowers In Your Hair
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...