A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pantry Challenge Cookalong!  (Read 13243 times)
Tags for this thread: cookalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2017 01:54:49 PM »

Ok, so I have a couple problems that I am trying to solve by giving myself a pantry/freezer challenge over the next few weeks--a little short on cash + have too many random ingredients in my pantry! Anybody want to join in with me? We can post recipes on things we come up with on how to use up what we have lying around as well as give each other ideas. Post something you aren't sure what to do with and see what recipes might get suggested!

If anyone is the type to do Spring Cleaning, this might help with that as well, it's easier to clean if you have fewer things, right?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017 02:04:09 PM »

Oooh. I like this idea. A few years ago my husband and I started subscribing to a veggie delivery service to kick start ourselves into getting into a habit of cooking more and eating out less... now we are in the routine and stopped the service, but started getting a little dull in our cooking again. I would love some motivation to try some new things again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017 02:05:11 PM »

What a fun idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017 02:05:49 PM »

Oooh. I like this idea. A few years ago my husband and I started subscribing to a veggie delivery service to kick start ourselves into getting into a habit of cooking more and eating out less... now we are in the routine and stopped the service, but started getting a little dull in our cooking again. I would love some motivation to try some new things again!

Nice! Is it a CSA type thing or more like a Blue Apron deal?

I wrote my grocery list and meal plan and I'm planning on spending $60 on groceries next week instead of my normal $100-$130. Woohoo! Just have to stick to it when I get to the store!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017 02:06:07 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017 02:08:26 PM »

So growing up we always had a massive pantry and 1-2 stand alone freezers. There were only two of us kids, but mom was happy to feed all of our friends and we'd frequently take in a friend or two if they were having problems at home and would stay with us from anywhere to a few days to several months. So I guess I'm used to those kind of food hoarding ways...and they just aren't working for my current budget and my current storage space situation in my smaller apartment. I'm having trouble finding things in my cupboards because there's so many random canned goods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017 02:28:18 PM »

Nice! Is it a CSA type thing or more like a Blue Apron deal?

I wrote my grocery list and meal plan and I'm planning on spending $60 on groceries next week instead of my normal $100-$130. Woohoo! Just have to stick to it when I get to the store!

It was called "Produce Box" (creative, right?) and they are in the Triangle area of NC. It's more like a CSA, but with the option to cancel or put on hold at any time. You aren't locked in with the fee. Just pay per box, and they have the gimme whatever options for different family sizes or the custom boxes for a little extra.

Now we buy the same veggies every time we go to the store, but we also have a weird collection of condiments and baking supplies and seasonings and stuff that need some love (and using up). It's just me and my husband right now, but we host a lot of get-togethers and dinner parties, so people leave things behind or we get stuff for cooking out and then never use them up. For example, we have sooo many buns in the freezer right now. Tongue

Growing up, we had a lot of canned food in my house. And Chinese take out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017 02:34:57 PM »

Buns in the freezer--hamburgers, veggie burgers, breakfast sandwiches (ok, those are all pretty obvious). How about making a breakfast strata or bread pudding with some?

I have several cans of pinto beans, not really sure why because I prefer lately to cook my own pinto beans from dried to make refried beans. I'm going to use some of these up in a homemade bean and sweet potato burger, I've previously made it with white beans and I'm sure pinto will work fine, in most cases a bean is a bean!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017 03:08:48 PM »

Yes, of course I'll join this, lol! There are cans of pumpkin, a container of gelatin, tapioca pearls, and an assortment of alternative flours purchased to try as wheat subs. Also so much quinoa which now only half of us like or can even eat (there is some IBS and food sensitivity in this family that's glitching my kitchen).
I was just sorting through my collection of recipes this morning, I'll share any pantry busting treasures I come across Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKERS GONNA MAKE, YO!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017 03:23:57 PM »

I thought you'd be down, clm! Smiley I have a can or two of pumpkin myself, I keep meaning to make pumpkin pancakes but haven't gotten around to it yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017 03:45:52 PM »

Yes, of course I'll join this, lol! There are cans of pumpkin, a container of gelatin, tapioca pearls, and an assortment of alternative flours purchased to try as wheat subs. Also so much quinoa which now only half of us like or can even eat (there is some IBS and food sensitivity in this family that's glitching my kitchen).
I was just sorting through my collection of recipes this morning, I'll share any pantry busting treasures I come across Smiley.

I had to toss aaallll my flour, alternative flours, nut meals, grains of any sort, and anything stored in a plastic bag in my pantry earlier last year because of meal worms. It was heartbreaking... I used to make macarons all the time and haven't had the inspiration to stock up on the nuts and nut meals again. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...