A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
136 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you store your foodie stuffs?  (Read 1150 times)
Tags for this thread: organization , food_storage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2017 03:13:32 PM »

I'm feeding lots of people and thankfully have a big enough kitchen for a change. Even still, storage is always an issue. As much as I'd prefer a daily trip to the market for just what we'd need for that day, the reality dictates we shop in bulk for cost and convenience.

We put shelves up in a small side closet to make a pantry off the kitchen, here are flours, oats, spices, beans, cereal, sugar, and extra condiments.

This cupboard in the kitchen used to store mops and brooms, apparently I am not as concerned with house cleaning as I am with cooking Roll Eyes. Jars of grains, dried fruits, coconut milk, broth, tomatoes, baking supplies, pasta, honey, etc.

There's a small room off my studio in the basement that is quite cool for 3 seasons of the year but never freezing, it makes a great cold room for apples, root veggies, onions, bulk peanut butter, and freeze-dried emergency food packets.

We go to costco for a big shop once a month or so and for fresh food at the market almost every weekend plus we order cases of meat from a friend who gets us a discount and occasionally another friend wholesale orders us cases of produce for freezing or canning. Sometimes it seems a bit crazy having all this food stash but there are still nights I feel lost about what to make for supper. I remember a time when I hardly ever thought about food, it is such a priority now.

What do you do? Any meal planners out there? Buying club members? Show me your cupboards, please? I have to know I'm not the only one...

I won't ask you to take pics of the inside of your fridge, lol, you sure aren't seeing mine Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

lettucecraft.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017 08:13:02 AM »

Look at you all organized! We go to the store way too much in my opinion!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Facebook

Please join us at lettucecraft.com
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017 08:32:12 AM »

I don't drive (2 failed rounds of drivers ed, yikes) so I have to coordinate shopping around the mister's off work hours. It forces me to keep a pretty up to date list. I do go to the market myself with my little wheelie shopping cart, lol, but there's only so often I can arrange that and only so much I can carry when I do. After a few years in this city I have an ok handle on where to get the best deals but we still buy quality meat and dairy and some organic produce which means going to a few places. We have a variety of digestive quirks in the family too so we're mostly preparing everything from scratch, that means a lot of bulk goods. I lived on a farm so I'm wary of grain moths and mice, that's why everything is in jars. I don't want to be feeding them too Cheesy!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017 08:33:13 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017 09:22:40 AM »

wow--you organize your foods so nicely for your family!  I love your cold storage area...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

lettucecraft.com

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017 03:25:37 PM »

My cupboards are a mess! I am the only person in this house who is organized and not a complete hoarder! My honey is like obsessed with grocery shopping. He goes way overboard on crap we don't need all the time but since it's his money and we're all fed I just keep my mouth shut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Facebook

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017 08:02:51 AM »

Storage! ACK! Seems like it's always an issue. You look like you're really making the most of what you have! We added a small kitchen island a year and a half ago which made a HUGE difference for pots/pans, prep utensils, and cutting boards. Then when I remodeled the kitchen last winter, I even refinished in the inside of the cabinets which forced me to purge unused tools and expired food stuffs - as well as make a priority of using stuff that was found in the back of the corner pantry cupboard.

We have a pantry in the area under the stairs and it is a HUGE help with small appliance and drygoods storage, but... I want to revamp it to maximize the storage. Here's my pinboard for that: https://www.pinterest.com/themistresst/homefront-larder-reorg/big

And then we have a mudroom where there is an "extra" fridge and a newly dead chest freezer (UGH!). There are a few challenges to upgrading this space, but I want to turn in into a really practical and useful room. Which means I need to learn to make cabinetry! It would be harder to store food stuffs there, because one of those big challenges is that room is not temperature controlled at all - it gets HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter. Here is my pinboard for upgrading that room, mostly about coat, shoe, and dog supplies storage at this point: https://www.pinterest.com/themistresst/homefront-mudroom-makeover/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
fatewineroses
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017 09:47:24 AM »

I feel your pain in figuring out what to make for dinner. I struggle ALL the time. My bf and I have somewhat different palates, so sometimes when I think of something, I know he won't like it. *sigh* I've also been recently struggling with some possible food allergies and it is making me extremely sad. It might be a fruit latex allergy and some of the items I might have to cut out are some of my absolute favorite foods.

To help me plan though, I keep a list of potential meals and sides in one place. Then I have a small white board where I list out meals for the week. Sometimes. Right now it is tax season, so I mostly am just feeling myself.  Roll Eyes But *normally* it is extremely helpful. Both with buying groceries AND getting a little help on what to make.

We live in a very small apartment and really don't have a lot of storage room, so I can't stockpile unfortunately. There are a couple of places where I feel that we would benefit from some shelving; but it's his place and I haven't gotten him to agree with me...yet.

Good for you for keeping things organized! Love your space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017 10:13:13 AM »

We have the food sensitivity issues going on too, it's hard. I wish I was better at meal planning, I really try not to waste food but can't seem to find the balance of not enough and too much in the fridge. I do a Lot of big batch cooking and freezing to have ready stuff on hand but the kids like something one day but not the next, it's frustrating. I don't pander to their whims, don't get me wrong, I serve "take it or leave it" at our table, lol. But I aim for pleasurable meals for all and am disappointed when there's too much grumbling.
At least us grown ups have similar palates, when the kids have moved out it will be very easy to feed the two of us.

LOL, I've got about 10 years of desperate stock piling and cooking to go! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

lettucecraft.com

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017 02:31:20 PM »

Feeding kids is hard.... We have a few meals that everyone really likes and everything else some like and some don't. I am honestly the pickiest person in our house though  Undecided
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017 02:31:55 PM by lindyv321 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Facebook

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...