A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 313,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice for Newbie Sewer? I currently suck Lol!  (Read 396 times)
Tags for this thread: beginner_sewing , advice , newbie , clutch , sewing , pattern , help , beginner_sewing_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glitterstitch1
« on: February 24, 2017 01:56:36 PM »

Hi everyone! Im new to craftser! Super cool to have an online community to talk to about all things crafts and awesome!  Cheesy I  was a knitter(Project Linus) and sewer in high school but wasnt that great. I have since picked back up knitting this year and have been surprisingly good at it. I decided to do the same with sewing...but lets just say my hands are only working magic with yarn and not fabric. I suck at cutting in a straight line, sewing in a straight line. I use the seam ripper more than I sew. I am trying to make a fold over clutch,(zipper involved) and just want to give up. I am in an online sewing academy thats great, and some of my projects like an eye glass case came out great, but this project is giving me hell. I feel soo silly because the clutch isnt very complicated, but i keep messing up my lines. Is this just beginners blues? Does it get better? Any tips for cutting straight and sewing straight? i try not to look at the needle but i still end up a bit wonky. Ive only been doing ti for a short period of time, maybe im being too hard on myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017 02:33:08 AM »

Hey there, welcome to Craftster!  My sewing got a lot better after I purchased one of those slotted tailor's rulers.  It's a clear 12 by 12 inch grid with half inch rotary cutting slots all the way across it.  I use mine for both fabric and paper.  I found it at JoAnn Fabric. You'll find lots of tutorials here for simple to more complicated projects to follow.  Have a poke around here:  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?page=category&id=18&section=purses_bags_wallets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...