A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 314,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you crochet & knit? I have a question...  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 23, 2017 06:38:56 AM »

I only crochet a little but even still I'm most comfortable with the hook in my right hand & the yarn in my left. I joined a group to learn how to knit & am finding it so awkward to hold the yarn in my right hand. I'm told there's a technique for holding it in the left, if anybody has any links to share I would so appreciate being pointed in a fruitful direction rather than looking at dozens of youtubez trying to find the right thing.
Thanks folks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017 08:45:47 AM »

Yes, go to www.knittinghelp.com and look at the videos for continental knitting, or you can find many on youtube as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017 11:27:04 AM »

Thank you! I dont even know enough to figure out which words to search for. Hopefully I see a configuration that looks more comfortable for my hands.

ETA: the very first picture on that site is of someone holding the yarn in their left hand. I guess this is what comes of having a novice teach another novice, ha ha! Well, I'm glad I didn't spend too much time learning it the "wrong" way (for me) and having to break the habit and relearn it all over again.

Thanks for the link Smiley.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017 01:19:43 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017 08:03:51 AM »

There is no 'wrong' way, and there's more than 2 ways to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017 10:28:29 AM »

I'm glad I didn't spend too much time learning it the "wrong" way (for me)...

I'm glad there is more than one way or I'd probably not try it again, yarn in the right hand felt so awkward!
I've been wrapped up in swaps lately but I will get back to learning to knit, I would like socks by next winter Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017 06:02:03 PM »

There is no 'wrong' way, and there's more than 2 ways to knit.

I completely agree with soozeq.

Although I have knit for a very long time, I tend to put down the needles for long stretches of time. At some point I started standardly knitting through the back (continental style). Although this is an actual stitch (it twists the yarn, and makes for a tighter fabric)  When used routinely, it creates a fabric with a left lean.  I used to be very self conscious as people LOVE to tell me I knit 'wrong'.

Years later, I am confident enough to brush it off. I *can* knit continental the regular way, but also know how to knit English.

All of this is to say, there is no right or wrong way to knit. There are pros and cons to both English (aka 'throwing' as you sweep the hand over) or Continental (aka 'picking' as you use the needles to pluck the yarn).  English is slower, but there's less stress on the hands. Continental tends to be faster, but your hands can cramp. I've had to use my right hand to slowly unfurl my left fingers. *Caw, Caw*  It boarders on ridiculously dramatic, but it hurts!

I'm proud of you for continuing to perservere. It can be daunting when learning, and it can feel weird and uncomfortable when holding all the pieces/parts, so it's great to hear you continuing to look for a way that makes it work for you! I can't wait to see what you make!

P.S. I can knit involved lace, but socks remain on my To Do list. Maybe we should do a sock stitchalong together!  Sock patterns are written 'cuff down' or 'toe up'.  I hear toe up is the way to go when learning because you can measure your foot going up.  Zoooop!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017 06:12:59 PM »

I want all the socks! There's a way to knit them toe up and two at a time on a circular needle. I'm totally doing that or I'll end up with only one sock, ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017 06:20:51 PM »

There is!

I love how you jump in. Knit two at the same time? HECK YEAH!

I'm looking for some rando photo I have of someone's drawer completely filled with knit socks. I'm not saying I'd break into their house and only empty the sock drawer...but mebbe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a set of 80s Halloween cardstock decorations - skeleton,  witch, and ghost - with minor imperfections. PM me if you would like them!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Danish Heart Basket
O, Christmas Tree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...