A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
94 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tragedy has been bugging my heart lately . . .  (Read 1308 times)
Tags for this thread: heart , harry_potter , insect , bug , hairy , fly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2017 08:41:44 AM »

Since she received them in the mail yesterday, I can now share scans of a couple of ATCs I made for Pottermouth in a private swap:

The first was for her "insects & bugs" theme.  I leafed through several insect tomes at my local library before deciding on this long-legged fly.  In addition to it just appealing to me, I felt the side view of the bug would fill out an ATC's boundaries pretty well (in my opinion, it can be tricky to fit many insects' anatomies onto a rectangle without also cropping out their legs, antennae, wings, etc.)

For the second card, I combined Pottermouth's "body parts" and "Harry Potter" themes and came up with the nasty thing from J.K. Rowling's The Warlock's Hairy Heart short story found in The Tales of Beedle the Bard.  I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan myself (said volume is the only Rowling book I own and have ever read), but I am partial to internal organs that desperately need a shave.  I considered using my real hair for the heart, but that'd be kind of creepy/gross (plus I recently trimmed my buzzcut, so, hair from my head would have been too short anyway), thus, I went with sewing thread instead.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
anderlance

I'm a Craftster best of 2014 winner!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017 01:13:01 PM »

Love them; you never fail to amaze me Patraw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017 01:25:33 PM »

Aaaahhhh, they are great, front and back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017 03:03:17 PM »

LOVE!  Amazing as usual Patraw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017 08:51:30 PM »

I am pretty sure that that particular fly lives here in the south, as all bugs do, and to have Rainbow Dash eradicate them in an environmentally friendly way would be a plus.

As interesting as hairy organs are, I do appreciate that you substituted the real thing with faux hairs and left yours on the barber's floor. I'm glad that you chose a Tales of Beedle the Bard related card; it is a nice variance from the classic imagery one has of Harry Potter.

Thank you for the swap and the awesome cards, and had I known you'd never read HP I would have stuffed one of my 37 copies in your box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017 07:32:11 AM »

Thanks everybody!

@pottermouth: That's a funny coincidence that you actually have those flies where you live . . . I didn't even pay any attention to the bug's habitat in the library book's entry that I used as my reference model when I drew it.

Well . . . I did buy and read Michael Gerber's Harry Potter spoof, Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody, does that count?  Cheesy While I haven't read Rowling's main series of books, I did watch both Deathly Hallows films and saw bits and pieces of the other, earlier ones, so, I do have sort of a working knowledge of the fiction (i.e., I know who most of the characters are).  The local library has all of the Harry Potter books, so, if I ever do get the inclination, I'll have easy access to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017 04:37:58 PM »

Fantastic works, and so highly detailed!  The hairy heart is awesome

Kidlet was assigned HP in school and never got into it.  During swim lessons, I picked up her novel and tried reading it.  The unfamiliar vocabulary, etc, made things intimidating.  An instructor (a rabid HP fan) noticed the book, and struck up a conversation.  I had questions; the instructor answered.  If someone hadn't graciously taken the time to explain things to me, I would not have gotten through that first HP novel.  Love the entire series.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.

My STS Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...