A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Which flip flop creation is your favorite?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 313,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
296 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New at this  (Read 429 times)
Tags for this thread: needle_felting , ferret  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sqynx
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Self confessed Weirdo.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 13, 2017 05:22:55 PM »

So a week into the new year i finally cracked and allowed myself to start a new art project despite the several projects sat half done. I've been seriously wanting to try needle felting for years and decided to just stop putting it off and give it a go.  I can crochet fairly well..ish....so thought needle felting would be just a more violent version of that really.  I bought a cheap full needle felting kit on amazon to gauge whether needle felting was for me. it was a little teeny hedgehog and it was fun to do and was reasonable successful.  i think i lost a litre in blood....gosh those needles are sharp.  but despite the pain I was undeterred.  After the little hedgehog kit i decided to just jump right in to making stuff on my own...so here's my first err *make it up as you go along* project.  Well its actually based on a white ferret character my friend created
I thought since the character was mainly all white I could just practice with needlefelting toy stuffing instead of spending money on lots of roving.
So I ended up creating this...

Its not brilliant not by a long shot but for my first random solo project it's not too bad.  plenty of room for improvement.
My next project is going to be a mouse dressed in a japanese sailor outfit a little over ambitious I think but I never seem to make things easy for myself but heres the start at least

So hopefully it goes okay I guess only time and perseverance will tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have animal magnetism, squirrels stick to my clothes.
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017 07:24:28 AM »

Great work for a first free-hand sculpture! I have never seen toy stuffing used completely in place of roving. Do you mean like polyester stuffing?  I'm impressed with the a amount of shape and detail you got from the stuffing if it is just polyester. Polyester fibers don't have the scales along the fibers that wool fibers have for grabbing and holding, so you probably had a different experience than if you were using natural/animal fibers. While polyester stuffing makes an affordable base in place of core wool, you might still want experiment with adding a minimal top layer of wool over the polyester base to get the texture and finish as a more traditional needle-felted sculpture while still keeping your project on the cheaper side.

The ferret character is cute, and I look forward to seeing your sailor mouse Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017 04:00:13 PM »

You have given wonderful detail to your animals; pretty remarkable for someone that is new to needlefelting! I'd say you are a natural and I hope you continue to share your creations. Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sqynx

Self confessed Weirdo.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017 09:12:46 AM »

Hihi Yes I just used polyester filling (the stuff that says "supersoft toy filling") for the first project adding a bit of black roving to the feet and tail.  I was just worried about buying lots of roving before actually seeing if I was any good or not, so since I had a bag of polyester filling laying around I thought i'd try giving that a shot and it seemed to work.  I dont think i had much difficulty but not knowing what doing something similar with real wool feels like maybe im just oblivious to how hard I made it for myself HAHA. 
Thankyou heaps for teh kind words both fo you.  Im really enjoying needlefelting a lot though Ive certainly bled more than through any crochet project ive undertaken
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have animal magnetism, squirrels stick to my clothes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 26, 2017 Featured Projects
What's Up Girlfriend?
Tute Tuesday: Cons to Mary Janes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...