A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
158 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Length Of Fan/Lamp Pulls  (Read 1976 times)
Tags for this thread: beading , home_handmades , beaded_accessories  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ArtsyCrafteryStudio
Crafting, Writing, Arting, Designing. My Nirvana!

Crafting is my blood, and arting my life breath!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2017 07:11:39 AM »

Hello:

What length would you make fan pulls and desktop lamp pulls? Or what do you think is the avg length of these home accessories. Looking forward to making them using my large stock of beads.

Thanks!
Sandi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandi
http://www.thecreativeseller.com
Living and promoting the creative life!
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017 01:15:37 PM »

I think it really depends on the size of the lamp or height of the ceilings.  I just looked around my house and they vary in size from about 5" - 12" (for both lamps and fans).  Almost all of them use ball chain.

I hope we'll get to see some of your creations!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017 07:26:12 PM »

For me, it depends on how you use them.  For the ones in the living room, kitchen, etc, I kept them short, but enough for for all of us to pull them - including shorty me.  Our ceilings are probably 8 feet, but the fans hang down a bit - probably 5-6 inches.  You just don't want them so long that people walk into them.  In my work room, the pulls are down over my work table, so I can't stand right under and pull the pulls, so I added extensions and they actually hang down a full 2 feet - but then even if I have things like the ironing board out, and have to reach over something, I can reach them - including from my usual seat.

Are you thinking about making them as ornaments to sell?  If so, make it a bit of ball chain and include the adaptor/link thing so people can decide themselves what length they want it at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
ArtsyCrafteryStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017 06:16:22 PM »

I think it really depends on the size of the lamp or height of the ceilings.  I just looked around my house and they vary in size from about 5" - 12" (for both lamps and fans).  Almost all of them use ball chain.

I hope we'll get to see some of your creations!  Smiley

Thanks for responding. I do hope to share some pics here. I recently joined Instagram. Are you on there?

That's what I was thinking too, depends on ceiling height/lamp size. Do you mean you saw 5-12" length chains in your house, or that length to reach the chains that you have now? What I would make would be to attach to the ball chains that are already on a person's lamps/fans.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017 06:28:06 PM by ArtsyCrafteryStudio - Reason: Forgot to mention something. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandi
ArtsyCrafteryStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017 06:24:59 PM »

For me, it depends on how you use them.  For the ones in the living room, kitchen, etc, I kept them short, but enough for for all of us to pull them - including shorty me.  Our ceilings are probably 8 feet, but the fans hang down a bit - probably 5-6 inches.  You just don't want them so long that people walk into them.  In my work room, the pulls are down over my work table, so I can't stand right under and pull the pulls, so I added extensions and they actually hang down a full 2 feet - but then even if I have things like the ironing board out, and have to reach over something, I can reach them - including from my usual seat.

Are you thinking about making them as ornaments to sell?  If so, make it a bit of ball chain and include the adaptor/link thing so people can decide themselves what length they want it at.

Yeah, it's a good idea to include a removable length of the ball chain for adjustments. Yes, I'd be making them to list. Good idea too about making them extra long for craft rooms/workshops. Saw some recently in a CarolWrightGifts.com catalog. They are 11" long. Doesn't say anything about an adjustable chain. I wonder what a person would do if it was too long? I guess remove the ball clasp, cut the chain and replace it. Thanks for commenting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandi
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017 06:32:33 PM »

I think it really depends on the size of the lamp or height of the ceilings.  I just looked around my house and they vary in size from about 5" - 12" (for both lamps and fans).  Almost all of them use ball chain.

I hope we'll get to see some of your creations!  Smiley

Thanks for responding. I do hope to share some pics here. I recently joined Instagram. Are you on there?

That's what I was thinking too, depends on ceiling height/lamp size. Do you mean you saw 5-12" length chains in your house, or that length to reach the chains that you have now? What I would make would be to attach to the ball chains that are already on a person's lamps/fans.
The chains themselves are between 5-12"...then there is the bead/pull at the bottom making them a tad longer on some.  If I was buying one I think I'd definitely appreciate some adjustability.  Smiley

I'm not active on Instagram at the moment, but I think you can embed your Instagram photos here, just like linking any other hosted photo, if that is something you would want to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ArtsyCrafteryStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017 05:17:05 PM »

I think it really depends on the size of the lamp or height of the ceilings.  I just looked around my house and they vary in size from about 5" - 12" (for both lamps and fans).  Almost all of them use ball chain.

I hope we'll get to see some of your creations!  Smiley

The chains themselves are between 5-12"...then there is the bead/pull at the bottom making them a tad longer on some.  If I was buying one I think I'd definitely appreciate some adjustability.  Smiley

I'm not active on Instagram at the moment, but I think you can embed your Instagram photos here, just like linking any other hosted photo, if that is something you would want to do.

No that's ok re Instagram. Don't use it all the time. Would upload images from my computer, where most of them are. If you ever want to connect with me at Instagram: ArtsyCrafteryStudio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sandi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...