A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
292 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: V&A Museum Replica of Victorian dress 1880's  (Read 1707 times)
Tags for this thread: victorian , dress , replica , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TansysMaySigh
« on: February 03, 2017 11:12:45 AM »

This took me two semesters to make, working on it on the side in the theater's costume shop. It was a doozy for me.
It is a replica from a dress in the Victoria and Albert Museum. I dont know if it is on display now, but I would love to go see the original.

If my memory serves me, it is from 1888 specifically, at least the late 1880s..

One of the reasons it took so long and was so difficult was because all I had to go on was two pages in a book-one with a brief description and line drawing, and one with to-scale shapes of the pieces (I wouldnt call them pattern pieces as there was no seam allowance, few markings, barely any instruction)

Here is the photocopied page which I blew up to the correct scale by hand along with all the pattern pieces I made.

Heres the first piece which gets covered by the sewn on pleated skirt later. It has those wire bits that you tie so they bend and maked a framed bustle.
ahh the pleating, so much pressing and in such a specific pattern. It probably didnt help that the fabric I chose was quite heavy and resistant to the iron. It's a really dark blue, since its hard to tell. In the background you can kind of see the reddish fabric draped around a dress form as I tried to decide what color combo and placement I liked best. I think the original was like that burnt orange color..

Here's a detail of the front. Yes, those buttons each have real buttonholes and the middle thing is insert. So you can change up your looks without buying a whole new dress yo. There are 17 buttons on each side!
unfortunately, no one I knew would actually fit into the dress as it was made to the size of whatever woman received way back when. And boy was she tiny! This is how short she would be next to me supposing she was missing her head. Im around 5'6"

The squishy foam mannequin luckily fit into the dress (barely), showing the real shape.

And here it is on display in the theater, where it remains until they switch it out.

I sure respect the old dressmakers after this.

Thanks for looking! If you have done any similar such projects, I'd love to hear what you found a struggle and what you learned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saranethx
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017 06:15:55 PM »

Wow, impressive! I think it turned out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017 06:23:28 PM »

Oh, girl... I didn't study costuming but I did take fashion design in college & Hello, that's some intense pattern drafting there. & just for show too, not even to wear! They are very lucky to have this excellent piece to display. Nicely done Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TansysMaySigh
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017 03:39:11 AM »

saranethx, Thanks! My supervisor seemed a bit skeptical about the colors at first but she wanted me to do what I wanted to do and liked it in the end.

craftylittlemonkey, thanks so much, Im glad you also appreciate the pain haha. I could fit the skirt on if I wanted to be a bit breathless but it was still too short. I never tried on the bodice with the insert, maybe I couldve but the arms were very tight and I probably wouldve ripped it lol. Maybe it will get used if there is ever a play done in that era and a tiny girl is cast. Although I think even then there is a sometimes an important difference between stage costumes and historical accuracy as changing and moving are factors ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017 05:08:01 AM »

That is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017 01:36:37 PM »

Beautifully done! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wryly
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017 04:31:31 PM »

wow - that is beautiful. excellent work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pookiemccool
"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017 10:04:26 AM »

It's stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017 06:54:05 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TansysMaySigh
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017 01:45:08 AM »

sweet, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...