A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Which flip flop creation is your favorite?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 313,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marceline the Vampire Queen  (Read 781 times)
Tags for this thread: adventure_time , marceline , amigurumi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

teaandcraft
« on: January 31, 2017 05:55:30 PM »

I made this amigurumi for my mathematical pal, Rebecca ^___^ Marceline is the Vampire Queen from Adventure Time and, hoo boy, was this amigurumi an adventure to make! I started off with the Bat Girl pattern by Ilaria Caliri, which was published in the 49th issue of Simply Crochet. I used Patons Dreamtime Merino 4 ply in grey for Marceline's body and a 2.50mm hook. I did add in extra rounds for her legs and arms though, to fit in more with Marceline's proportions. I added wire to her limbs so she is slightly posable.

Marceline's lush hair was easy but time consuming to do; I crocheted a wig cap and then looped lots and lots and lots of lengths of yarn through each stitch of the wig cap. I used three balls of Bella Baby cotton wool 8ply in black for the hair, but I didn't use up the third ball completely. The good thing about this lengthy process is that her hair is super thick and therefore can totally be done up in different hairstyles without showing a patchy looking scalp.

Marceline's boots are simply tubes, with red bows tied onto them. I put a little dab of pva glue on each bow, to hopefully prevent them from coming undone. I used the same Bella Baby brand yarn for all of Marceline's hair and clothes, by the way. It's a 75% cotton, 25% wool blend and it's very soft and nice to work with.

I wanted to make all of Marceline's clothes removable so that there is potential for making more of her outfits for future gifts. Her pants were a bit tricky since I've never crocheted any dolls clothes before and had little idea of what I was doing. I crocheted two tubes to go up her legs, and then kinda crocheted a big tube around the tops of them. I sewed up the gap between the pant legs afterwards. I didn't write any of the pattern down though, which I totally should have done. A lot of the time when I am trying to create something without a pattern I just end up trying things and frogging them and trying again until I get something close to what I want, and I am terrible at keeping records during this process.

Marceline's top was very simple; it is just a rectangle with slightly curved in sides (to make it fit to the curve of her torso better) and straps made with a chain stitch. I sewed snaps onto the back edges for the closures.

The last thing to do was to add details to her face; I used embroidery thread to create her mouth, her fangs, and the bite marks on the side of her neck.

Overall I am pleased with how she turned out, although I think a haircut might be needed to give her a proper fringe and tidy up the ends a bit. I did attempt a bit of a trim, but then I was worried I was going to mess up her hair (her time consuming hair!!) and didn't go any further.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017 06:16:33 PM »

She completely rocks! Her mega long locks are fantastic and making removable clothing was a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017 06:50:16 AM »

She is fantastically oogly worthy. I adore that goofy show, you did such a great job with this character.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017 10:34:44 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jellybean89

Ravenclaw :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017 08:49:12 AM »

Marceline looks great! I love the hair! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest - Ravelry! - Join the Harry Potter Craftalong! - see my profile if you're interested in a free Nevertheless She Persisted t-shirt!
sqynx

Self confessed Weirdo.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017 11:01:29 AM »

OMgosh!!! How amazing is this. Seriously brilliant!! The adventure time crew are soo simply designed that they're all just perfect for amigurumi projects but it wasnt until seeing your marceline that that idea just clicked in my head. Its so obvious now that i feel really silly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have animal magnetism, squirrels stick to my clothes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
What's Up Girlfriend?
Tute Tuesday: Cons to Mary Janes
Shark Week, Post Deux

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...