A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is monkey business and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 313,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unicorn and T-Rex Roller Derby Trophies  (Read 735 times)
Tags for this thread: trex , trophy , dinosaur , unicorn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teaandcraft
« on: January 31, 2017 05:32:19 PM »

I volunteered this year to make trophies for my roller derby league's end of year awards party. We needed a lot of trophies and they needed to be cheap and easy to make. And they needed to be awesome.

So, of course, dinosaurs and unicorns came to mind! ~___^

I started off with a bunch of plumbing caps; the hardware store had heaps of them, they're cheap, and they're actually a really nice solid plastic. Much more professional looking than my limited woodworking skills could produce in a very short time period. I used my Dremel to sand off the raised writing on the tops of the caps; this produced a ton of dust so a mask and goggles were an absolute necessity.

Then I used superglue to attach the animal toys I found at the Reject Shop (a discount store, more expensive than a dollar shop but still pretty cheap). They didn't have enough horses so I used everything vaguely equine that they had - zebras, donkeys ... if you tilted your head and squinted and it kinda looked like a horse I brought it.

I made a bunch of horns using some white sculpty; I only needed a tiny bit for this so I used some from my stash rather than buying a whole new packet. Once they were baked and cooled I used superglue to stick them on.

Then I spray painted them all gold, stuck on cardstock tags with double-sided tape, and then coated everything with a matt varnish. I am on the fence about the varnish to be honest because I think it dulled the gold colour but I wanted them tags to be coated with something and I find sometimes plastic + spray paint with no varnish can = stickyness.

Anyway, they were a big hit and after it turned out that I was told the incorrect number for how many trophies were needed (d'oh!) I made one more for the person who missed out - and I made it a dinocorn to make it up to them ~___^
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017 05:58:39 PM by teaandcraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
JoyfulClover
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Live long and prosper

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017 05:40:46 PM »

I want to be on your derby team so I can win one of these! THEY ARE SO.MUCH.FUN! (mentally I'm screaming like Agnes in DMe, cuz It's So Fluffy!)

I love the dino-corns the most. You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017 05:54:29 PM »

just wild.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
aristhekat
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017 06:57:34 PM »

Those are brilliant both in thought and luster! a great idea and execution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017 06:06:35 AM »

thats great. I like that there are different styles of unicorn actually. Did you find it hard to paint in the nooks and crannies or was it ok? and did you use alot of the can?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017 06:38:43 AM »

Thanks everyone! ^___^

@TansysMaySigh I found the animals fairly easy to paint, but I did use up about a can and a half of spray paint to do about 32 trophies. Spraying underneath them was probably the trickiest bit but like with most spray painting if you get them from enough angles they turn out alright ^___^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017 01:51:43 PM »

WHAT A HOOT! I would've loved to have received such a trophy for anything! And way to take it up to the next Notch of Awesome with the dinocorn for the missed recipient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 20
amarok
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017 02:14:43 AM »

OMG THESE ARE AMAZING! I wish we had a great team where I live. I rolled with the locals for a while, but most of them were... Not my kind of people Sad I'd love to be able to get into roller derby, but I'm too much of an introvert to put myself through being with people I'm not that keen on...... :x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017 06:20:15 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that amarok! Maybe your area will get another league one day and they will suit you better. The city I'm in (Perth, Australia) currently has four leagues, plus a men's league and a junior league, which gives the locals a chance to find the people that fit them best. I lucked out with my league though I think, they're pretty awesome and I've made some amazing friends through derby ^___^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audio
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

stay weird

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017 08:52:37 PM »

these are soooo amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: An Orb For Your Yard
Tute Tuesday: Bamboo Project Bag
How Does Your Garden Grow?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...