A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
172 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Pair of Baby Quilts (Crib-sized)  (Read 1024 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_quilt , elephant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 20, 2017 04:11:15 PM »

So, when I went to visit my mom for Christmas this year, she had another quilting project planned. She wanted to make a baby quilt for someone (who actually just had the baby the other day- 10 lbs 8 oz!) and, since it seems that someone is expecting a baby at least once a year at work, I figured I'd make one, too, so I could have one all ready to go! She found a picture of one that looked pretty basic but it didn't have a pattern available because you could only purchase the completed quilt. We only had about 3 1/2 days to do it.

Based on the finished size of the inspiration quilt, we worked out the measurements that just about made it the same size. We changed the layout slightly to make it symmetric. Then, we figured out how much of each fabric we needed to buy, and headed to the store! We bought a little bit more than we needed because we grabbed a FQ bundle, but my mom has put the extra fabric to good use already!

We've been sewing together for a while, and I usually handle the sewing machine and the cutting, while my mom does the pinning, pressing, and trimming.

Once we had our fabrics, we started playing with the layout options. This is mine (the stack of fabric in the corner is my mom's):

We appliqued an elephant and some little hearts on the center panel. My mom had never done applique before, so she was impressed with the magic of Wonder Under! After I zig-zagged the appliques, I hand embroidered the elephant eyes and tails.

The picture is pre-embroidery...

That just about took care of the first day and a half (planning, shopping, cutting, doing the appliques). The next day, we pieced both tops:

Mine is on the left, and my mom's is on the right.

The next (and final) day, we made the quilt sandwich and tied each quilt. I sewed the binding on my mom's and tried to stitch in the ditch. I missed one spot, and after I left, my mom decided to un-stitch it and hand stitch the binding. I decided to hand stitch the back of mine, too.

My mom's is backed in light purple flannel, but because they didn't have enough for two quilts, mine is backed in a dark teal.

Because we stopped working after dark each evening, the lighting isn't great in the photos, but they came out pretty cute, and they were pretty easy to make. Besides the binding, the hardest part was the applique. And, I'll definitely use this layout for a few more baby quilts (I might change the dimensions slightly- I don't love the proportions of it- it's long and not too wide- the photos of the completed quilts are across a queen-sized bed).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017 04:28:20 PM »

Oh my goodness, I just love these! Great color palettes and just so sweet! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017 07:41:29 AM »

Lovely pair of quilts, especially the elephant center-pieces, and it's great that you and your mom work so well together as a team!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017 02:01:38 PM »

Thank you! My mom had a specific baby to make it for, so the colors were based on the colors of the nursery. And, my mom and I (and sometimes my aunt) have been sewing together like this for years! We can get a lot done in less time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017 05:33:24 AM »

Those are so adorable and I can't believe you got them done so quickly! Wow! I am greatly impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017 06:00:16 AM »

They are very sweet & so quickly done, amazing!
I'm envious of your team effort, I long for a crafty crew but haven't got anyone to sew with. Well, my young daughter is learning so one of these days...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017 01:44:07 PM »

That's so cool that you crafted something with your mum!  And they're really cute too.  Lucky babies!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017 02:50:38 PM »

Thanks! We went with a really simple pattern so we could get them finished in the time that I had. And, the teamwork definitely helped- I hate the pinning, pressing, and trimming, and my mom just doesn't like the rotary cutter, so it works out nicely!

And, craftylittlemonkey, we didn't start sewing like this until I was in high school or college, so you have time to get your daughter ready! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...