A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New (Tiny) Art Journal  (Read 3988 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2017 12:25:10 PM »

I've been trying to do a collage or art journal page every day, and practically this only works for me if they're quite small. Last year I tried a larger book with a week's spaces divided over each double-page spread, but it was time-consuming to lay out each week, and the book was just a bit too bulky to carry around. (Especially with the over-stuffed pouch of journalling supplies I find I need to carry.) So this year I decided to try something new - a very small journal that provides one page per day.

The pages are 5 in. tall by 3⅜ in. wide, and it's a bit over an inch thick with the covers. This gives me enough pages for 6 months.

I covered the boards with fine navy blue ticking, and stitched on a bird skeleton patch that I'd picked up at some Goth craft fair, to mark the front.

The pages are Canson's Mix Media paper, sewn in signatures. This time I remembered to include a bookmark ribbon, too. I'm afraid I've probably bound the signatures too snugly together, even though I was trying to be a bit sloppy - by the time I've filled it up with collage, it will be bursting apart at the binding. Sad

For the front and back endsheets I was able to use some marble paper rescued from an old book (an advantage of such a small size) and I included an envelope at the back for collecting scraps, as I always like to do. This one is made out of a page from an old atlas.

It's only a couple of weeks into the year, but so far I find the page size good to work on. Last year's journal was sized so that each day's space was ATC-sized, and I actually found that too small. A lot of material I wanted to collage was just a bit too big to fit into that space. These slightly larger pages work better. The only problem I've found with the small book is that I keep losing it in the bottom of my bag. But once the weather improves and I'm not carrying mittens and a toque, I'll be able to keep it in my jacket pocket.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017 01:36:07 PM »

I love how much thought you have put into the practicalities of you in particular maintaining this journal. I love the idea of one, but don't think I am capable of taking on the responsibility of such a commitment! I am sure that having your considered efforts for creating the book itself being thwarted it's very purpose (i.e. the potential busted binding) is disheartening, but there is something fundamentally charming and viscerally attractive about the look of an art journal used and loved to it's own destruction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 70
Mamaneedles
)O( * ॐ

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017 02:22:40 PM »

This is genious, Wulf!
I love the look of it! We're deep into book making here as well. Tons of teeny tiny book and a huge grimoire one we finished binding today!

Will you keep an update of your pages?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017 04:44:45 PM »

This is very cool. The ticking is so nostalgic, brings to mind Soggy Bottom Boys and Kensington market vintage coveralls. It's all manner of good things Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017 04:55:48 PM »

Will you keep an update of your pages?

I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps on Flickr or something.

"Soggy Bottom Boys" - that's perfect!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017 05:41:28 PM »

Beautifully done Friend Wulf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster on Facebook | HP Craftalong on FBCraftster on Reddit

#CraftsterFriendsForver #MoreThanACraftWebsite #CraftstersNeverSayDie
geekgirl1000100
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017 07:58:49 PM »

It's really nice.  I like the size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandykaye
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017 10:03:39 PM »

Great idea! Great start to it as well! I am working on one that is larger and find it too big to carry with me. I was looking at putting a smaller travel journal together, so thanks for the inspiration!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

stay weird

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017 08:40:42 AM »

It looks great and LOVE your pages so far!! Thank you for sharing in the Paper Crafts and Mixed Media Craftalong! I'm planning on doing a spread in my BIG journal once a month! Can't wait to see what else you make in there!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo
Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017 02:08:08 PM »

Love this, Wulf! I look forward to seeing your progress with it.  The size definitely feels like a more doable everyday project -- such a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...