A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Difference Makers Silent Auction March 31, 2017  (Read 10195 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017 06:42:21 AM »

There was recently a news program about food waste at some of the big grocery stores - Walmart was one of the big culprits.  Instead of donating to local food banks or Second Harvest like programs, or even selling it at cheaper prices, they were found to be throwing out perfectly good food - including unexpired packaged goods. Apparently one excuse was to make room for new products to sell. There are so many food programs to help those in need that could use those goods, I just can't fathom why they would do that.  I am glad some retailers at least are considering other more ethical options.

I have a lot of faith in your abilities and determination - but you are right, you take on a lot and it would be great to get more adults involved.  It would also help set a stronger example, and build that sense of community involvement for the kids also!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017 06:43:56 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017 07:45:33 AM »

Unfortunately some companies won't take the time to do it because time is money and having to schedule pickups for organizations to come in, weighing donations, etc. means that their employees are doing something that doesn't contribute to $, not to mention what to do when the people picking up don't show up.  It's nice now that some companies realize that there is an advertising benefit to them if they engage in this kind of activity so at least there is some compensation for them.  Smiley

It's hard to have a full-time job and keep up with all this stuff.  Our main focus atm is to get the food out so we are focusing on getting a trailer and a refrigerator.  I'm hoping the auction will do well and I'm trying to get the flyers out beyond the local community, but it is hard to entice people to come to this event.  We are also trying to get our website/advertising to look more professional.  I have a friend who is donating the printing to us, but she's going on maternity leave soon so that might be a hold up. For now we are using b/w xeroxes that are free since DM is also a school program. The reality is that if Bryan really wants the organization to grow he is going to have to expand the staff which means getting a big grant so that he can hire a few people (professional fundraiser, graphic artist, web designer, etc).  ATM all we have are a few students doing the website and me. I'm sitting down with them on Thurs to see if I can't undo some of the odd changes they've made...too many chefs and all that.  LOL. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017 03:23:37 PM »

Wow, that's so much work, utm!  You are all so dedicated.  One of the most helpful things that we did at a few of the nonprofits where I worked was recruit board members who could help manage events and contribute to the organization.  Being a "board member" is apparently like a status-symbol or something for some people.  A few of the most helpful people were from the local banking world, retired business people, and professors.  We realized it is a lot more effective to ask people who do not already have super full plates, but instead are maybe looking to add something else to their resume or bios/profiles, or "advance" or promote themselves in some way.  It's all in how you sell it and spin it...what can they get out of it?  It's hard to even think in those terms sometimes when everyone already in the organization is so self-less, and doing the work because it's right and feels good, not for personal gain.  That was just my experience, not sure how DM is organized, or if there is already board involvement.  Smiley  Just a random thought when I was reading your post.  I'm sending lots of good thoughts DM's way, and hope it's an awesomely successful event!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017 02:08:16 PM »

Hi LovelyMiss!

Having a strong board is definitely an asset.  I am such a newbie that I didn't find out until recently that board members are supposed to help fundraise.  Because this is a kids club Bryan has chosen past presidents (9-12th graders, 2 college kids) to be on the board along with 3 adults. The kids have enthusiasm and great ideas, but they don't understand how to fundraise well.  Unfortunately the 2 adults both with nonprofit experience are not that invested in DM and don't come to our board meetings.  So that leaves me.  Thank goodness I have John's support.  He never lets me down. Smiley  I think as our club grows Bryan will come around to seeing that we need some real board members or maybe just bigger grants.  He is busy focusing on our food project and I'll continue to focus on the money part.  So far we've been able to get by.  We really need this auction to be a success.

Rox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2017 11:11:45 AM »

Here is what I sent.  The package is supposed to be there on Monday, utm.

Two necklaces, two tissue holders, three coin/card purses, and one coffee cup cozy.

And then four notebook covers with composition books included.

I hope you get lots more donations!  Do you bundle items so that they might go for more at the auction?  That was something we did at some of our events that seemed helped boost the going prices a little...like bundle a handmade item with a gift card, or bundle a few bath/beauty products together and call it a spa set or something.  Just another thought!

Good luck, again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017 12:21:33 PM »

Lovelymiss, how awesome are those card holders? What a great way to feature interesting fabrics.

I've been wishing I had some things to donate to this and I do in fact have tissue cosies that were at a friend's store and returned to me now she's closing up shop. Not tons of them but a few, would you like them? Easy to ship too since they are flat Smiley.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017 12:22:24 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2017 05:30:24 PM »

Wow, great goodies LovelyMiss!!!  Love the jewelry pieces!!  I am in love with the notebooks too, esp the Mario one and I don't even know how to play the video game.  Smiley  I'm sure the kids will love it.  Thank you!

I've never tried putting together a basket for this.  I've done them for raffles and they do well.  I'll see what Bryan thinks.  He asked the officers to put together a basket or two together and no one has done anything yet so I'm not sure if it means that it doesn't appeal to MS kids or that they didn't get to it yet.

Hi CLM!  Yay thanks!  I'm sure the cozies would be loved.  Smiley  Every bit helps!  Thank you!!!

Thanks everyone for all your generous donations and well wishes.  Your friendship and support means so much to me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017 05:46:03 PM »

Ok, I'll send them off right away Smiley.
One awesome thing w baskets is they can be raffled off. Sometimes a few cool prizes brings in more money than selling the items singly. I also can't resist a 50-50 draw, those are a win-win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017 03:48:36 AM »

A 50/50 draw always gets me too.  I am kind of in love with the notebook covers - great fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017 04:59:18 AM »

Unfortunately anything that is like gambling is not allowed...so no raffles, no 50-50.  They are fun and would bring alot of excitement, but those are the school rules.  But I do them at the club fundraisers.  Smiley

The flyer/poster is coming along nicely.  I will wrap it up mid-week and start distributing the flyers soon.  Hopefully I can get the kids to take them to be posted in the various stores.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...