A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,271
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Difference Makers Silent Auction March 31, 2017  (Read 5722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lana

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 07, 2017 02:32:43 PM »

Hi all!

Difference Makers, a non-profit student run group that my daughter belongs to is hosting their second annual DM Silent Auction on March 31, 2017 6-9pm at Takoma Park Middle School in Silver Spring MD.  Most of you know about the club, but for those of you who don't I put some information at the end of this post.  Smiley

The auction was a huge success last year not only in terms of raising some much needed funds for our club, but also in terms of building community.  Much of the success of it was due to my generous Craftster friends who donated AMAZING items to our auction.  I wish all of you could have been there to hear all the comments.  Some people have never seen handmade items that look so professional and they were shocked to know that someone actually made it.   Grin  I'm hoping that some of you will join in again to help them!

Here are some photos from last year's event:
https://www.facebook.com/makeadifferencewithus/posts/1116636718380148

If anyone is willing to donate an auction item to Difference Makers please send it by March 17 if possible so that I can get the placards, space, everything else made in time.  Please include your name/company name, website, and business card (1 for each item since people may gift them and 1-2 extra for me to share with others that might have lost the bidding and would like to contact you).   I can also provide you with an acknowledgement letter that you can use for tax purposes if you itemize and give me an approximate value.  Smiley  The items will be put on display for 1 week during which time the students can bid on them and will end with a night event on March 31st where parents can come in and bid on the items.

Please send your items to the following address:
Difference Makers
Attn: Bryan Goehring/Craftsters Friends
9295 Maxwell Court
Laurel MD 20723

Please mark it Crafsters otherwise they might open it up and lose the contents and please PM me when you send to him so that I can ask Bryan to be on the lookout for it.  Thanks!   Grin

I have already received some wonderful items from my friends at the Canada meetup. THANK YOU for your continued kindness and support!!!
Rox

Mission
Difference Makers (DM) is a non-profit, student run organization at Takoma Park Middle School in Silver Spring, Maryland. Our mission is to make a difference in the world. We strive to accomplish this mission by engaging DM members in a variety of service opportunities that allow them to foster an altruistic attitude while helping communities in all demographics at the local, regional, and international level.

DM Projects
Our projects range from fundraising campaigns for charitable organizations such as Special Olympics & Newborns in Need to community outreach programs such as our Snow Angels Project in which DM members clear the snow from driveways and walkways for the elderly and disabled and collecting food/clothing for the needy. Local Projects serving the community • Snow Angels Program – provide snow shoveling service to Takoma Park/Silver Spring/Rockville residents that are elderly or disabled. • Make A Difference Day – students go into community to clean-up, collect donations of food, clothing, toys, and books. • Takoma Park Community Clean-ups – (fall and spring) in conjunction with Friends of Sligo Creek • School yard landscaping –pull weeds and provide basic landscaping • Recycling and Conservation at the school level • Thanks-for-Giving Program –conduct food drive for 80+ needy families, • Clothing and food drives for Shepherds Table –conduct drives through-out the year • Takoma Park Folk Festival – set up tents, tables, sell items that support Takoma Park community programs Regional (within the state of Maryland) • Special Olympics MD (year round) - provide volunteer support and fundraising • C & O canal – remove debris from the canal • Extra Ordinary Birthdays Program – provide birthday gifts for homeless children • Samaritans Chest – provide gifts for the needy • Community Cafι – provide lunch service for those in need • Reading Reconnects Families – provide reading materials to those that are incarcerated and/or in need Nationally/Internationally • UNICEF – Fundraising efforts • Newborns in Need – provide infant clothing, supplies • Race for Hope – Fundraising efforts • Jude’s Hospital – Fundraising efforts • Fundraising efforts for communities dealing with natural disasters

Find out more about us here:
http://www.difference-makers.org/
https://www.facebook.com/makeadifferencewithus/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3i-EUvZGfOpLKjwy6qvQ5g/videos

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017 09:39:24 AM by underthemountain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Difference Makers' Kokua Foods!  http://www.difference-makers.org/ Our mission is simple: to provide food for families in need.
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017 04:58:47 PM »

I pledge a minimum of 5 projects not counting what I gave UTM in Canada. What will the rest of you pledge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
72/200 in 2017
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017 11:36:01 PM »

I will definitely be sending items again, too.  Can you let us know what types of items went over well last year?  I have a little more time this year than last year, so I'd like to put it to good use. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017 12:12:55 AM »

Count me in again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017 07:02:21 AM »

I will try to send something too!

Do you think notecard sets would work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017 03:32:59 PM »

I want to donate as well, but not sure what items would be good!  I have been racking my brain trying to think of things for boys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017 05:58:42 PM »

AIMR, what about beanie hats (is that what they're called?), cloth/crocheted/knitted Frisbees, hacky-sacs...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017 07:28:30 PM »

Also, crayon totes, matchbox car holders/totes, superhero capes, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017 06:00:13 AM »

Aw, thank you guys!  I am so grateful to have friends like you!!!

It sounds sexist, but the boys mainly bid on donated sport items (tickets, football, etc).  The crafted items were mainly snapped up by the girls/moms, though there was 1 boy who got a pendant as a present for his mom.  Smiley  Jewelry, scarves, plushes, sew items were a big hit.  I think focusing on things for middle school/teens/adults is probably best since very few small kids will be at this event. 

THANK YOU!!!!!  Your support really means so much!
Rox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Difference Makers' Kokua Foods!  http://www.difference-makers.org/ Our mission is simple: to provide food for families in need.
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017 06:58:31 AM »

? scarves?... like shibori-dyed scarves?Huh  Get your mom on it Roxanne!!!!  She rocked it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...