A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leftover woodlike gray ceramic tile  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pirs1775
« on: January 07, 2017 07:56:53 AM »

I have several boxes of ceramic woodlike tile planks from a tiling job in my house. The tiles are grayish (looks like weather worn wood fencing), 24 inches long by 4 inches wide. I have no use for them as far as flooring for my home and I hate to throw them away as I have like 7 full boxes and a few loose ones. The company that did my floors said to keep them in case some get broken but I don't think I'll ever need so many (well over 100 pcs.)!
Anyone have any ideas as to what I can make with these? My husband is getting tired of looking at all the boxes and is ready to throw them out. I stopped him saying I know that I could make something with them but I've drawn a blank. Someone please help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017 02:08:12 PM »

Well, to outright get rid of them, you can post on a site like Freecycle, Kijiji, Craigslist, in case anyone can use them in their home.  You can keep some, and if you are willing to do some tile cutting, they could be trimmed down and smaller pieces could be used as follows...

4x4 squares with foam or felt backing as coasters, longer than 4" could be used as trivets or serving boards.  Make a base and inset them in a frame or stand, with a couple cut down, but glued and grouted together to make plant stands or something.  Resurface a table - either with strips of tile or broken up for more traditional mosaic look.

Are they flat and smooth?  They can be used to work and bake polymer clay on too.  They can be painted with glass or porcelain paint and be used to make things like house signs or decorated as the above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daisy424
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017 09:52:35 AM »

Any of the popular pallet projects should work for these, as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pirs1775
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017 05:22:32 AM »

Onyxnox- I like some of the ideas you came up with. No they are not smooth but textured to simulate real wood. I really like the table top idea.
Daisy424- Thanks for the pallet idea, I'll certainly check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017 05:41:31 AM »

Hmm, could you ink one and use it for stamping paper? That doesn't help you get rid of a whole box but maybe you'd like to keep one for just that purpose Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017 06:55:02 AM »

Hmm, could you ink one and use it for stamping paper? That doesn't help you get rid of a whole box but maybe you'd like to keep one for just that purpose Smiley.

What you could do is brayer ink or paint over the tile, then smooth the paper over top and lift off.

It would be tempting to use them to make long trough like planters as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017 10:31:27 AM »

might make a neat wainscot, mounted vertically to the wall.  You'd probably have to use 1-1/2 tiles to make it 3 feet tall (2' looks too short, 4' would be too high).  If you have 100 of them 4" wide, and you cut 1/3 of them in half, you would wind up with about 22 linear feet of wainscot.  (Yeah, I used a calculator.  Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...