A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,289
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: deconstructing earrings  (Read 752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

anraneiro82
« on: December 27, 2016 09:27:07 AM »

Hello, i have gauged ears and am trying to make my own earrings.  I bought some cheap earrings on ebay to deconstruct.  Any ideas on how to take the "stick" part of the earring off of the back of the earring to make a smooth base on the jewelry? The stick part being the actual part that goes into an ear hole.    If i can make the back smooth, i will then glue the rest of the earring onto an acrylic plug to make the earrings wearable for me.  I purchased some glue that was recommended by another member on here. 

**Also, how do i REPLY to messages on here?? I haven't figured that out.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016 09:51:57 AM »

Hi anraneiro82.  Welcome to Craftster!  To reply to a message, scroll down towards the bottom of the page.  There are tabs on the right hand side at the bottom of the message thread.  I've circled the reply tab in the picture below. 
Meanwhile, be sure to check out The Craftster Need to Know Guide, which explains the mechanics of posting, and lots of other useful information for exploring Craftster. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

anraneiro82
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016 10:15:32 AM »

it was hidden LOL ! thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016 02:14:12 PM »

It depends on how the post is attached - if it is glued on, you can try to just snap it off, or to dissolve the glue with acetone, or some other solvent - you would be playing around then - if you are not sure how the earring may react (if it is some kind of plastic), you may just want to try a small swab on the back before doing any real damage.

If the earring is metal, and the post is soldered, then you may be able to snap it off, and file down the solder.  Or if you have a soldering iron, reheat the solder to make it loose again and lift off the post and smooth the solder down.  Or use wire cutters, and trim the post down and file down the remnants.

Take the usual precautions - goggles to prevent flying bits of metal in the eye, gloves in case of solvents on flesh, working in well ventilated spaces in case of fumes, etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anraneiro82
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016 04:25:56 PM »

thank you onyxnox.  the earrings are metal.   i have more questions: where can i purchase a file?  what kind should i get? do i just get a file or do i need a kit of some sort.?  i'm a total newbie at this, so i ask lots of questions and need details.  thanks so much for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016 04:30:19 AM »

thank you onyxnox.  the earrings are metal.   i have more questions: where can i purchase a file?  what kind should i get? do i just get a file or do i need a kit of some sort.?  i'm a total newbie at this, so i ask lots of questions and need details.  thanks so much for your help!

Do you have a crafts store nearby, or a beading/jewelry store?  In the beading/jewelry section, you should be able to get a small file that you can use for the earring posts.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Vintaj-Special-Metal-File-Long/dp/B006P590V4/ref=sr_1_23?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1482928036&sr=1-23

Maybe even your local hardware store may have something - you just want a finer, smaller file to handle filing a small piece, and that you can easily hold in your hand.

They do have sets that will have different points, angles, etc - but you don't need to get a set, unless you want to start shaping metal in more detail.

If you snip far enough down, and just want to soften any metal burrs and sharp edges, you can use steel wool - a bag is cheap and lasts a long time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anraneiro82
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016 06:10:31 AM »

i may purchase this one on amazon or check out the Michael's near me.  Thanks so much for your help with this.  I can't wait to get started; my earring collection is in need of an update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016 07:09:06 AM »

Good luck and post so we know how it goes - don't forget thrift stores for bits and bods, and also see if any friends/relatives have stashes of stuff that they no longer want - especially if it's broken or they lost part of a pair, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...