A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
172 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freyja: A Circumstantial Reflection on Precious Things  (Read 2894 times)
Tags for this thread: oil_painting , freya , cat , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 09, 2016 11:33:18 PM »

Finally finished another painting!  My work schedule has been brutal and combined with continued work on the new house I've had NO time for art. I made the decision to change over to a position that allows 12 hour so I only need to work three days a week!  For the first time in years I actually get to see my husband AND I've been getting some art done! 

This is another painting referencing myth stories....this time with the goddess Freyja as the subject.  With stories of Freyja's chariot being drawn by cats (some say blue cats) I pictured her as a crazy cat lady.  The necklace she's wearing represents Brisingamen (the necklace Freyja obtained from the dwarves and the boa references the falcon feathered cloak Freyja is said to wear.

The boar was added to reference the boar Hildisvini that Freyja rides into battle and other than the necklace that boar was my favorite part of the painting to do.  My 2 cats were models for all of the cats (mainly for lighting purposes).....body shapes and colors were adjusted to create a variety of blue cats.  The only ones not altered are the two cats on the sofa  fascinated by the boar.

The painting is oils on a 36" x 48" canvas.  I still think I could stand to boost the shadows a bit, but here is anyway:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016 12:53:40 AM »

This is AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016 02:31:06 AM »

That's great.  I'm glad you pointed out the bits and pieces, I don't know her story to make the connections.

I see what you mean about the shadows; the left side of the painting seems too bright, and the pillows almost seem to be the focus of the painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's go out swinging!
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016 04:01:04 AM »

thanks for sharing this! i love the aspects of the mythology that you have modernized and depicted. this is so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016 05:38:27 AM »

I agree with all the others!:

-This is amazing. Truly wonderful.
-Including commentary on the individual abstract pieces and how they were reimaginged made me really appreciate both your talent and the concept.
-I need to bone up on my mythology, because the modernized nod to the mythos is so well done, I wish I would have been able to pick up on it without the direction!

And my comments - I love Freyja's body positioning. Don't all women sit crazy when lounging around? I love how she breaks the 4th wall. Her gaze is both challenging and mysterious. Her dress detail lends it a 50s/60s feel (along with the plant hangers and starburst wall clock). The drape of her necklace and how it would fall different directions with her slouch? Ugh! SO Awesome!  I want to know this lady!

I also love the non primary color pallet. The blues on the cats are beautiful, and their body language is so spot on! The boar is such a tongue in cheek! Powerful to have him on her wall.

Okay. Gush over. I love this piece. Thank you for sharing! Very talented - yay for 12 hr days to free up time!

\m/

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016 05:43:59 AM by JoyfulClover » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsycandice
Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016 07:18:40 AM »

I love, love, love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
Victoria Kamalova
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016 07:40:44 AM »

Love your picture so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016 07:45:34 AM »

Great piece of art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016 10:43:15 AM »

I love every little thing about this. Thanks for including your process in words as well as the photos, so interesting to read!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016 12:20:38 PM »

Thanks guys!!

If anyone is interested this is the other "mythology" painting in this series. I posted it here a few years ago:

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=417261.msg4935719#msg4935719

I also have plans for a third one, but it won't be complete until sometime next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...