A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Infinity Scarf  (Read 1053 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2016 08:01:03 AM »

I am generally not great at yarn crafts - I love the look and feel of many yarns, but my attempts to turn it into things frequently end in chaos and tears.  However, I recently picked up a really pretty and completely unused skein of yarn in a local charity shop for the bargain price of 3 (it's a merino/silk blend) - and at least if I made a mess then it wouldn't be a massive loss!

After googling free crochet scarf patterns and picking the one that ticked boxes for broadly resembling my yarn, being pretty and being actually do-able by a yarn-craft klutz, I turned it into this broomstick lace infinity scarf:

based on the tutorial here: http://www.bhookedcrochet.com/2014/01/08/broomstick-lace-infinity-scarf/

Luckily, I found a suitably sized crochet hook floating around the house, and for the "broomstick" I used a chunk of wooden dowel, left over from making a teepee for my niece, that was just about the right diameter.  I think my yarn was a bit finer than the one in the tutorial, so I ended up making my scarf a bit longer to actually fit me, and I wish I'd made it maybe 40 stitches wide instead of 30, but I love it to bits and it's just what I need in this recent cold weather!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016 09:29:03 AM »

It looks great - I love the look of broomstick lace.  Your yarn choice is lovely too - those are great colours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016 10:42:30 AM »

Thank you - they're my favourite colours so it was a really lucky find, and I was really pleased to find that broomstick lace is super-easy to do.  Smiley  Right now I'm pondering whether I can use the left-over yarn (I only used ~60g from a 100g skein) to make the scarf wider...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016 12:05:50 AM »

Very pretty. I love the yarn. I like crochet but have never tried the broomstick variety. Yours turned out so well I am inspired to give it a go. Did you have to sandpaper and varnish the dowel first to prevent the yarn from catching on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016 03:01:07 AM »

Thanks!  It really was easy - if you can do basic chain stitch, you're golden.  Smiley  I didn't do anything to prep my bit of dowel - it was already quite smooth so I just used it as it was.  Possibly I could have sanded down the end a little just to get rid of the rough saw-marks I made when I cut it down for the teepee, but it never proved to be a problem.  I'm not sure varnishing would be a good idea though - I noticed that the crochet hook marked the wood a bit after some use, so any varnish would probably have started flaking off and getting everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016 05:40:45 PM »

Love it! You did a wonderful job. I have seen patterns for the broomstick lace but haven't tried it yet - may have to give it a shot now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...