A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
186 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Which inkpad do I buy?  (Read 632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
BelleBeryl
« on: November 22, 2016 12:45:57 AM »

Suggestions needed for which inkpad to buy? I always buy online so looking for inkpad with no/little smell that wont stain my clear stamps. All my inkpads became old and dried out. Looking for a black inkpad also, I see there is more than one type of black color/hue any info on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016 06:27:47 AM »

Depends on what you like to stamp/how you use your stampings.  Do you just want to stamp just for paper crafting?  Are you using your stamps on other materials like acetate, vellum, plastic, metal, polymer clay, fabric, etc.  Are you stamping and then using markers, paint, dyes, etc over it?  Are you heat embossing?

Here are some info links that may be helpful to describe the type of inks out there.

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/in_touch/2009/05/ink-pad-comparisons-by-ellen-hutson.html

The charts make it easier to see.

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/files/ink-comparison-chart_dye-pigment-hybrid.pdf

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/files/ink-comparison-chart_watermark-embossing-resist-other.pdf

I have a variety of pads for various uses - though goodness knows, there are so many brands out there that I have not tried.

I use Staz On (solvent based ink, very scented) or Ranger Archival pads (oil-based, dye) when I want to stamp on an alternate material like metal or glass, and I will use it as a resist for etching - I find they are more scented and will stain your stamps.  Staz On (and likely others) do sell a solvent cleaner, but I am not sure how that would affect your stamps in the long term.  I often try to clean my stamps immediately after using - often with a baby wipe or damp microfiber cloth.  I just picked up a black Momento pad too to see how I would like that also - I think it is Tsukineko's version of the permanent ink pads, but haven't tried it yet to see how much I like it.

I use Distress Ink pads (dye ink) for when I want to stencil, or blend background colours, or do things that are water reactive, such as water stamping.  I don't usually use it for straight stamping - usually in combination for effects.  They blend nicely.

I like Tsukineko VersaFine  (pigment ink) for a couple of reasons - they give nice fine detail, and stamp very evenly, and when dry area also great if you want to use water colour paints or water based dye markers to colour them.  I often will use them for sentiment stamps.  I find it fast drying on papers.  

I also use VersaMark and Perfect Medium pads too for things like heat embossing and using mica powders too.

If I was going to go with one pad for basic stamping on paper, I would probably choose the VersaFine because it is archival, gives nice detail, stamps evenly.  I have never noticed an odour.  It does come in nice colours too - I have a blue, a sepia, a smoky gray, and onyx black (it's a nice dense black) - but that would be for one layer, single stamping, with no blending, etc.

Also, when you buy a pad, see if you can get a reinker too - that will help.  I have found that with the VersaFine, I have only reinked the black one, and I don't think I needed to yet, and I have had the Sepia and Onyx for probably 3 years or so.

If you want to avoid odour, avoid Staz On.

I am sure other's have used other brands and can give you an opinion on others, especially for colours.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016 06:32:17 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Give Me a Hand
Tute Tuesday: Stumpwork
Meatless Monday: Risotto

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...