A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JUNE NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Have you seen the Craft Challenge announcement?  Check out the details here!
Total Members: 312,009
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zipper Critters...with tut. Very pic heavy  (Read 4507 times)
Tags for this thread: stuffie , critter , animal , zipper , monster , tutorial , featured_project , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2016 11:40:30 AM »

Every year I try to come up with something new for the sewing table at our church's fund raising Holiday craft fair. It's a very nice fair with lots of hand made and one of a kind items.

I felt the need to make cute little critters this year and these little guys can hold a special little treasure or note. I plan on filling the pouches with a treat before luring in prospective purchasers.

They have big eyes and a little pouch protected by big zipper teeth. Note: I added a photo at step 3.

I've made patterns for all the critters, but with a few modifications, they could become anything!
Materials:
- Contrasting fabrics for the body and belly
- Contrasting lining
- Felt for eyes, noses, beaks, heart, etc.
- Sport zipper. 7"-9", I actually prefer the longer one. You will be cutting off part of the zipper. Any zipper will work in a pinch.
- Poly stuffing
- Goodies to hide in pouch

I don't normally cut out the bodies until I'm ready to assemble, then stitch around the complete body as one of the last steps. But if you prefer to cut out the bodies, remember to add a 1/4" seam allowance.

Step 1: Prepare the front
- Cut out and applique the eyes, nose/tooth/beak, belly, tongue (if any), and heart. I use a fancy stitch on my sewing machine (it looks like a row of plus signs), but any applique method would work. Iron on interfacing works as well. Cut the front in half on the zipper line.

Step 2: Install the zipper
-Cut an approximate 2" x 3" piece of fabric from the body color. Fold in half and place over the top end of the zipper to shorten it (see the pictures). Stitch on each side to anchor. Leave the pull on the outside end. We'll be slipping that under this piece later. This way you don't have to try to stitch neatly around that bulky pull.
- Cut a piece of contrasting lining to match the upper and lower pieces of the front.
- Right sides together, stitch the top of the bottom front pieces to the zipper as shown below. Don't stitch too close to the zipper or you won't be able to slip the zipper pull under the fabric stop. Fold the pieces down and press. Top stitch.
- Repeat with the upper half. Note: for the dog/bunny, I shortened the upper lining to just below the ears.
- Now slip the zipper pull to the other side of the fabric zipper stop and trim the zipper away to just inside the body stitching line.

Step 3: Prepare the back and inside lining.
- Cut out the back. Stitch the back seam and tail leaving an opening in the center back for turning. Trim. Clip all curved seams and above and below the tail. Turn the tail and press the back seam open.
- Cut a piece of lining the same size as the finished back. For the dog/bunny, I shortened the lining to just under the ears. Add the lining to the inside side of the front. For the dog/bunny, it sewed the tops of the lining together just below the ears. See picture below.
- Note: I just noticed there is no piece for the Kandy Korn back. Fold the front pattern in half to create the back. Sew the top two colors together first and then treat as one piece when assembling.

Step 4: Join the front and back
- Match the front and back, right sides facing. I cut out the front pattern piece and pinned to the back to use as a stitching line. If you cut the fabric with a 1/4" seam allowance, match up all sides. Stitch around the complete body.
- Trim and clip all curves. Turn the body inside out.
- For the dog only, press the ears and fold over to the front. Stitch across the ears to create a floppy ear effect. You will be stuffing up to this fold/stitch line. See top photo.
- Stuff the critter starting with the ears and tails. Don't over stuff you you won't be able to fit anything in the zipper pouch.

Pattern pieces: These were made to fit on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet. Enlarge or reduce for different size creatures. They are all about 6 - 7 inches tall when finished.  If you want a PDF of the patterns, PM me with your email and I will send you the set.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016 08:42:50 AM by cmarion3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Magpirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016 11:58:52 AM »

Aww, they're super cute!  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shiny.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016 12:25:39 PM »

You are amazing. This is fantastic. This should totally be a craft-along or a challenge or a winner of something awesome. Just... YOU are everything that is Craftster with this post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016 01:00:52 PM »

I love the colors, the details, the different fabrics too!  My favorite part is how you used the zipper for the mouth, teeth, and also the pocket...you didn't waste by making a mouth and then adding on the pocket somewhere else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SympleTymes
SympleTymes Cloth Art By Sherrie Nordgren

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016 01:15:28 PM »

Oh Gosh your Zipper Critters are just soooo adorable! You sure did a totally awesome job! Love Them!
Sherrie N
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SympleTymes Cloth Art By Sherrie Nordgren
http://sympletymes.blogspot.com
For the past 20 plus years I have created cloth dolls, I have a real passion for Vintage, Folk Art,Reminiscent YesterYear Cloth Dolls, Prim,Whimsy,Halloween Year round!
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016 04:23:43 PM »

These are so great! I love how you did the floppy ears. The polkadot cat is my fave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016 06:40:02 PM »

My favorite is the owl right now. .. but it keeps changing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016 08:43:57 AM »

I added a photo to step 4: Prepare the back. It was lurking on my phone.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016 06:55:55 AM »

Love these happy little critters!

Thanks for the tutorial as well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016 01:00:40 PM »

These are the cutest!! I need a grandchild, stat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Birthday, Harry!
Meatless Monday: Quinoa Stuffed Onions
To bead... or not to bead? 'Tis a silly question.

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...