A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JULY NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: It's time to enter FLIP FLOP FUSION! Enter your fab flip flop project now!
Total Members: 318,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make succulent planters from ceramic moneyboxes  (Read 1481 times)
Tags for this thread: planter , unicorn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teaandcraft
« on: October 09, 2016 07:26:19 AM »

My experiments in growing succulents from cuttings and leaves have reached the stage where I have a *lot* of new plants, and no where near enough pots. To remedy this, I headed off to the discount store (because I am nothing if not cheap) but they only had plain plastic pots in their gardening section, which didn't rouse much excitement. However, as I was heading back out via the homewares section, I spotted an amazing unicorn money box. You know what they say, "when life gives you moneyboxes, make planters!" ~___^

I started off with the unicorn moneybox by using a permanent marker to measure out a rectangle shape. I made mine 5.5cm x 3 cm, but the size is really dependent on the shape of your object and the size you want the plant hole to be.  I attached the ceramic cutting wheel to my Dremel (#EZ545, with the EZ Lock Mandrel, for those playing along at home) and started cutting along the marked lines. It cut through the ceramic like butter! Only with, like, a hecka ton of dust. I was wearing safety glasses, ear muffs, and a dust mask during this project which kinda seemed like overkill when I began but, hey, at least I didn't get any ceramic dust in my lungs.

To tidy it up a bit, I went around the edges with a long rounded pink grinding stone attachment (no idea what number is this, sorry!) which really helped make everything look neater and also feel less sharp. Since the moneybox came with a hole in the bottom, I decided just to take out the rubber plug and use that for drainage.

I placed a large flat rock over the hole in the base of the unicorn, and then added a layer of small pebbles. Then all that was left to do was add some cacti and succulent soil, and the plants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016 08:19:40 AM »

Totally excellent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016 02:38:41 AM »

Fantastic reuse - and thanks for the tips of the Dremel tips you used - I have been wanting to cut into some china for another project but have been nervous to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaqulek
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016 09:58:53 AM »

This is so awesome!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016 01:03:52 AM »

Thanks everyone!

@Onyxnox, cutting ceramics definitely feels a bit daunting the first time, but it is actually quite easy and fun! In case you are looking for advice regarding drilling into ceramics as well, I use a 6mm P&N diamond core drill bit and it is great. The one I have is for wet drilling, but I just regularly squirt the surface with a spray bottle while I'm drilling ^___^ Good luck with your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017 07:11:17 AM »

This is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017 08:40:59 AM »

Great idea! Your unicorn is so much more interesting than a boring plastic planter. Did you have to wet down the ceramic while cutting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017 01:49:46 AM »

Thanks lady4feet! I didn't wet the unicorn when I was cutting it with the Dremel but you probably could if you wanted to; it might even cut down on the amount of dust produced!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017 07:47:41 PM »

Way cool! I have been tempted to bring succulents back into my life, but haven't been very excited about affordable pots for them. Suddenly, the world is my oyster-shaped money box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 37
justpretend
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017 08:54:15 PM »

Love! I'm so doing this with my ceramic Elvis bank!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 20th: National Moon Day
Tute Tuesday: Neapolitan Ice Cream Scrub
Finding Frida Kahlo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...