A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
289 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can you tell me about my antique spinning wheel?  (Read 1274 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
roundbutsquare
« on: September 27, 2016 02:16:56 PM »

Hello spinners!

I have a spinning wheel I'd like to start learning on, but it's old and I'd like some guidance before I begin to learn.

A little backstory: my great grandmother came from Norway, and brought this spinning wheel with her when she moved to Minnesota. My grandma brought it out to California at some point and, a few years ago, gave it to my mom before she (grandma) passed away. It's been at my mom's house ever since. I have done a little spinning on a drop spindle and would love to learn how to use this wheel!

I'd love it if someone could take a look at the pictures and just let me know how it looks. I believe it's a Saxony, based on my Googling, and I can learn from YouTube how to use it, but it's very old and has been repaired with random leftover wood from the farm (decades ago). Does it look like it's missing any pieces? If someone who knew how to spin sat down at it, would it be good to go? The pedal works and turns the wheel. Pictures are in an imgur album since I don't post here often and can't post pictures yet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/QFWEK
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roundbutsquare.etsy.com
Arienna
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016 03:15:53 PM »

What a beautiful saxony wheel! There's an interesting contrast between the detailed turnings on the maidens and spokes and the rustic treadle. From what I can see, there's ansolutely nothing to stop it from working but could you take more pictures of the bobbin and flyer assembly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...