A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,572
Currently Running With Scissors:
198 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bananas Foster Butter (canning recipe for fruit butter)  (Read 2566 times)
Tags for this thread: canning , recipe , fruit , banana  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2016 01:18:49 PM »

Bananas Foster is a fantastic dessert.  One that sadly, I can't enjoy anymore since it's normally served with ice cream and I'm lactose intolerant.  But I've found a way to have my bananas and eat them too!  The recipe came from a 1 off magazine from BH&G called Canning, Preserving + Freezing + Drying which came out in 2014, and doesn't seem to be available anymore.  

Update: While the magazine seems to be out-of-print, some digging around on Amazon turned up a new book that BH&G put out last year.  It's called Better Homes and Gardens Complete Canning Guide: Freezing, Preserving, Drying.  In the amazon preview, you can read the index, which lists Banana's Foster recipe.  You might be able to see if a local library has it!

I actually made 2 batches of this, which produced 10 jars and a little extra.  Since originally posting this, so many friends have asked for some, that I had to make more!  I've now made 3 batches, (15 jars) and for my third go I decided to tinker with the recipe a bit.  I personally like cinnamon, but I hate when it's overused, so I've reduced the amount called for to let the banana and brown sugar flavors shine through.  If you can't get enough cinnamon, I've also seen the recipe posted on a blog in which that person doubled the cinnamon with good results.  And while I like nutmeg, I generally prefer allspice, which has a bit of clove flavor to it without being quite as strong as ground cloves.  I've posted my new version below, which was adapted from the original.  It tastes amazing, and even better it's very cheap to make.  The bananas came to all of $4 for 2 batches, and the rest of the ingredients were all things I had around the house.  

If you've never tried home canning before, this would be a great recipe to learn with.  The directions are simple, and you won't have to spend hours chopping produce like you would for salsa.  Be sure to read up on all the basics first though!  FreshPreserving.com has lots of help for beginners.

Bananas Foster Butter
adapted from the original BH&G recipe

8 ripe, firm large bananas
1 c granulated sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c lemon juice
3 T rum
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice

1. Place peeled bananas in a wide 5 qt heavy pot.  Using a potato masher, mash bananas until smooth.  Stir in granulated sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, rum, cinnamon, and allspice.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered, about 20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.

2. Ladle hot banana butter into hot sterilized half pint canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw on bands to fingertip tight.

3. Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 mins (starting timing when water returns to boiling).  Turn off heat.  Wait 5 minutes.  Remove jars from canner; cool on a towel.  (Leaving the jars in the canner for those 5 minutes without heat, allows them to cool more slowly, and helps avoid the rare possibility of a jar 'spurting' when removed and placed on a cooler surface.  Spurting is when the contents of the jar bubble up and out, making a mess and possibly causing burns to nearby humans.  It's only happened to me once, but it wasn't fun.)  Leave jars undisturbed, and away from any draughts for 24 hours.  

4. After 24 hours check lids to make sure they've sealed.  Then be double sure by removing bands and lifting the jars gently by the edge of the lids, about an inch off the table.  Any unsealed jars should be used right away. Store the jars *without* bands, for up to a year.  Leaving the bands on can result in them rusting onto the jars in the presence of any ambient moisture.  Just remember to put a band back on the jar when you give them away as gifts.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016 12:32:36 PM by Mistress Jennie - Reason: fixing typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016 03:48:43 PM »

OOoooOOOoo! Sounds yummy! Bananas Foster is one of The ManFlesh's favorites, too.

Pinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 36
wryly
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016 08:11:05 PM »

Mistress Jenny: So - is this like a butter for toast?

Whatever it is - it sounds delish. Might try this for my sister or for our Christmas baskets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016 07:09:57 AM »

Mistress Jenny: So - is this like a butter for toast?

Whatever it is - it sounds delish. Might try this for my sister or for our Christmas baskets.

Yes, it's a fruit butter.  Like apple butter, pumpkin butter, etc.  Sort of like jam, but smoother and thicker.  Very creamy in texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016 07:02:13 AM »

Oh this looks yummy!! I've wanted to try canning and will have to file this away as an idea for a first recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starkistisbetter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016 12:43:07 PM »

This looks delicious! I've been on a canning spree, but haven't yet tried bananas. I can't see the recipe though? Am I being blind?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016 03:27:43 PM »

This looks delicious! I've been on a canning spree, but haven't yet tried bananas. I can't see the recipe though? Am I being blind?

I did have the recipe up, but we had to remove the it so as not to break copyright.  Even though the magazine is out-of-print, it still violates Craftster's rules.  (And of course we all want to be good Craftsters and follow the rules that keep this place running smoothly!)  Meanwhile I'm working on finding a way to get it to you guys, or link to it in some other way....  Gimme a day or so.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

late_nite_stamper
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016 06:07:25 PM »

Looks yummy.  Hope to see the recipe if it can be posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016 09:37:16 AM »

Ok, I've actually made a 3rd batch, and have posted my adapted recipe.  Since this isn't a copy of a copyrighted recipe, we should be all good.  Remember, you're generally safe playing around with the quantity of dried spice in a recipe, but you should never ever alter the amount of vinegar, lemon juice, salt, or sugar required in a canning recipe, as each of these are used in specific quantities for their preservative effects. 

Happy canning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie
@Home This Weekend: Door Decor
June 20, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...