A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 64
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*Harry Potter Craftalong Yule Term 2016/2017*~ CLOSED!  (Read 105612 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2017 02:34:45 PM »

Last time handing in my homework this term! Cheesy

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Detention NOVEMBER
SPEW: Big Knit 2017
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Innocent Smoothies Hats
Project Page Link (if available): Marianna's Lazy Daisy Days - Innocent Smoothie Hat Patterns
Brief Description: I've been deciding to do a batch for the Big Knit 2017 drive and crocheted 10 hats. They have another drive later this year so will look out for this for more SPEW.
Project Picture:

Here's one hat being modelled by one of the twins' Equestria Girls Dolls ... I KNEW they'd come in handy at some point!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenleahlynn
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2017 05:42:05 PM »

class/challenge-detention october
house-gryffindor
project-chevron pillow

I whipped up this throw pillow cover as a gift for my daughter. I didn't have a pattern, and I wanted to be able to wash it, so i wrapped it around so that the fabric overlaps on the back.  no zipper!

class/challenge-detention nov wip
house-gryffindor
project-fleece pillow case

going through my stash, i found this piece of camo fleece that my son had picked up as a remnant last summer. He had wanted it as a pillow case in his room. Of course i forgot about it until the weather turned colder. the sides were done on the sewing machine, and the open end has a blanket stitch done in yarn.

class/challenge-divination
house-gryffindor
project-paint by number

Last winter, I bought a paint by number kit to have something relaxing to do while our house was being worked on. once we were home, it got put aside for awhile, so this fall i got it out again to finish up. the colors in it look great with my new wood floors.

class/challenge-floo powder-corner shop
house-gryffindor
project-minecraft sword

In our free time, we are a family of readers. my son is also into minecraft, so I made a shrinky dink sword for him and attatched it to an lanyard. he loved it!

class/challenge-head mistress philosopher's stone
house-gryffindor
project-mcgonagall ornament

I started this for the harry potter christmas swap. it's a shrinky dink,but I ran into trouble with paper sticking to the back when it came out of the oven. I evened it out with a layer of gold paint and decided to keep it for my own tree.

class/challenge-magical me
house-gryffindor
project-owl bookmark

I made bookmarks as christmas presents for the kids, and i decided to make one for myself as well. I traced the owl onto shrink film and colored it with colored pencils, then attatched it to a lanyard. the lanyard goes between the pages with the owl dangling from the spine.

class/challenge-potions
house-gryffindor
project-giant pink donut

I'm trying to encourage my family to eat less sweets, so cookies and donuts are my bogart lately. This one transformed into a giant pink pillow, cuddly and fun with no sugar! it's hard to see in the picture but I even embroidered it with blue and purple sprinkles.

class/challenge-soar
house-gryffindor
project-in class painting

our library had a beginners acrylic painting class. I usually do colored pencils, but this is something i've been wanting to try. the teacher led us through the sky, clouds, and trees. i actually found it really hard to work quickly, and know when to stop. i was happier with it when i looked at it at home then when i was staring at it in class.

class/challenge-transfiguration
house-gryffindor
project-mcgonagall shrinky dink

This is the on I actually sent in the swap. with some experimenting i found that larger shrinky dinks do better if they are round instead of square. I also made the cat as a seperate piece so it would look more 3d. it took a bit of planning to be sure that the 2 pieces would fit together after shrinking.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017 06:19:52 PM by jenleahlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
ErinAquaheart
Surviving ccancer through crafting

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2017 08:23:37 PM »

Jen--love the circle mcgonagall ornament. Did you glue the two pieces together or fuze them in the oven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenleahlynn
« Reply #583 on: January 30, 2017 07:56:11 AM »

Jen--love the circle mcgonagall ornament. Did you glue the two pieces together or fuze them in the oven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i shrank them seperately, then put them back into the oven stacked at a higher temperature. i found the idea online, but i can't remember the exact temperature.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #584 on: January 30, 2017 02:18:58 PM »

so many cool things. I love all the hats and it is great to see that picture of the march magpirate
that snack hamper looks awesome! I love the banners

noodlebug that photo of you is just brilliant. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Moonflame
« Reply #585 on: January 30, 2017 06:17:13 PM »

A few last minute ones from me! Smiley

Class/Challenge: Detention in the Dungeons December
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name:Six Swans Shirt For Durango
Project Description: From Wiki: "Six brothers from a King's first marriage have been turned into swans by their stepmother. The brothers can only take their human forms for fifteen minutes every evening. To free them, their sister named Elsa must make six shirts out of Nettles and can't make a sound for seven years or the spell will never be broken."
Duranago said he did NOT want a shirt made from nettles, and TBH, I really didn't want to MAKE anything by sewing nettles, so we settled on a white shirt (like swan's feathers) instead. I had made one for an earlier class prompt, but it was a bit tighter than he liked, and let his tummy show a bit, which was too cold.
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Detention in the Dungeons - January
Project Name: Starry Coat for Melina
Project Description: I had made a little blue coat for Melina, and then put it down unfinished. I realised it would look better with a collar, and that it also needed some sort of closure, so I sewed on a collar, added star "buttons" and some dolly velcro inside for a secure closure. I think she's very happy with it.
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Detention in the Dungeons - November
Project Name: Purple Tam
Project Description: I made https://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/315583_30Jan17_melCoat.JPG[/img]]this pattern for my penpal once a year or 2 ago. I liked it so much, that I decided to make another!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Magical Me!
Project Name: A Hat for Me, Because I'm Worth It!
Project Description: When I was knitting for Pine Ridge, I fell in love with one of the hats in particular, so I made myself one of the same. Cheesy
Project Pic:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #586 on: January 31, 2017 01:43:29 AM »

Class/Challenge: Detention in the Dungeons December
Project Name:Six Swans Shirt For Durango
Project Description: From Wiki: "Six brothers from a King's first marriage have been turned into swans by their stepmother. The brothers can only take their human forms for fifteen minutes every evening. To free them, their sister named Elsa must make six shirts out of Nettles and can't make a sound for seven years or the spell will never be broken."

I had completely forgotten that story, I used to read it as a child.

interestingly though, about nettles (and I can't remember the story properly) nettles actually have fibres that are similar to flax. You can harvest them and rett the fibres-that is letting the green rot away, you are left with lovely soft white fibres that can be spun into yarn and then woven. I have seen nettle fabric and it is not dissimilar to linen.

there is even a  youtube video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=361YVBkFylo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Moonflame
« Reply #587 on: January 31, 2017 06:33:48 AM »

@edelC That's a cool video! I can't believe what the fibres looked like after only 2 minutes of carding. O_O Watching the stalk splitting made me really uncomfortable, because all I could imagine was how I'd be sure to encounter some unexpected spikes. Tongue Brave man!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
IsikkahJai
« Reply #588 on: January 31, 2017 07:10:04 AM »

Here's a different version of that same story! \O/ It was always one of my favorites as a child but I don't remember where I heard/saw it. No one seems to know it when I try to explain.

It's called the Seven Swan Brothers. An evil witch cursed seven brothers to become swans with only one day a year to become human. Their little sister went to the Lady of the Forest and asked how she could break the curse and the Lady told her that she must find the nettle plants that grow along the river banks. She would have to cut them, harvest them, soak them, beat them, spin them and finally weave them all by herself into shirts for each of her Seven Brothers before the curse was broken. And she may not speak a word while she worked. She couldn't cry out in pain or hum under he breath. Nothing. Not until the last shirt is over the last head of her last brother would she be able to speak and the curse would be broken. In one version, she didn't finish one sleeve but was in portal peril so as the last shirt went over the head of her brother, she cried out and for the rest of his life he remained human with one swan's wing for an arm.

Juliet Marillier wrote a trilogy based on this story and it is FABULOUS. It's called the Seven Waters Trilogy. It's SO WORTH the read!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13928.Daughter_of_the_Forest
https://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Forest-Sevenwaters-Trilogy-Book/dp/0765343436
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017 07:12:30 AM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #589 on: January 31, 2017 07:59:38 AM »

Deputy Noods casts the homunculus charm - we are here!

Please note I'm not going to update the first page post with all your completed projects at this point, because I don't want to give away house cup standings!

ERIN - one of your spew hats (hat no 6) didn't have a picture so I wasn't able to count it! Please feel free to resubmit (in a new post) with a pic before the end of term so we can all admire your work and you can have the house points!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017 08:25:28 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 64 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
November 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...