A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 314,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
264 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 64
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*Harry Potter Craftalong Yule Term 2016/2017*~ CLOSED!  (Read 76179 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016 02:55:32 PM »

Welcome to...
Diagon Alley

"Did he say diagonally?"

"Harry wished he had eight more eyes... There were shops selling robes, shops selling telescopes and strange silver instruments Harry had never seen before, windows stacked with barrels of bat spleens and eels' eyes, tottering piles of spell books, quills, and rolls of parchment, potion bottles, globes of the moon...

Mistress Jennie's Handmade Jewelry
MistressJennie on Etsy has donated a...

Mistress Jennie has also donated a Platform 9 3/4 wallet!  Carry your galleons, sickles and knuts, as well as your Muggle currency everywhere with this fantastic scarlet trifold wallet.

*ships worldwide*

Noodle's Notions Nest
The utterly fantastic noodle-bug has donated...
A watercolour set, with paints and brushes in handy kit that doubles as a water reservoir and mixing palate, then folds away to pocket size when you're done, and a pad of watercolour paper  

Noodle has also donated a Hogwarts yearbook, full of activities and fun stuffs for kiddos of all ages!

*ships worldwide*

LovelyMiss's Most Marvelous Makings
The awsome LovelyMiss has donated a reusable notebook cover with an elastic closure (composition book included).  The fabric is Deer Me in the Indigo colorway from the Moon Shine line by Tula Pink for Free Spirit!

*ships within North America*

The Octopus's Garden
The wonderous Abbeeroad has donated a delectable deathly hallows wood-burned necklace!

Diagon Alley needs you!
Donations of prizes (to be drawn for in the end of term feast) are gladly received, please PM noodle-bug & Mistress Jennie if you have something to donate, or any questions about donations...

Guidelines for suitable Prize donations:
~finished handcrafted HP themed items that are good for any HP fan or customizable for the winner.  
(Ex: A Hedwig bookmark would be good for anyone and is a lovely prize, but a Slytherin bookmark wouldn't work for everyone.  Better yet would be an offer of a bookmark in the winner's choice of House colours!)
~handmade items useful to any crafter are also great, such a handmade 'ideas' notebook or hand printed fabric
~giftcard to your shop (Please note this must be enough for the recipient to receive an item at NO cost to them)
~purchased Harry Potter themed items
~Harry Potter themed craft supplies
~gift cards to online craft suppliers (Remember, we are a worldwide group, so local independent shops aren't much help to a member in another country.)
~Complete Craft Kits (full details through link)

THANK YOU to all our donors - You're part of what makes the HPC the great community it is!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017 07:51:20 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016 01:25:24 PM »

Welcome to the Yule Term of the Harry Potter Craftalong! I hope that you will all carry the excellent crafty momentum from last term into this one! This term, we will be exploring the Gryffindor Tower and the Gryffindors within it! We'll start in the common room, where work, play, and students mingle. Explore and enjoy!

Test your HP knowledge: Harry Potter Emoji Quiz

Keep good company: Famous Gryffindors

Cross your stars: THE UNOFFICIAL, SIXTH YEAR HOGWARTS SCHOLAR'S GUIDE TO WIZARDLY SUN SIGNS

Who's that Gryffindor?

Ever find yourself wandering the halls of Hogwarts, spotting other students with a gold and red scarf, and thinking to yourself, "who is that Gryffindor?" Well, wonder no more! The common room is a place for all Gryffindor students to mingle and get to know each other! If you are a little shy or intimidated, I'll introduce you to some. Wink

Allow me to introduce Gryffindor student (and our esteemed Headmistress), Mistress Jennie!

You may recognize Mistress Jennie by her beautiful face:

Or by her beautiful personality! Read on to learn a little bit more about your fellow Gryffindor.

What do you feel makes you a Gryffindor?
That is an excellent question, especially since I'm not sure many who meet me would call me bold or daring.  I always had fantastic grades and was an overachiever in school, like my Ravenclaw friends.  I worked very hard to get a full scholarship to graduate school, and my fierce ambition paid off, like it often does for our Slytherin members. When I taught college, my goal was to make sure all my students were included, like any loyal Hufflepuff.  But when the Sorting Hat asked who I wanted to be, I knew in my heart it was Gryffindor. Gryffindor House represents everything I want to be, and try hard to hold myself to being.  To me being a Gryffindor means standing up and speaking up when you see wrongs or injustices happening.  It means risking death (or worse, expulsion!), to make sure evil doesn't take root.  It means that you keep going, even when things seem darkest, because in the end that's the right thing to do.

Which Gryffindor student do you think you most resemble?

If I were to name which Gryffindor student I am most like, I'd have say a mix of Hermione and Neville.  I might not be the first one to decide to go on a quest, worrying over the possible consequences, and sometimes I need to dig deep to find my courage.  But that didn't stop either of them from fighting for what was right, and it won't stop me either.

What drew you to the Harry Potter Craftalong?
Our former Headmistress pinkleo, asked me to join during the first semester.  I had seen her post the Craftalong, but at first I didn't want to get involved, because I felt so busy with work.  But since we are Crafster BFF's, I decided to stop in and say hello in an effort to support her new endeavor.  Since we usually co-organized for one another's swaps, it was natural to offer to help her when the Craftalong started to grow.  Soon, I was her Deputy Headmistress, and the rest as they say, is history!

What is your favorite project you've ever submitted as part of the Craftalong?
I keep a Pinterest Board with everything I've submitted to the HPC, and in thinking about this question I scrolled through it.  It seems I've submitted 500 projects since the HPC began, so it was hard to narrow it down.  I'd say my top three are the Gryffin-ghan that I made for pinkleo, because it was the first large scale crochet project that I took on. The inspiration from folks who were making large scale projects here really gave me the confidence to try something so big. 

Next was my Muggle Studies NEWT, a home canning extravaganza in which I taught myself about canning by making 20 different preserved food recipes, resulting in 105 jars of food in just 36 days!  I think this was my first NEWT, and the incentive to complete a large scale project to earn lots of House Points was a great inducement to try something I was initially frightened of.

But my absolute favorite project that I've submitted here was my Shrine to the Goddess of Crafty Inspiration, which was also made for pinkleo.  While it is physically small, about 7" square, it took a full week of painting, crackling, sanding, distressing, stamping, gathering bits and bobs, and gluing items in layer by layer.  I used lots of items I had been hoarding for years including antique buttons, wooden spools, and tins, found objects like the burnt out headlight from my car, broken jewelry, and a licorice root from Knickertwist's garden.  I think the ongoing nature of the project, in which only a bit could be done at a time, is a great parallel to the HPC, where we are each sharing a bit of our crafting with one another each and every day.

What is your favorite Harry Potter-themed craft (can be yours of someone else's)?
I think my favorite HP craft that I've created is my Silver Doe Shrine Ornaments for the HP Holiday Swap in 2014. It was one of those rare instances of a 'Eureka! Moment' of inspiration, coupled with the fact that they came out even better than I had imagined them. 

As for HP crafts from other folks, I've long been in love with ofenjen's Harry Potter Quilt.  It's my Everest.  The thing I'd most like to conquer some day.

How has the Harry Potter Craftalong influenced your life (inside or outside of crafting)?
The HPC has had a huge influence in my life.  I came to know several members who I consider close friends out in the Muggle world, and have even had a chance to meet a few including Abbeeroad & Magpirate.  (And I'm looking forward to meeting edelC this summer!)  It has also taught me to look for inspiration everyday.  Since I'm the one planning so many of the challenge & class prompts, I keep a running list of ideas, so that hopefully the craftalong never feels stale.  I want everyone to continue to be inspired here, which in turn, inspires me.

Anything you'd like to say to your fellow HPC Hogwarts Students?
Thank you for inspiring me!  Each time I see someone excitedly propose an OWL, proudly post their completed NEWT, or even just commenting on someone else's work, it gives me a warm glow in my heart.  Craftster is such a magical place of sharing and creativity, but the HPC is even more special to me because it combines that creative spark with a deep and abiding love of story, helping to keep the magic of that story alive in our hearts every day.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to your fellow students, Mistress Jennie!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017 01:42:41 PM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016 01:51:27 PM »

Welcome Back for Yule Term!

This time every year we gear up for the “season of holidays”.  Beginning with Halloween and going through the new year there is always a lot to celebrate.  But what about some lesser known holidays?  This semester we over in Ravenclaw Tower are going to see if we can rival the celebrations of the Hufflepuff “Party” Room by celebrating some lesser known holidays!

October
1st - National Homemade Cookies Day
2nd - National Name your Car Day - maybe we can name our broomsticks instead!
4th - National Taco Day - really the most important day of the year.
8th - Canadian Thanksgiving - In the late 1950s, the Canadian government declared the second Monday in every October Thanksgiving day.
12th - International Moment of Frustration Scream Day - after all those History of Magic scrolls Professor Binns assigned we could all use a good scream.
15th - Global Handwashing Day
18th - National No-Beard Day
24th - National Bologna Day

30th - Mischief Night - this is every night for Peeves!

November
3rd - Sandwich Day
6th - National Saxophone Day

8th - Cook Something Bold and Pungent Day - maybe we should keep this a secret from the house elves.
15th - National Bundt Day
18th - National Married to a Scorpio Day
23rd - National Fibonacci Day
24th - Celebrate your Unique Talent Day

25th - Shopping Reminder Day - only one month until Christmas
27th - National Flossing Day - Hermione’s parents favorite holiday!
28th - National Aura Awareness Day - maybe we should all avoid Professer Trelawney today.

December
5th - Repeal Day - celebrating the end of Prohibition! -Let’s have a Butterbeer!
7th - National Cotton Candy Day
12th - Poinsettia Day

21st - Forefathers’ Day - first celebrated in 1769 in honor of the pilgrims, who landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620
21st - National Flashlight Day
23rd - Festivus - let’s “air our grievances” and perform many “feats of strength”

January
3rd - Fruitcake Toss Day
9th - National Static Electricity Day

14th - National Dress Up Like your Pet Day - time to dust off that old owl costume
18th - Thesaurus Day
20th - Penguin Awareness Day

22nd - National Answer Your Cat’s Questions Day - meow?
24th - “Butter” Beer Can Appreciation Day
28th - National Kazoo Day

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016 11:39:42 AM by FiberAlchemist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErinAquaheart
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016 03:33:34 PM »

Slytherin's ONLY!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonflame
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016 04:22:46 PM »

Welcome to the Hufflepuff Common Room!!

Let us take a moment month to celebrate the Glorious Birth of Gilderoy Lockhart!

Surround Yourself with the Party Atmosphere! (opens in new window.)

Completed Classes

HOUSE PRIDE: Seeuudee

HOUSE UNITY: Moonflame

Alchemy: Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

Apparition:Gaudiknight, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

Arithmancy: Seeuudee,  Patty_o_furniture, Midkiffsjoy, GaudiKnight, Jillybeans, Moonflame,  Patty_o_furniture

Astronomy: Gaudiknight,  Patty_o_furniture, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Plaidpineapple, Seeuudee, Midkiffsjoy

Care of Magical Creatures: Gaudiknight, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

Charms:  Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

Defence Against the Dark Arts: Jillybeans, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Midkiffsjoy, Gaudiknight

Divination: Seeuudee, Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight, FateWineRoses, Midkiffsjoy, Plaidpineapple, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Flying: Patty_o_furniture, Midkiffsjoy, Gaudiknight

Herbology:  Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

History of Magic: Gaudiknight, Jillybeans, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Midkiffsjoy, Midkiffsjoy, Plaidpineapple, Seeuudee

Muggle Studies: Midkiffsjoy, Patty_o_furniture, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee, Gaudiknight

Potions: AnnoyingBigSister, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Study of Ancient Runes: Midkiffsjoy, Patty_o_furniture, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee, Gaudiknight

Transfiguration:  FateWineRoses, Patty_o_furniture, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans

Detention in the Dungeons

October: AnnoyingBigSister **FIRST SUBMISSION OF THE TERM!!** Smiley,  Seeuudee,  Patty_o_furniture, Midkiffsjoy, GaudiKnight

November: Midkiffsjoy, GaudiKnight, Seeuudee, Moonflame

December: GaudiKnight, Midkiffsjoy, Moonflame

January: Midkiffsjoy, Moonflame

Headmistress's Challenge:

October -  WAND : Seeuudee

Mini Challenge - Put a Pumpkin on it: Seeuudee,  Patty_o_furniture

November - BROOM:  AnnoyingBigSister

Dec - Post Owl: GaudiKnight, Midkiffsjoy

A Pinch of Floo Powder

Prague: Gaudiknight

Tattooine: Midkiffsjoy

A Bridge: Midkiffsjoy

Empire State Building: AnnoyingBigSister, Midkiffsjoy

Tree House: AnnoyingBigSister, GaudiKnight, Midkiffsjoy

Grimmauld Place: Jillybeans, Moonflame, Midkiffsjoy

~*Hagrid's 12 Christmas Trees Challenge Series*~

Angel: Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight, Seeuudee

Baubles: Seeuudee, Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight

Bells: Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee, Gaudiknight

Candles: Seeuudee, FateWineRoses, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Fake Snow: Patty_o_furniture, Midkiffsjoy, Seeuudee, Seeuudee, Gaudiknight

Garland: Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee, Seeuudee, Gaudiknight

Icicles: Seeuudee, Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight

Lights: Seeuudee, AnnoyingBigSister, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Ribbons: Patty_o_furniture, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

Star: AnnoyingBigSister, Seeuudee, FateWineRoses, Patty_o_furniture, Jillybeans, Gaudiknight, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Tinsel: Seeuudee, Patty_o_furniture, Gaudiknight, Jillybeans, Moonflame

Tree Skirt: FateWineRoses, Midkiffsjoy, Jillybeans, Moonflame, Seeuudee

Magical ME Challenge

Midkiffsjoy, Seeuudee, Moonflame, Gaudiknight

Philosopher's Stone Challenge

Midkiffsjoy, Seeuudee, Midkiffsjoy, Gaudiknight

O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s

Proposed O.W.L.s:

J_Kieviet - Transfiguration, Option 1

Gaudiknigt - Potions completed

Moonflame - Potions, Option 1

Seeuudee - Charms

Patty_o_furniture - Defence Against the Dark Arts, Option 1

Completed O.W.L.s:

Patty_o_furniture

Gaudiknight

Moonflame, - Potion, Option 1

Proposed N.E.W.T.s

J_Kieviet - Arithmancy

Patty_o_furniture - Arithmancy

Plaidpineapple - Potions

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017 07:48:39 AM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016 07:21:36 AM »

Hogwarts will continue to host "Iron Chef Hogwarts" this semester! Each month a new secret ingredient will be revealed. All Hogwarts students who prepare a dish containing the secret ingredient will earn the secret ingredient badge displayed below and be entered into the Ion Chef Hogwarts giveaway at semester's end to win a yet-to-be-announced prize!

If you make a dish with the secret ingredient each month, your name will be entered into the drawing at the end of the semester THREE times for THREE chances to win!

Be sure to add the header Iron Chef Hogwarts: SECRET INGREDIENT (e.g. MUSHROOM) to your entry. And double up with existing classes/challenges to claim house points (Iron Chef Hogwarts entries that do not fit a class/challenge prompt will not count for house points)

The secret ingredient for January is....

SPARKLING WINE!

Celebrate the new year with a Vanilla Sparkling Wine Pound Cake, or cheers it up with this Sparkling Pomegranate Punch, or even sparkle up dinner with Chicken with Fresh Peas and Sparkling Wine!*

*Sparkling grape juice, cider, or any other "sparkling" drink can be substituted. Grin

Previous Iron Chef Challenges

October - Beer

November - Cranberries

December - Coffee

NOTE: All secret ingredients are chosen at random from a list of ingredients that have been actual Iron Chef secret ingredients on the US muggle television show. That being said, if you are allergic to any ingredient posted, you may still enter and earn your badge IF you choose a recipe that is traditionally made with the secret ingredient but substitute that single ingredient with an allergy-safe version. Please call out any substitutions in your post. Only substitutions based on allergy or other health-related dietary restrictions will be accepted. Thank you for your cooperation!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017 08:06:28 AM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016 11:47:15 AM »

Potions classroom
Severus Snape Appreciation Society
Meets every Wednesday at 8. All Welcome. Bring memes

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016 04:15:25 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016 12:24:31 PM »

During the Yule Term there will be 6 Meteor Showers! We'll have the Draconids, Orionids, Taurids, Leonids, Geminids and the Ursids Meteor Shower.  A meteor shower is a celestial event in which a number of meteors are observed to radiate, or originate, from one point in the night sky. These meteors are caused by streams of cosmic debris called meteoroids entering Earth's atmosphere at extremely high speeds on parallel trajectories.

For homework I would like you to study the different Meteor Showers and craft something in multiples, incorporates the number 6 or something that springs out at you when studying the origins (name/place in space etc) of the meteor showers above. (If choosing the last option, please state which meteor shower you studied and what did spring out at you during your studies).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016 01:17:54 PM by Inselaeffchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016 12:25:09 PM »

The weather can turn quite a bit at Hogwarts! It's getting colder, wetter, and stormier up north. So during the Yule Trimester we'll be looking into the magical components of tea. I'd like you to select one type of plant that can be used to brew tea. It may be the traditional tea (Camellia sinensis) plant used for white, black, and green tea, or any plants that can be made into an herbal tea. These include mint, chamomile, rooibos, rose hips, lemon peel, or any other plant material that may be brewed into a tea or tisane.

Please look at your plant and then craft something that represents the characteristics of the plant (leaves, color, berries, flowers etc.). Or you could craft something that you associate with tea, the tea ceremony or the uses of tea (think outside the box!).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016 01:20:12 PM by Inselaeffchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016 12:43:04 PM »

Care if Magical Creatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 64 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...