A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Whoa, monster refridgerator dough!  (Read 2064 times)
Tags for this thread: bread , baking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2016 04:23:51 PM »

photos broken by photobucket, so sad  Cry

Years ago the fella and I attended a bread baking workshop as one of our first dates (ya, I'm a weirdo like that). We learned how to make a frugal batch of dough that lasts in the fridge for a week (or the freezer for longer) and is enough to bake 3 delicious loaves. I make a lot of banana, zucchini, and carrot loaves but never yeast bread.

Here's the website of our bread master with the recipe, instructions, and even some FAQs
(Her book is a really great resource for saving money on groceries and frugal food prep btw. It's Canadian, convert $ to your equivalent.)

http://abundanceonadime.blogspot.ca/2008/05/bread-solution-refrigerator-bread-dough.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017 10:47:32 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016 12:14:59 AM »

Your bread looks delicious!

And thanks for sharing that link. Looks interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016 02:18:01 AM »

Beautiful bread!  I love the addition of the potato - I wonder if that helps with the elasticity.  When I used to make bread - I would add some extra gluten flour for that elasticity, replacing some of the white flour.  Have you tried the artisan bread in 5 minutes/day - it makes a great refrigerator dough too and was one of my favourites for using as a pizza dough base.  They also had a sweet, eggy dough too that was great for pastries.

Do you like pumpernickel?  I also have a great recipe somewhere for a really lovely fluffy pumpernickel.  Also sweet potato bread - which made wonderful rolls for Christmas or Thanksgiving too - and I always wanted to try to make a stuffing with it - but there was never enough leftover.

If you want to try them, let me know and I will find the recipes for you.

I really miss making bread - your loaves look so lovely, I can just about smell them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016 04:00:48 AM »

I would love ALL your recipes, yes please! Feeding 5 ppl can be challenging, any tips & tricks are appreciated.
The bread is very good, really light & soft & slightly sweet. We've got about 30 lbs of blanched potatoes in the freezer to use up, long story,  so this recipe is going to be my go-to for a while Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016 08:29:22 AM »

These loaves look amazing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016 10:49:23 AM »

Your bread looks so appetizing, I might start making some too. Did all the neighbors came to say Hi?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016 07:30:16 PM »

After 5 loaves of zucchini bread, 5 carrot, & 8 banana we made a dbl batch of monster dough & boy are my arms tired! I'm going to have to try that no-knead recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016 05:04:10 AM »

After 5 loaves of zucchini bread, 5 carrot, & 8 banana we made a dbl batch of monster dough & boy are my arms tired! I'm going to have to try that no-knead recipe.

I'll email them to you as I find them - I think I still have  your email from the meet up... there is one that sits and develops for about a day that is pretty cool for kids to check on, because you can see the yeast bubbles develop and burble about.

Oooops - no email.. OK, will post them up here for you.

Some of these were made with bread machine instructions - easy to switch to by hand as I have broken a few bread makers over time.

Savoury Sweet Potato Bread
1 cup [extra large: 1 1/3 cups] mashed, canned sweet potatoes or yams (drained, reserve liquid) 
1/2 cup [extra large: 3/4 cup] reserved liquid from sweet potatoes or yams 
2 tbsp [extra large: 3 tbsp] vegetable oil, margarine or butter 
3/4 tsp [extra large: 1 tsp] salt 
1 tbsp [extra large: 2 tbsp] sugar 
3 cups [extra large: 4 cups] white flour(*) 
1/4 tsp [extra large: 1/2 tsp] pepper, nutmeg or dried chili peppers 
1 1/4 tsp [extra large: 1 1/2 tsp] bread-machine or instant yeast 
(* In Canada use all-purpose or bread flour; in the United States use bread flour) 

1. Add all ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's directions. Select basic white cycle. VARIATION: Clover Leaf Rolls Select dough cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough to lightly floured surface, cover, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut dough into 12 or 16 pieces; shape each into a smooth ball and place in greased muffin tins. Cover with clean tea towel and let rise in warm place for about 30 minutes or until double in size. Bake at 375 deg F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rolls from pans and serve warm or leave to cool on racks. 

Notes:  I did not use the amounts for the xtra large loaf, the first measures of ingredients made a loaf that rose very nicely above the pan.  I added both black pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon to the loaf.  It gave a very subtle flavour.  I may add more pepper and nutmeg when making it in the future for stew or a casserole.  I also made it with the egg - the texture was very nice and fluffy.  Would make excellent rolls for a traditional dinner like at Thanksgiving, with a nice glossy glaze.  Also, I did not use canned sweet potatoes, I used roasted mashed, so used water for the liquid.  For a softer, more tender loaf, I used cup liquid and 1 egg, and sometimes replace some of the white flour with gluten flour for more gluten.  Also I have made it with dried jalapeno flakes too for a bit of heat.  Great with turkey, or stews.  One of my most favourite breads to make.

Pumpernickel Bread

1+1/3 cups water (335ml)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (60ml)
1/2 tsp salt (3ml)
2 tbsp white sugar 
1 tsp instant coffee (5ml)
2 eggs
1/3 cup molasses (80gm)
2 tbsp cocoa powder (60ml)
2 cups white flour (284gm)
1 cup whole wheat flour (142gm)
1 cup rye flour (142gm)
2 tsp dried yeast (10ml)

Place water in large mixing bowl and add sugar, yeast and salt. When mixture has started to bubble, add eggs, molasses, oil and gradually add in flour, cocoa and coffee, mixing well, first with a large metal spoon and then using fingers. Mix and knead really well. Do not add too much flour while kneading, as the dough will bind to itself quite well once you get going. Knead until smooth and sticky, but not sticky enough to cling to surface. Place in warm, greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise for two hours or until doubled in volume. Then punch down dough and knead lightly. Make into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Brush with egg wash or milk, if desired and allow to rise for at least one more hour. Bake at 375F or 190C for 25 minutes. Brush with melted butter when removing from the oven if you did not use egg wash and allow to cool on baking rack. 

This makes a lovely flavourful loaf that is quite soft and fluffy

Rosemary-Lemon No-Knead Bread
This bread is almost effortless to make because it requires no kneading. Instead, the dough is allowed to slowly rise over a long period of time. Then it is baked in a preheated covered cast-iron pot, which helps produce a crispy, bakery-style crust on the finished loaf.
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. chopped lemon zest
Cornmeal as needed
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, salt, rosemary and zest. Add 1 5/8 cups water and stir until blended; the dough will be shaggy and very sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest at warm room temperature (about 70F) until the surface is dotted with bubbles, 12 to 18 hours.
Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle the dough with a little flour and fold the dough over onto itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
Using just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface or your fingers, gently and quickly shape the dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel, preferably a flour sack towel (not terry cloth), with cornmeal. Put the dough, seam side down, on the towel and dust with more flour or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise until the dough is more than double in size and does not readily spring back when poked with a finger, about 2 hours.
At least 30 minutes before the dough is ready, put a 2 3/4-quart cast-iron pot in the oven and preheat the oven to 450F.
Carefully remove the pot from the oven. Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over, seam side up, into the pot; it may look like a mess, but that is OK. Shake the pan once or twice if the dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the loaf is browned, 15 to 30 minutes more.
Transfer the pot to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Using oven mitts, turn the pot on its side and gently turn the bread; it will release easily. Makes one 1 1/2-lb. loaf.

Obviously omit the lemon and rosemary and you get a plain artisan style loaf

Here is the link to the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day site - if you find the recipes link down the right edge - they post a lot of recipes for what do with various doughs, etc  They are doing more gluten free, but I have not tried them yet.  Gluten Free bread making has been depressing after the joy of regular flour bread making.

This is their master boule - this was my go to recipe for making a base dough for no knead bread/french bread/pizza dough before we found out Jim had Celiacs. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016 05:26:37 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016 06:17:42 AM »

Oh, you are awesomesauce! I happen to have some cooked squash and potatoes in the fridge right now that need using up. Do you think I could sub those for the first recipe? I don't have the any liquid but do have a small amount of chicken broth, think that would work? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, I am gonna bake me some bread today!
There are 2 loaves in the oven now from the dough we made yesterday. My kids are drooling by the stove waiting for them to come out, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016 07:01:55 AM »

Oh, you are awesomesauce! I happen to have some cooked squash and potatoes in the fridge right now that need using up. Do you think I could sub those for the first recipe? I don't have the any liquid but do have a small amount of chicken broth, think that would work? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, I am gonna bake me some bread today!
There are 2 loaves in the oven now from the dough we made yesterday. My kids are drooling by the stove waiting for them to come out, lol!

You are a bread making maniac!

The broth should work, and so should the potatoes and squash - BUT they may have less liquid than the sweet potatoes so you may have to go by feel for the dough and adjust the liquid.  Also, I like to add a bit of protein for a more soft texture, so I replace some of the liquid with an egg or milk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...