A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Which flip flop creation is your favorite?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 313,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mandala  (Read 1897 times)
Tags for this thread: mandala , hoopla , fiber_art , fabric_collage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 20, 2016 12:23:12 PM »

This was made for the recent stitched mandala swap, it was supposed to be about 5" and technically the actual mandala bit in the centre does meet that size requirement but... My partner Wulf said in his questionnaire that he'd like to incorporate the finished piece into a larger cushion cover, when I heard that I got a little carried away with the rest and it's about 17" across. Oops!

The centre.

It took more time to plan the design than anything. I changed my mind a bunch of times about placement and colour while it was coming together, seeing it for real was different than my imaginings many times.

I scored this awesomely ginormous hoop and stand at a thrift store on a trip to our cottage mid-process, how timely!

Everything was from stash except the greenish hand spun yarn, that I bought at our local knit place first. I was looking for a colour-way as inspiration and they had just the thing. The white hand spun is from a friend's stash.

I tried to echo the colourful stitching in white on white for an interesting if not immediately obvious detail to keep your eyes entertained every time they see the spiral. I would make a few changes with that but all in all I was happy with how it turned out.
I've been really inspired lately by the TAST website and wanting to try many sorts of stitches I've never done so this was really great for that. I have to work on my finishing though, the back is a total mess of knots Tongue.

The idea for a backing for the cushion Wulf wanted to make kept rolling around in my mind until finally I had to make it. Using the original pattern I cut out pieces of the same fabric used for the front and stitched then into a similar spiral shape. I hope it will suit his style, either way I'm excited to see the finished product!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016 05:18:04 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016 12:34:49 PM »

CRAFTYLITTLEMONKEY!!! (Yes, in all caps!)

So, I already uber fan gushed over you in the swap thread, but YAY FOR PROGRESS SHOTS and thought process! Glory Day, it makes me love it even more!

I'm not kidding, I wondered how you increased so evenly from center out. Also, your pre-planning is clearly what gives it such a final cohesive look. I struggle with producing abstract work, so it's interesting for me to see the planning which produced a seemingly organic piece, but was in fact carefully pre-plotted, allowing for the freeform opportunities. Le sigh

Lovely. Lovely. Lovely. Thank you for sharing. You are incredibly talented.

JoyfulClover

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016 03:44:42 PM by JoyfulClover » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016 12:39:30 PM »

Absolutely STUNNING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016 12:59:26 PM »

Thank you so much for the awesome compliments! I too have trouble with abstract organic work though it is what I love the look of most. I am naturally very organized but I also had rigorous training when I went to school for fashion design so it's difficult for me to be "messy", I get overwhelmed and paralyzed with too much choice, if you know what I mean? I had to let myself go to get this done. Like I was going to drive myself crazy if I tried to be tidier with the knots but not being tidy with the knots drove me crazy, lol!
Wulf and I seem to share an aesthetic so I had confidence in choosing what I thought he would like. The trouble was narrowing it down! The drawing started out much more complicated with many more rings but it just looked too busy and had to be simplified to work with all the colours and stitches I wanted to use. I did not end up using all the colours and stitches I wanted too, lol, that would have been the size of a quilt and taken me 10 years! I have a giant file of mandalas of all sorts and many, many examples of stitches, I printed all that out and sketched and imagined and got started very late as a result! I stitched far into the night more than once to be finished on time. It was very enjoyable and I was super happy to have it come out somewhat as I envisioned. And now my lovely man wants me to make one similar for us. I am exhausted by the idea but maybe I'll start something and see how it goes. I will take my time with it though. And I will certainly try my hand at some of the styles in the mandala swap gallery, everything was gorgeous and beautifully constructed, super inspiring!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016 01:00:47 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016 01:12:06 PM »

GooooooooooooooooorGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016 04:18:14 PM »

This is fabulous! I love the white on white contrasting with the color. I jumped over to see what TAST was just for a second.....twenty minutes later remembered I was writing this post. lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016 07:08:30 AM »

RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME!  Just as well I have no idea where Wulf lives, or I'd totally snaffle it!  Cheesy  Thanks for sharing your process too, I love reading details like that.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016 07:35:21 AM »

Saw your (Wulf's!) mandala while snooping around the gallery, and my eyeballs fell out. It is such a stunning piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loca4crafts
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016 08:11:57 PM »

Amazing work!  That will make an awesome cushion cover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016 06:16:11 AM »

Just amazing, CLM!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 26, 2017 Featured Projects
What's Up Girlfriend?
Tute Tuesday: Cons to Mary Janes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...