A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Themed Advent Calendar Swap  (Read 2098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
IsikkahJai
« on: August 15, 2016 10:38:06 AM »

I have ALWAYS missed this swap for one reason or another. ALWAYS! And I am always secretly impressed when crafters can manage holidays AND this ginormous swap. Like, whhhhyyyy would you do that to yourself?! Cheesy You are the bravest and most organized people I know! But I don't celebrate the holidays for personal reasons and I feel left out of the CHRISTMAS STOCKING SWAP and the ADVENT CALENDAR when they come up. Can't we just have these swaps be Seasonal or Themed instead of "Holiday"?

Same rules would apply. You'd sign up, get one partner, have two months (or more) to craft for one month of gift-opening goodies (including the calendar itself). Package can be sent in numerous smaller ones or in a large package once.

BUT! The gorgeous thing about it is, the theme can be customized to anything!  It can entail themes like Seasons, Favorite things, Books, Anime/Manga/Studio Ghibli, Movies, or Geekery. OR it can even be an "INSPIRATION swap" where there are card prompts instead of crafted 3-D things where each day the recipient would open a card and craft/write/meditate on the prompt. We can make it as big or as small as we like.

I just want to be part of one  Cheesy But I can't organize. Here's a link to the one MareMare hosted back in 2011:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=388992.0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016 10:41:51 AM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016 05:50:57 PM »

Hey IsikkahJai!

I keep looking at this tempting post. I have a deep affection for advent calendars. And I would love to swap something more seasonal vs the more traditional themes.

But man. That's a big swap for me. I'll keep watching this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IsikkahJai
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016 02:38:49 PM »

I know right? It would almost have to be a two month craft time cuz it is pretty big. I was always intimidated by this kind of swap but eager to try it just ONCE to see if I liked it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016 05:26:35 PM »

Oh definitely.

Partners would have to be assigned by Oct. 1 to send out and arrive by Dec. 1.

It would be fun, though. To open every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IsikkahJai
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016 02:36:08 PM »

Well if someone is willing to take on the challenge, I think it'll be fun Smiley I would but I can't. But again, Does NOT have to be a December thing. Could be a January thing or a June thing. Whatevs Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016 02:36:41 PM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kartiana
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016 07:49:58 AM »

What if it was a mix of crafted/inspirational messages? For example we could make 5 small things so our partner would have one to open each week, and fill the rest of the spaces with letters of encouragement/inspiration/quotes/etc or some of the spaces could be filled with small store bought goodies. I'd be up for it if I don't have to craft tooooo many things  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016 01:17:46 PM »

wow, this would be fabulous, but not sure i could find the time. Even Oct 1 seems late to start it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dinkime

Do you like my scrapbook monocle?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016 02:01:50 PM »

Loved when I did one of the Advent ones, and being able to choose a theme would be cool.  Not sure on timing (first year teacher here!)....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IsikkahJai
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016 08:26:40 AM »

What if it was a mix of crafted/inspirational messages? For example we could make 5 small things so our partner would have one to open each week, and fill the rest of the spaces with letters of encouragement/inspiration/quotes/etc or some of the spaces could be filled with small store bought goodies. I'd be up for it if I don't have to craft tooooo many things  Smiley

I LOVE the idea of the mixed advent kartiana! Not so much pressure then. It would be a fun idea as well to include a "DIY" kit where you'd wrap up pieces of it and hide them in the calendar so your partner has to try and guess what it is as more and more are opened. 

Dinkime! Welcome to the discussion! I'm not aiming for any particular month with this swap. The goal doesn't HAVE to be for December Advents. The whole point is to AVOID holiday madness and extra crafting pressure! Heck, send outs could be in January or February! That way people will have opportunities to use all the awesome new crafty supplies and gadgets they get from the holidays Wink AND get a break for their poor fingers, which no doubt have sewn/knitted/hammered/burned themselves to the bone with holiday crafting.

But...still can't organize  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016 08:27:24 AM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016 06:33:21 AM »

Bookmarking this.  Great idea to have a more secular theme, and to have a mixup of crafties, goodies, and notes/quotes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...