A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,840
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weasley Clock  (Read 1576 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , clock  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
fatewineroses
« on: July 27, 2016 03:23:37 PM »

My partner (rjannelle) in the Burrow Swap REALLY REALLY wanted a clock like Molly Weasley has. I mean, she REALLY wanted one. Capital letters and exclamation points here people! Painting and things like that are completely out of my roundhouse though. I've done basic stuff; but nothing like would be required to do this project. But she REALLY wanted one and I like challenges...so why the heck not!?! Right? Right.

Originally I wanted to make it a functional clock that had all of the Weasley family on their separate hands. But once I got the clock motor with extra long shaft, installed it (and the Weasleys!), I found out it didn't work.  Cry There was not enough time to have it replaced. There were tears. There was a meltdown (Ask my bf. He had to talk me down from the ledge.).

Then I pulled myself together (Somewhat. There were still tears.) and went to the store(s).

As a compromise, I sent the clock as a clock. And then I also sent the pieces to make it into a decorative piece with just the Weasley hands...or her own family if she so chose. And after all of that, she loved it. So that's a win.

The face was done in antique white and navy blue. The script was done in black. I wanted to do it in brown to give it some warmth; but could not find a brown that made me happy. I didn't shade it at all because I didn't trust myself to not mess it up. I sealed it with a satin finish.

If you're wondering about the process. No. I did not freehand it. I am NOT that talented. I printed a picture from the web of the face of the clock, made sure it was the right size, then used some transfer paper to copy it on the painted face. Then I painted it all in. Super easy, if time consuming.

I made the Weasleys from a piece of cardstock and thin cardboard glued together and then painted silver. After the picture was glued on, I also painted them with a satin finish. I made some blanks if rjannelle wanted to add her family in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
theartofarejay
The Art of RJ Anderson

Aspiring art-nerd/biologist

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016 04:54:34 PM »

Was my coveting a Weasley clock really that obvious Wink Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My home is deep in the forest near the roots of the mountains."
"Mornings are for coffee and contemplation."
"Pity the poor in spirit who know neither the enchantment nor the beauty of language."

https://www.instagram.com/lotus.eater.art/
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016 08:07:30 AM »

It's too bad that you couldn't get it to work the way you wanted (I'd have a fit too!)  I dunno much about clockwork, but, for that many hands, maybe you'd need a clock with stronger workings or something, and I can see how the multiple clock hands might potentially snag on each other too if they weren't perfectly aligned/spaced.

Anyhoo, what you did create still looks good and it was thoughtful of you to include blanks for rjannelle to do up her own family as the hands if she wants to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fatewineroses
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016 11:34:02 AM »

Was my coveting a Weasley clock really that obvious Wink Tongue

Yep. Direct quote from questionnaire: "Any special wishes? I LOVE the Weasley Clock!!! I would be so happy to receive a clock, or a Weasley clock themed craft"

The capitalization of the entire word "love" and multiple exclamation points kind of hinted at your desire for the Weasley clock.  Cheesy Grin

Thanks Patraw!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
theartofarejay
The Art of RJ Anderson

Aspiring art-nerd/biologist

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016 05:11:54 PM »

Hehe... Ok, you're right Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My home is deep in the forest near the roots of the mountains."
"Mornings are for coffee and contemplation."
"Pity the poor in spirit who know neither the enchantment nor the beauty of language."

https://www.instagram.com/lotus.eater.art/
steiconi
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016 08:15:32 PM »

that's really lovely!
both the clock and the story
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...