A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
241 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seeking a good surface for multimedia art (pencil, marker, paint, pens, etc.)  (Read 1096 times)
Tags for this thread: mixed_media , help , markers , paint , gel_pen , ink , stamping  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bhevarri

~LizzyLovesSatan~

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2016 06:42:08 PM »

I've been moving more into doing mixed media work lately, and have run into a small dilemma with my work surface -

I want something that I can use with paints (acrylic, maybe watercolor?, puff paint), inks, art markers (I have a big set coming to me finally, and I am really jazzed about using them!), gelpens (I am in love with gelpens and have two sets of dimensional ones that are absolutely lovely), maybe colored pencil, and other media like embossing powders, stamping, tape/glue, and so on.

1. Plain paper is not ideal as the wetter mediums make it buckle.
2. Even watercolor paper gets a bit bendier than I like, and more absorbent papers (watercolor, bristol board) will suck up my markers too much.
3. I thought about using thin wooden boards, but I would need to cover them somehow to get a clean background, and it seems that gesso and acrylic paints don't play well with markers, and I am dubious about the ability to use some other media over that as well. I also want a smooth surface to start with, so that I can create my own texture instead of messing with what is already there. Is there anything I could coat a board with to create a nice surface for artwork?
4. I also thought about using foam board, but I wouldn't be able to sketch on it first and I am not sure how it would work with markers and paints (but it's probably worth a go just to see what it will do anyway)
5. Chipboard was my next thought, but according to other folks it sucks up ink a lot and I worry it might buckle and bend as well.

So I am here!

Can you recommend any surfaces that would work well for this sort of thing?
Is there a type or paper that could serve me well?

I really am open to whatever suggestions you might have! Just as long as it won't react very badly to the materials I want to be using, and ideally will be fairly rigid and won't warp if I use paints and inks on it. Something CHEAP is even better, I am finally really a starving artist (it had to happen sometime, I guess!) so I welcome any suggestions that are friendly to the nearly empty wallet Smiley

I feel like Bristol board might be my best bet, but all the bad stuff I have heard about using it with markers has me worried!

Thanks so much for your insight!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016 09:45:56 PM by bhevarri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chek101
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016 06:09:07 PM »

I discovered a nice smooth service to work on that I believe would be just right for your needs. It's called aguabord (by Ampersand) and it comes in a variety of sizes. I buy the one that is 1/8th thick. It is a solid piece of masonite with I think some kind of white paper type glued onto it...anyway I think that's what it is. But the surface is very smooth and easy to draw on.  Buy a small one and test her out...you are going to love it!!! I have worked in acrylics and water color and color pencil and ink...tho the ink tended to rub off on my finger tips...think I need to find me a better pen. Let me know if you try it.
chek

Just to add, I generally work with the board standing in my lap while it is leaning against the table edge. That way I can get "close" to my work. My eye sight isn't that great anymore.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016 06:12:09 PM by chek101 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vkvhawk
Hobbes?

Magestic is a wonderful word

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016 09:25:51 AM »

I would recommend canvas boards. They come in a booklet form and can be ripped off. They aren't as thick as normal hard canvas's but are not flexible like watercolour paper. It's about 1/16" thick. The texture to paint on is nice as well. I get mine from Curry's Art store but I would imagine you could find them in any art place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can someone knit me a Hobbes? I can trade painted cards, quilt blocks, mug rugs or something... Smiley Pm me if you are interested!
JulesMadden
Jules Madden

Artist/ crafter/ maker/ mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017 01:32:36 AM »

What about gluing (mod podge?) some paper, either cartridge or water-colour paper to thin board to stop the warping, then give it a coat of a matte medium to take away some of the absorbability?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted to living the creative life! Visit me on my creative blog http://julesmadden.blogspot.com.au
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017 08:08:36 AM »

I would recommend canvas boards...from Curry's Art store...

I'm going to curry's today, I'll look for those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...