A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
185 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A new house means a new garden.  (Read 3225 times)
Tags for this thread: raised_bed_garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2016 04:43:25 PM »

4 cubic yards of soil carted by wheelbarrow to the back yard. The chiropractor is my best friend right now.

The mister was wearing his beautiful Fluevog boots to do this job, the loon.

We hired a local farmer to build the boxes and plan out some plantings. Hoping to implement some more of those ideas next season.

The back yard is nearly all concrete.

All the tomatoes and squash came from a friend's compost pile so no idea what they'll be aside from organic, heirloom and amazing.

Sweet potatoes the squirrels like to dig up. I shook a generous dusting of cayenne over the soil, hope that keeps the wee evil diggers out of there.

Cucumber! I ate it, it was delicious Grin.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017 10:02:46 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016 04:56:44 PM »

Hooray for gardening!  Take that, concrete!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016 07:08:23 PM »

Love that you "salvaged" so many of your plants. The beds look great! Hope they provide all kinds of yummy delights, and not just for the squirrels lol. You will have to let us know what crunching the number lessons figure out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016 06:22:42 PM »

Looks wonderful - darned squirrels.  If you have a friend who has a fluffy sheddy dog too, you can put some of the dog fur around and see if that will help.  The problem with the cayenne is that if they get it on their paws, then rub it in their eyes or something, it can cause them a great deal of pain and agony.  I used to use the cayenne and critter ridder, which has pepper too, but stopped when my vets office told me that.

Also, my mom and dad, ex-farmers and avid urban veggie gardeners, swear by using broken/old CDs and DVDs hanging about in the garden - the shine/shimmer and movement seems to scare the buggers away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016 05:53:11 AM »

I've also heard of people using windchimes or empty gallon milk jugs on strings that, when they are hung, make a lot of noise in the wind.

I only have a tiny little potted garden on my porch, but the windchimes seem to work.  I *THANK GOODNESS* haven't had any fruits or vegs missing.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP: www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016 01:14:36 PM »

Take that, concrete, indeed!

Picked fresh just now, green and red lettuce, arugula, basil, and rainbow chard. We'll have to wait a couple more weeks for another salad, lol, but it's a start Smiley.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016 01:16:24 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016 12:20:45 PM »

We don't have cement, but we do have lava with only 2-3" of dirt on top, so raised beds are a must.  Here are a few cheapskate planter ideas:

cardboard boxes:  perfect for annuals and root crops like potatoes.  They dissolve in a season, and we can put a new box on top; the plants can reach down into the older soil.  For longer-lived plants, we can add more dirt around the sides as the box disintegrates. 

Washer and dryer tubs:  good for shrubs and small trees, these take a LOT of soil.  Some dryer tubs have no back (bottom in our use); others have a more or less solid back.  Get them at appliance repair/recycle places.  They're $5 each where I live.  There's also some choice in size; apartment and stackable appliances have cute, smaller tubs.

commercial planting bags:  made of synthetic fabric, they unfold to hold quite a bit of soil ready for planting.  Come in lots of sizes.

We also built a greenhouse; we joke about $500 tomatoes.  But it lets us grow away from the fruit flies that spoil so much fruit here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016 05:30:59 PM »

Update photos added to first post. We lost some plants to pests, not just squirrels and birds. The tomatoes and squash went a bit crazy too and are now over crowded, I'll anticipate that in future. Our next effort will be more refined Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016 12:20:48 AM »

Do you prune your tomatoes?  That may help.  I am a lazy gardener, so I don't do it.  I know I should, but I just don't.  But it takes care of the overgrowth (duh), and directs more of the plants energy to the a smaller number of branches as opposed to all those rambling tips, and allows more sun to reach the leaves and fruit more effectively.

http://www.finegardening.com/pruning-tomatoes

I really should - I know I should - but as much as I love a pretty garden, I love crafting more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016 06:14:36 AM »

I don't prune them, no. I've read opinions on both sides of the issues from experienced gardeners, some who swear by it and others who say they've tried both with no discernible difference in results so... I don't feel bad about not doing it, lol.
The garage in the back yard is in the spot that gets the most sun, we don't use it so it's coming down this year and we'll fence and cover it for planting rows next year. We'll keep some of the boxes, move one to the front yard between the driveway and the walk, and gain back some of the play space in the yard for the kids. The far back of the yard is shady so we're going to move the railroad ties, rocks and soil back there and brick it over for a seating area. I'll post progress pics as it goes along. We've got plans to reclaim some of the weathered tongue and groove the garage is made out of for a new, smaller shed for our coffee roaster. And we've decided not to build a porch off the back of the house but put up a small greenhouse/potting shed there. We're pretty excited about all that, wish us luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...