A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mamu Imke  (Read 1633 times)
Tags for this thread: mamu , imke , peasant_dress , plus_size_dress , batik , summer_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
iloveskirts

You can never have enough fabric!!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2016 10:20:57 AM »

I recently made this dress for myself. I like it because it's easy to alter. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a first time sewist for a couple of reasons. First off, there are no directions on making the casing for the elastic in the neck, on the sleeves if you choose to use one, or at the empire waist. Now if you've already done this kind of thing it's easy, but if you're just learning you'll want to use a more descriptive pattern first. Also, there aren't directions on how to put the two pieces of the bodice together (there's an extension on a second page) or how to best lay out the pattern. Again, intermediate or advanced sewists won't have trouble with this but it could be confusing for beginners. Oh, and the patterns are made to be traced, not cut...I use freezer paper from the grocery store because I find it's more sturdy than pattern tracing stuff and it's cheaper. I go through rolls of it around the holidays with 13 grandkids to sew for.

That being said, I love this pattern! I altered it by adding width to the sleeves, placing the pattern an inch from the center fold (the biggest size doesn't quite accommodate my tummy) and flaring the skirt part out so the bottom was a total of 12" wider than the original pattern. I also added 4" in length to the skirt. It goes together really fast because you just sew the sleeves to the front and back, sew the side seams, add the casing and elastic, hem the dress and sleeves and you're done! I chose to add the waistline casing after I had completed one side seam so I didn't have to try to sew it while the dress was like a tube, though that's not necessarily harder. It's just something I prefer to do. I use single fold bias tape for casing and 3/8" elastic for this peasant-style garment - it seems to be just the right size.

This is best made with a woven fabric. I used a blue and teal-green batik I got online because I like how the bias on batiks has a bit more give than some other cottons. Fabrics can be mixed if you want; this particular dress I made all one color because I love this fabric!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.  Mamu makes great patterns as long as you have a grasp on basic sewing techniques.

So here's the completed dress:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016 03:55:07 PM »

You really nailed this! I envy your sewing skills and your ability to work with a pattern even when it isn't clear. And I love the fabric! Those swirls are so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwality570
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016 08:11:31 AM »

This turned out to be a really pretty dress! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...