A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
186 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baking Cookies in your Car...  (Read 1424 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate_chip , baking , cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 15, 2016 05:38:34 PM »

Yes, tons of people have done this, but I'm gunning for the "Community" bonus points in the Summer Nerd Games (come play, you haven't even missed anything this round!). So. Hot day. Car. Cookies. Baking!

Cut to the chase, yes, yes, it did work!

I started with store-bought cookies dough, because I was lazy.  For this reason, I can't say if the flavor/texture was the same as if baked in an oven, or close, because I haven't used refrigerated cookie dough for anything but eating raw since... ever.  They were slightly chewy and yet a little crumbly.  I also regret, in a way, not springing for the $8 oven thermometer, so I can only guess at the temperature in the car.

Starting (the minifig is because the picture was for my #beaunicorn posts on instagram!):

Maybe I should have flattened them?

Anyway, at 10am the outside temperature was 87*F and inside... my guess is "tin roof on an intermittently cloudy day".  Melting has begun:

Noonish, the temperature outside has risen to 94*F and the bad news is that they've lowered to expected high from 99*F to 96*F - just one degree above the necessary temperature, so the internet tells me.  Still, full sun, so I'm thinking inside the car is "sixth circle of Hades" hot:

2 pm and it's actually gotten up to 96*F, definite firming going on.  Temperature inside the car upgraded to "who opened the door to the blast furnace?!":

And, finally, at 4pm it was 98*F out and the inside of the car, I can confirm, was Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Face-Meltingly Hot.  And I do think they were sufficiently cooked.  If they weren't, well, I also ate about six cookies worth of raw dough, so... *shrugs*.  If I were to do it again I might do smaller cookies and flatten them to begin with, but it was a fun experiment!

Oh, and my car was only mildly cookie-scented at the end of the day, but there were also only the six cookies, so...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016 06:08:58 PM »

Fun experiment! I wonder how it would go if I try it when it's 120* here on Sunday.... 

P.S. Your Instagram hashtag looks fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016 07:17:36 PM »

I'm melting just thinking of that...  Eeeep!  I'd say you'd only need 4-5 hours, and should start checking them at 30 minute intervals, but I think you should do it!  Cheesy

It's a fun little Instagram diversion, I'm not a selfie person, so these are stand-in selfies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016 01:14:17 AM »

What a great idea, Smeddley! Shame the weather in Scotland doesn't really provide the proper temperatures for that kind of experiment, so back to the oven it is!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016 07:02:24 AM »

I would trade you for Scotland's weather in a heartbeat! We get alllllll the horrible weather here, I just want a nice, constant, mild climate. Wet and cloudy I can deal with, someone else can have our extremes... :/

Though good thing I did it yesterday, they lowered the forecasted high for today to 94*F and it's cloudy and might storm.  I'm going to hope, futility, I'm sure, that was my only day to do it this summer... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016 05:02:29 PM »

I had never heard of this baking method but I did open my car's door and found it hot like an oven many times.
Not only did you get to eat cookies, your car must smell wonderfully good too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016 02:39:11 PM »

What a fun experiment! 

It reminds me of my childhood; when we went on long trips in the camper, my parents would cook meals on the manifold (that's something in or around the engine--or at least under the hood--that gets very hot when you drive). 

As I recall, it involved a lot of foil carefully pleated together to make a water-tight seal (whatever the manifold is, apparently you can't just balance a pot on top of it) and a several-hour drive, but did result in a hot meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
martinnathalie9
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016 07:53:05 AM »

What a brilliant thought, wish I'd had that idea when I was racing to my friends baby shower. Got her some lovely new baby gifts http://www.biscuiteers.com/shop/send-a-gift/new-baby-gifts to make up for it later on though! Do you reckon changing the recipe would have made any difference next time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...