A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Junk Journals - SU 6/13-6/27 SO 8/3  (Read 14482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2016 11:51:02 AM »

... glue mediums have definitely touched fabric/materials... it's *ON*!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greybird
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2016 03:06:35 PM »

I'm in between rounds of gesso-ing.  I ran out of space to put drying items. Cheesy 

That has happened to me before too!   Cheesy  I ended up using magnets and hanging things on my metal shelves to get more pieces in the drying phase.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2016 12:30:51 AM »

I've had a very productive weekend so far.  Many pages done and a definite plan is in place!  Now to pull it all together.  (And to clean up the gigantic mess of papers, glue, paint, gesso and bits and pieces!). 
I was watching The Lost Boys while crafting away.  I wonder how much of that atmosphere seeped through.  😀   I hope my partner likes that movie!  I was pleased to find it holds up over all these years. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2016 07:26:07 AM »

So I am super new to the whole junk journal think apparently. I was wondering what everyone is applying gesso to. I thought everything was supposed to be a mix of junk and decorative papers that you wouldn't want to cover up, so I didn't put gesso on any of the pages I've done so far. And I didn't think any of the example blogs, videos, or instructions links from geekgirl had pages that looked like gesso was applied. Can someone fill me in on this? Sorry for such newbie questions... If you don't want to spoil surprises for your partner in the thread, feel free to drop me a PM to talk about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Onyxnox

« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2016 08:13:04 AM »

A wash of gesso can be used on surfaces that are too slick to give something to give grip to, to make more of a drawing/writing surface - you can thin the gesso out so that some of the images show through, or to mute some images.  It can also be used to prep fabric surfaces for decorating too, or give a bit of body and stiffness for delicate surfaces.  Or hide images you don't want to show.

Some people, like myself, may also be decorating some of their surfaces too - I have not used gesso as yet, but I have some gessoed art canvas which I may include as pages - as I bought a roll of canvas at a tent sale, but thought it was raw canvas, not prepped.  But I likely will be adding some inking, stampings, collaged elements, or whatnot to several of the pages.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016 08:13:30 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2016 10:32:11 AM »

So I am super new to the whole junk journal think apparently. I was wondering what everyone is applying gesso to. I thought everything was supposed to be a mix of junk and decorative papers that you wouldn't want to cover up, so I didn't put gesso on any of the pages I've done so far. And I didn't think any of the example blogs, videos, or instructions links from geekgirl had pages that looked like gesso was applied. Can someone fill me in on this? Sorry for such newbie questions... If you don't want to spoil surprises for your partner in the thread, feel free to drop me a PM to talk about it.

Might be different based on what the journal will be used for, too.  After chatting with my partner, I'm gessoing so there are obvious spaces to art and write on the junk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharalee
http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

Re:
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2016 10:42:32 AM »

I have gesso several thin pages together then it makes it thicker & then you can paint, glue things on add fabrics & laces etc. on. It's just a little easier to add things too. At least that's what I do.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
greybird
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2016 02:19:30 PM »

A wash of gesso can be used on surfaces that are too slick to give something to give grip to, to make more of a drawing/writing surface - you can thin the gesso out so that some of the images show through, or to mute some images.

A wash of white acrylic paint or gesso to mute out the images is what I was thinking too.  Gesso is also used to make the surface more grippy.   Since its a junk journal, I think you might still want to see some of the original 'junk' images showing through, but it would be hard to journal or do art over some sorts of junk papers like those larger glossy advertising postcards without any sort of surface prep.   

Here's a tutorial on gessoing over things for a composition notebook.  She takes hers to fully white pages, which you might not want to do for a junk journal, but it might help to see her tutorial.    Smiley
http://www.lilblueboo.com/2009/07/making-composition-book-art-journal.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2016 03:29:24 PM »

Great idea to use the gesso to make thicker pieces.  

I am done two covers and about 6 two sided pages - though I may add some more colour and decoration.  I have added lots of pockets and bit so far so things can be added by my partner.

So far, my journal is bigger than I thought, but I wanted more space to work in too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016 03:30:09 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2016 07:31:39 PM »

Thank you for asking that, PB! I'm a newbie too and wasn't sure how crazy to go with the gesso Smiley. I ended up gesso'ing pages here and there but not all of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...