A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shattered Dreams  (Read 2085 times)
Tags for this thread: mosaic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Junk4Joy
« on: April 27, 2016 09:42:35 PM »

Snippets of blue and green paper cut from old magazines and glued to canvas board that I painted black. Sorry the photo's not great, this is the best I could manage for the time being.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016 02:49:39 AM »

Beautiful - is this the finished piece, or in progress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Junk4Joy
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016 04:26:27 AM »

I have been undecided about it's doneness since I went a step beyond where I was really happy with it. I'm a bit over thinking about the best way to move on with it to be honest, but your comment has definitely made me reconsider my decision to just let it be.  Or perhaps I should call it Abandoned Dreams instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekgirl1000100
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016 04:46:32 AM »

I think it's beautiful, as is.
What size is it?
I know if I did something like that, all you would see is glue everywhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016 06:29:53 AM »

Striking!  What an interesting way to do mosaic...it looks so detailed and perfect. So many tiny pieces. What type of glue do you use to ensure the pieces don't come up?

The design is gorgeous just as it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
Junk4Joy
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016 03:21:15 PM »

geekgirl - it's 12x12 inches. The glue is not so much of a problem as the dust that settles in it (and in the black paint).

aimr - believe me, it's far from perfect. I started out using a matt varnish as the glue, but it moistens the paper too much and the colour ('scuse my Aussie spelling) often came off on my fingers when I pressed the pieces down. I also used a UHU glue stick, but it can be a bit lumpy and the bits can fall off if they're not pressed down really hard. I'm going to buy some gel medium today so I can see how that goes.

BeaG - I love your magazine mosaic collages, they're gorgeous! My efforts certainly do not beat yours, though the styles are quite different.

Thanks to all of you for saying it's beautiful as it is, but I can absolutely see why Onyxnox would ask if it was a work in progress. I've decided really like the title 'Abandoned Dream', it's much more appropriate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jazzminh
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016 02:42:17 AM »

Completed or not, the piece is beautiful!

I do a lot of work with recycled paper and have experience with the glue dilemma... One way to overcome the problem: use white glue (like Elmer's) diluted 1:1 with water. Apply it to the surface and as you go along, apply to the entire surface (including areas where you don't stick snippets) - so that it also serves as a sealant and you get a uniform appearance. You may want to put on a layer of actual sealant when you finish and if you have a problem with tackiness - a bit of clear furniture polish on a soft rag with make it go away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Junk4Joy
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016 04:49:57 PM »

jazzminh - thanks so much for the tips. I have a problem with dust, especially on the black background, but I've bought a few very little canvas boards to experiment with and I will definitely give your suggested technique a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...