A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 320,277
Currently Running With Scissors:
271 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Party Food Labels  (Read 1747 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , party_planning  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Magpirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2016 06:09:53 AM »

My 30th birthday was last Saturday, and I had a big Doctor Who party to celebrate.  I made a post for the entire party over on the Occasions and Holidays board, but I felt that the food labels I made deserved their own post so I could go into more detail about them ('cause let's be honest, I'm really proud of how they turned out).

Here they all are, minus the food they're supposed to label, because it didn't occur to me to take pictures of the party until after it was all over...

The main course was brats & burgers that my girlfriend (actually mostly my girlfriend's sister, I'll have to send her a thank-you card for it) cooked on the grill.  I didn't have cute labels for them, or the buns/cheese/lettuce/tomato/onions/condiments to put on them, but I tried to tie all the sides and snacks into the theme.  Since there were people at my party who had never watched Doctor Who, I wanted to make it clear how everything related to the show.  I figured the best way to do that was to have screenshots from the show with quotes about the food and also labels so they would know what was what.

I got the screenshots from this website and this website.  This collection of Doctor Who episode transcripts was also a valuable resource.  I made the actual labels in GIMP.

We had a fruit bowl with apples ("Apples are rubbish." - Eleventh Doctor), bananas ("Bananas are good." - Nine), and tangerines ("Nobody likes the tangerines." - Twelve)

For side dishes, there were baked beans ("Ah, you see.  Beans."/"Beans are evil.  Bad bad beans!" - Eleven) and pasta salad made with bow tie pasta ("Bow ties are cool." - Eleven).

There were also potato chips, which I labeled "Sontaran chips" ("I'm the clever one.  You're the potato one!" - Eleven [with Strax]), French Onion chip dip ("Have you met the French?  My god they know how to party!" - Ten), and a veggie tray which I didn't have a screenshot label for since I couldn't find screencaps of the Time Crash short - I wanted to use the bit where Ten says to Five "Not a lot of men can carry off a decorative vegetable."  I did label them "decorative vegetables," though.

As for desserts, I got some Jammie Dodgers from Publix ("TARDIS self-destruct...my ship goes, you all go with it."/"All right, it's a Jammie Dodger.  But I was promised tea!" - Eleven) and some lady fingers cookies to eat with the custard which I also got from Publix ("I know what I need...fish fingers and custard." - Eleven) - on the text label I printed "Fish Fingers and Custard" then crossed out "Fish" and wrote in "Lady."  Oh and we had Adipose marshmallows ("I'm waving at fat." - Donna Noble).

We also had cupcakes with chocolate TARDISes and Daleks on them, which I figured would not require labels, and a birthday cake which I turned Whovian by the simple expedient of dropping a toy TARDIS on top.  My girlfriend did take a few party pictures, so here's the only one of the food:

Feel free to use the labels for your own Doctor Who party!  I can send the original files to anyone who's interested - I actually printed them together, four to a page, with white space above them so they could be folded into free-standing tent shapes.  PM me your email address if you want them.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016 08:27:03 PM by Magpirate - Reason: added link to party post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shiny.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016 06:24:23 AM »

Best party ever!!!

I really love how you found the food quotes and used them---a true fan!!!  I am such a nerd because when I watch the shows (over and over!), I have a notebook where I write down the quote and the episode for future use...love love this!

The bow ties are cool made me laugh!  So clever!

Thanks for sharing your special day and the fabulous Dr. Who crafts you made to make it that special!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 23/50
PINTEREST
436 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016 07:41:17 AM »

I can attest to the fact that everything was even more adorable in person!  Fantastic party Magpirate.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016 11:55:06 AM »

What fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magpirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016 09:41:30 AM »

Thanks everyone!  I had nearly as much fun planning and preparing for the party as I had actually attending it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shiny.
amy22
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016 04:50:19 PM »

How funny! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees
Meatless Monday: Homemade Sauerkraut

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...