A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Mache Garden Gnomes for a Spoof!  (Read 1971 times)
Tags for this thread: paper_mache , gnome  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2016 02:16:04 PM »

My  wife is a sexton for a church. This involves maintaining the grounds as well. This winter an area washed out and a member helped shore up and replant an area. As they were working, they decided that the area needed garden gnomes, at least long enough to spoof the building and grounds committee (who don't really go for garden gnomes on church property, I really don't know what is wrong with them!).

But the search for gnomes was in vain, they were either hibernating, on holiday, or down south for the winter. Not one of them were willing to come to the Northeast and stand in chilly mud.

So one Friday evening we raided the newspaper pile, grabbed tape, tubes, and watered down glue and made a couple of gnomes. We definitely had different visions of gnomes, but they both seemed happy. The drying time made us a bit nervous, but they got painted and were in place by Monday evening.

It was a big success. Very stony reception to the gnomes! Until the giggles started. The gnomes refused to stay out overnight and now reside amongst the plants in the office admins office. No one tells her what decorations she can have in her office.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016 02:16:34 PM by cmarion3 - Reason: gnome, paper mache, papier mache, garden » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016 08:45:48 AM »

haha!!  these are great! I would have loved to be a "fly" on the proverbial bush to have seen the expressions on the faces of those who were greeted with your little visitors.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Unicorn imposters are everywhere--stay vigilant!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016 09:32:35 AM »

Cool pair of gnomes!  I like the shorter fellow with the bent hat--he looks like he's probably a troublemaker too!

If I had to guess (and assuming the place of worship you're speaking of is Christian), I'd speculate that the church building/grounds committee's objections to gnomes would be that they're Greek in origin, not Christian, and are probably viewed as "pagan" as a result (historically, gnomes started out as earth elementals, along with undines for water, salamanders for fire, and sylphs for air--although that was more of an alchemical thing than religious though).

Papier mache is difficult to keep waterproof, so it's probably better that they remain indoors anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016 03:38:43 PM »

YEs, they were never meant to stay outside. We don't want to encourage "donations" of other yard art. It's a Unitarian Universalist church, so there's nothing against the little guys in a religious vein. No, the objection is, um, how do I put this....well I'll just say it: The old farts want over fertilized green grass, boring trimmed hedges and a bit of respectability. The sustainable living folks want drought resistant native plants, low maintenance, eco friendly landscaping. The eco folks win, because there is no budget for over fertilized grass...and too much shade! So the gnomes were just a nose tweaking (all in good fun) at the stodgier camp.

Thanks, I did the little guy with the bent hat, my dw did the larger one, you should see the derriere on him! It was great fun building them in the living room...we made a big mess and had a fun competition in the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Taramor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016 08:31:04 AM »

Love Them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Unicorn imposters are everywhere--stay vigilant!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016 02:22:09 PM »

Well, it's great that your church is so open-minded, theologically, but's it's a shame they're not as welcoming to wee bearded fellows.  Lawn gnomes (not to mention fairies, flamingos, mushrooms, etc.) add respectability to the grounds of any establishment in my opinion.

Bit of a tangent, but did you know there's a movement to "liberate" lawn gnomes?  So hilarious!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome_Liberation_Front#Garden_Gnome_Liberation_Front

Better watch out; yours could be next!!! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...